Votes: 41 20.1%
  • Don't Care Either Way

Votes: 8 3.9%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would u support an 3 point per side rule in your state?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Where I currently hunt in PA, there's a 4-to-a-side antler restriction. Personally, I like it. Since it's inception three years ago, I've taken a mature buck each year. I don't know if I'd have been able to do that without the restriction.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
My concern would be about the cull bucks that should be taken out of the herd. How should that be handled? For instance a small fork horn with a broken leg, wounded, another lamenss, or worse yet CWD where they need to be harvested as not to spead CWD. If a way to handle those issues could be found it would sound good.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
No.. hunt and kill what you want to kill. Why should anyone else, state or other wise, set our standards for us?

If you want mature deer do it by QDM education instead of a state imposed mandate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In MO, there is a 4 point on one side restriction for most of the state, but not my area's. I wish they would extend that to the whole state. I wish they would make the MO riffle season, shotguns only. We have a ton of deer here, but the orange army never lets the bucks get big, they take out anything that moves. Of course I'm not sure how they'll inforce the anter restriction now that there is no check in stations, only phone or internet checking.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I hunt in Georgia and it is a trophy county and there is a 4 point on one side restriction. But my club also states in has to be a 15 in spread it works well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Why not a 10 point per side rule? I'd be up for that! :tongue:

Naw .... just let hunters impose their own restrictions upon themselves. Personalyl I prefer 3 on a side or better, but people eat meat, not antlers!

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
State wide in Georgia - 2 buck limit, one must have at least 4 points to a side. Some counties have a 4 point to a side rule and some also have a 15" minimum outside spread.

About all the clubs around here have a 4 point on a side earwide rule anyway.
On my club we have relaxed that to a "if outside the ears shoot and then count" rule as we only have a few deer hunters and most are older men that have trouble counting points at any distance at all. I use binoculars full time now :p

·
Registered
548 Posts
I like the concept - I just do not like additional government regulations - individuals should be able to decide.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I am for it because it's gonna make for better buck hunting,but if you are a youngster just getting in to hunting you might get a little upset when you can't kill something because of the rule,and may get a little discouraged of the sport!!!!!!!! :sad: :shade: But where I bowhunt in PA it is 3 point one side and where I gun hunt it is 4 points one side!!!!!!!!! :shade:

·
Registered
642 Posts
We have it hard enough in ct, we dont need it harder!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, I would support the rule. I already belong to a 8 pt. or better bowhunting club. Believe it or not we have some pretty good deer down in Louisiana. If, people would let the bucks grow old, we would have some fantastic deer. I am not one that would push my view on an issue on someone else, but if it came up to a vote, I would vote for the antler restriction.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
:rolleyes: We've got the most pathetic deer herd in the NE US. Antler restrictions?
You bet, Does? I say by lottery only. It really is THAT bad here. I'll get a
non-res in NY, to hunt my own land, I guess.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here in MS we have a 4 pt. or better rule. What ends up happening is a kind of "high grading" as you might see in a timber harvest. In other words, the 2.5 yo 8pts., which would likely be real studs at 4 or 5, get hammered, and the 3 pt., etc. deer, regardless of age, get to do the breeding. If people could understand that you can't keep taking out the best representatives of the herd without detrimental effects, we might have something. Until then........

1 - 20 of 62 Posts