Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, after the Estuary here froze over, I padded across the river to a DEM designated hunting area... Big yellow signs on posts in the marsh. As I started to throw out my decoys, a guy paddled over in his kayak. He said I couldn't hunt there. I told him I was on state property, and pointed to the signs. He said he owned the property, had two little girls in a house up the bank and didn't want us there with our scatter guns. I told him I had been hunting there about fifteen years, he said he didn't care and was going to sit in front of us until we left. I paddled across the river, walked to a payphone in two fet of snow, and called fish and game. They were too busy to send anyone. I told them to send an officer to my house as soon as possible. My friend and I gave statements and the location of the guy's house. The officers questioned the man. He admitted paddling out and telling us to get lost. When the officers told him he had no right to do that, he said he was not going to allow hunting in that area since he had two little kids who like to stomp around in the marsh. The wardens gave him a warning. I told them I wanted to press charges. They told me it was a civil matter and I could sue him for $500 for a missed opportunity at a day's hunting. I had to go to a courthouse, pick up papers, pay a marshall to serve him papers, go to court, pay court costs, and maybe get $500. I have been harrassed by DEM, for legally hunting, filed complaints against them, and been let down by them more than once. The hunter harrassment law as useless as the people who enforce it. I see the day when I'll be regulated right out of this place by people who'se job is to protect hunter's rights.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
rob p said:
They told me it was a civil matter and I could sue him for $500 for a missed opportunity at a day's hunting.
If the person who attempted to stop you from hunting violated the established terms for hunter harrassment ( as I posted in the other thread ), it is a criminal violation and not a civil one.

If there is perhaps a gray area, then the state courts, not wardens should be the ones to determine whether a matter is civil or criminal.

IMO -- You weren't wronged by the law itself, but rather by the authorities who failed to properly enforce it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts