Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving to Texas on the 13th. 1st time hunting hogs. I got the lesson on anatomy of hogs, any other helpful tips? I'll be hunting from a stand and will be buying a good safety harness.
Thank you!!!:teeth:

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
They are loud and can't see to well.....but they can smell better than anything else I've hunted before. Keep you shots LOW!

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
I'm guessing your hunting over a feeder. Usually when they come in if there is more than one they tend to scurry around & not hold still long. I've killed 16 over feeders & most shots are under 20 yds. I pick the one I want to try for & then come to full draw & once he turns Broadside-shoot. keep it close to the knuckle(Elbow).
Like I said-they scurry around, nothing like a Whitetail or Bear for sure.
I'll be Bowhunting them again in Ok. in a couple weeks. Good Luck.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I'm guessing your hunting over a feeder. Usually when they come in if there is more than one they tend to scurry around & not hold still long. I've killed 16 over feeders & most shots are under 20 yds. I pick the one I want to try for & then come to full draw & once he turns Broadside-shoot. keep it close to the knuckle(Elbow).
Like I said-they scurry around, nothing like a Whitetail or Bear for sure.
I'll be Bowhunting them again in Ok. in a couple weeks. Good Luck.
I thought I saw you on the email list.....did someone back out???

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
advice

Be patient. Sound proof your gear as much as possible. Play the wind and use cover scent. Be prepared for a second shot. If you hit a small pig or sow the noise might bring in a bigger boar, be ready. I learned that lesson the hard way a few months ago while doing some spot and stalk. A boar came in behind me while I was paying attention to the sow I had just hit. I botched the shot on him and almost got treed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Straight up center of leg 1/3 way up body broadside....DONT GET behind tip of elbow.

Cant say that enough, and have fun!!!

Hog hunting is a blast!

later
citori

1 - 8 of 8 Posts