Archery Talk Forum banner

Antique carved flat bow native american??

4088 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  captainj
Ok i have an old hand carved flatbow and would love to know if its native american.
The bow measures 56 3/4" long with a round leather wraped handle very thick leather.
The top of the bow is dark and the underside is much lighter.
If you run your fingers down the bow you can tell its hand carved but dont know what kind of wood.
This bow is old at least 100 years could be alot older.
The amages with 2 bows the one in question is the top bow.
Any help

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
55,478 Posts
I don't know the name/company that made them but I really don't think you have what you think you do. They look very much like a production bow that are more than likely no more tha about 25 years old.

· <--- Finally!!
2,579 Posts
I would be very surprised if it is an indian bow. I have never seen one with metal rings, they are usually self bows. What makes you so sure it is over 100 years old? Looks to me like something from the 40's or 50's.

· Registered
2,109 Posts
Looks like a show peace to me. Built to be put on the wall for people look at not to shoot

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its very hard for you to see from the pictures I just want someone to tell me what kind of wood this what country you think its from and why.
The hide grip is no normal leather its 1/8" thick and very old. The newest this bow could be is 1920 But again I think its older.

· Registered
9,659 Posts
The metal bands at the handle would make me think it is not Native American, though this possibly could have been added later. As far as what wood, how hard is the wood? How heavy is the bows physical weight? What is the approximate draw weight? If the top bow was photographed after shooting without the limbs being "straightened out", then it is a very well made bow. Most self bows have more string follow than that bow has. That would seem to indicate a very good bow wood like Osage, which would be very hard and much heavier than average wood.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.