Archery Talk Forum banner

Antlers in velvet?

579 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  archeryhunterME
I was watching one of the hunting shows last evening. The hunter shot a buck in velvet. It made think if there is any special things you should do to protect the velvet. For starters I guess you can't just grab it by the antlers and drag it out? If you drag by the legs you wouldn't want the antlers draging across things? Anyone here have any experience in this area?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
You don't want to pull on hte antlers because you would run a risk of pulling the velvet off.
Get them in a freezer as soon as you can.
When you take them to a Taxidermist have them soak them in methanol for 10 days.

You still have to be careful handling them but then you should be safe.

If the animal is something you want to be entered in to SCI or P&Y make sure you measure it at 61 days. They shrink Big Time.

Mike

· Registered
344 Posts
MJ is right, touch as little as possible, freeze as soon as possible. However we prefer to have the antlers freezedried. THis produces a much nicer and longer lasting velvet. As far as scoring I have never noticed any more shrink, however freeze drying may be stopping that

· Registered
476 Posts
We sliced the tips of my sisters caribou(check out my profile for pics) rack to drain the blood out and then brought it to the taxidermist when we got back. It took about 3 weeks for her to get it back but it looks way cool to see antlers in velevet. My dad also has a caribou rack mount that is still in velvet. I am hoping to do a euro velvet mount this fall if i harvest a nice bull.

· Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,155 Posts
I have shot a 9 pt. and 11 pt. double droptine both in full velvet in the beginning of September, we dragged it out by the horns with no affect to the velvet at all. I got them mounted but peeled off the velvet as I didn't want to go through all of the hassle with preserving it and such.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.