1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I'd like to see the point limit brought up to 8 points. Then QDM WOULD protect the young bucks with great genetics. I let those little year and 1/2 old basket racked 8's and 10's go everytime. Shoot a doe if you want the meat. If you really want a little rack to put in your shoebox, go down to the local butcher . . . he'll have plenty.

Additionally, I wouldn't say it is backfiring, just because the system doesn't work as well as it could.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Personally, i'd like to see an 8pt or bette rule in illinois an wisconsin, in addition i'd like them to be at LEAST even with the ears 12-15in wide, startiing letting those prodigy bucks grow, i've seen 12pt 1 1/2 year old monsters, that woulda been amazing in 2-3 years, a shame they got wacked at an early age... like my signature says.. shot a doe and watch them grow, i shot a hog of a doe this weekend, and passed up an 8pt that most people would have shot.. rougly 10in g2s and a 14in spread. shot the doe 5min after he left..

·
Registered
937 Posts
4 point restrictions

melagris

the rules are 4 points per side. same as pa.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I've heard PA has some areas that have different restrictions. Some areas it is 4 points total and some its 4 points a side.
I hope its 4 per side, otherwise the program wouldn't do much to prevent the killing of year and 1/2 bucks.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Meleagris1 said:
I've heard PA has some areas that have different restrictions. Some areas it is 4 points total and some its 4 points a side.
I hope its 4 per side, otherwise the program wouldn't do much to prevent the killing of year and 1/2 bucks.
Some areas is 3-point per side, some is 4-point per side.....

4 total points will get you an expensive award from the G.C.:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
In Pa. you can have a total of 4pts. but it better be a half rack. A buck can have a spike on one side and 4 on the other and be legal. I know since the new point res. I have seen a great deal more 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year old bucks. I held out before but now its nice to see some of those live.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Point restrictions are not the only way to increase trophies,,,,read the above links...we are having to let a lot of trash racks walk only to see them again the next year......we are taking only good ones out of the gene pool....in arkansas...some areas are tending to backfire!

·
Registered
545 Posts
A public hunting area near me has a 14" spread rule in effect. It has been for a couple of years now. I talked to a DNR officer and he has seen at least 20 bucks in the 150 class this year in this area. I think it is a good rule myself. This used to be a war zone come gun season. It has cut down on alot of people going in there and just blasting anything that moves. I was in there once hunting with my stepfather and seen a guy walk up to him from across a field. I could see them talking. 5 minutes later he motioned for me. As we walked to the truck he told me the guy had just bought a 270 the day before and wanted my stepfather to load it for him. SCARY ain't it. I haven't gun hunted the place since (25yrs.) Enough of my ramblings. I would like to see more does harvested and let the immature bucks walk. There needs to be a balance.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Any buck that is older than 1 and 1/2 is a trophy in our area(unfortunately). I agree there might be other ways to get a more natural age structure in the population, but you need something that is clear cut to average folks. We may be able to tell a 1, 2 or 3 year old deer apart in the field but most hunters can't. They need a clear way of identifying a "shooter". Also, I have seen some real scrawny racked 3 and 4 points turn into heavy wide 8 points. You really don't knowwhat you've got until the deer is at least 4 years old. Its a tough call, but there are some great biologists working on the problem and I'm sure we'll see some tweaking of the system in the coming years.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Point restrictions may not be ideal, but the average hunter will not voluntarily be selective. Ideally, we'd only shoot older deer. Let the juvenile deer grow a bit and then shoot them when they're at least 2.5 or 3.5 years old, not when they have a certain number of points.

Unfortunately, about the only way the average hunter has a decent chance at shooting a little bit older deer, is with point restrictions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
TreeJumper said:
Some areas is 3-point per side, some is 4-point per side.....

4 total points will get you an expensive award from the G.C.:D
Could be a 3 x1 and be legal (if you want one that small). ;) Let a 3 x2 walk this evening. 10 yds broadside when he hooked a tree and gave it whatfor. But its still early - ill wait for his papa. Came in to my primos doe bleat, raking trees all the way in.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Width wont do it either. I've seen some real nice bucks that didn't come out to their ears. A hunting buddy killed a 162 ten pointer on our place that 13 5/8 inside. Narrow and tall.

The only way to have trophy bucks is pass ALL bucks until they are mature. But as Meleagris1 said not a whole lot of hunters can tell a mature buck from a 1 1/2. With experience comes better judgement and selectivity.

BUT - We must stop and think why others hunt. Some folks just want to go deer hunting and couldn't care less about big antlers. Not everyone is after that big racked rascal. Some just want to have a good time with their buddies, maybe shoot a deer or two, put some meat in the freezer and *IF* they get a big rack they'll nail it above the barn door.

Are they wrong and we are right? I don't think so. We all hunt for the same/different reasons...

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
let me ask a crazy question here...i was huntin on public land that has been archery only for 25 yrs now and had 3 bucks come w/in easy bow range of me. all 3 six pointers. but one was obviously at least a year older than the other two, body size was quite a bit bigger and he was obviously older in every respect. i could have killed any of these deer but chose not to. being as this is an archery only area at 7000 acres in size, a thought crossed my mind briefly. should i deliberatly spook these bucks and give them some education?? i realize that most people will think this is crazy, but....if they learn something about hunters will that enable them to live longer possibly?? my thought is yes, and thought they are smarter there is the posibility that they will grow bigger and put more bucks of bigger size out there. maybe i truly am crazy but give me some thoughts on this. easton94

·
Registered
859 Posts
antler restrictions

Mississippi's 4 point rule means total number of points. In their own studies, they determined that this form of protection is flawed. Too many immature bucks are being harvested. Number if points and beam length are both poor indicators of maturity compared to beam length and body structure.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I agree Willie, people hunt for different reasons and not everyone wants a big mature whitetail. I think the thing for these people to do is shoot a doe only. If they don't care what kind of deer they shoot, they should shoot a doe. I don't understand the guys who pass up 15 does to shoot that one little spike horn. :confused:

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Meleagris1,

I agree.

Why waste a potential trophy deer just to say "I got a buck". But I think that the "buck" peer pressure gets them to a point where they think they must get a buck no matter how small it is.

But I am not in their shoes and they are hunting for themselves and not to please me..

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
No restriction is perfect. THe best thing to do is convince hunters to not shoot small ones of thier own merit, and then all other restrictions wouldn't be neccessary. That'll never happen, so some form of restriction is neccessary. I don't believe it is going to churn out HUGE trophy bucks, but it will allow for some nicer ones to be taken here and there. I hate the term trophy hunter. It gives such false impressions in many people's minds.

·
Registered
984 Posts
willie said:

Why waste a potential trophy deer just to say "I got a buck".
When my buddies show me their little 1.5 yr bucks, I usually say somthing like, "Beautiful deer, that buck would have been something else in another 2 or 3 years. He'd have been big, wise and hard to shoot. Good thing you got him while he was still a baby." About half of them think I'm complimenting them, and keep smiling ear to ear. The others often say, they just want some meat. I then mention that in the next year or two, this buck would have had 15-30 lbs more meat, and that the mature does have as much or more meat as "this little guy".

I really have no problem with the guys who hardly ever hunt, shooting the first thing they see, but the guys who go out 30 times a season, year after year, could be shooting the does for meat and shooting larger bucks if they just let the small ones walk for a year or two. Every one of them will tell me, they'd love to be shooting larger bucks, but almost none are willing to let the little ones walk for a single year.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts