Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off , I am completely new to anything other than local shoots , 3d only, and I know this is the general archery section, but thought I would receive more comments.
I have shot locally for the last 6 years , and honestly don't know how I would stack up against other people on a national level , and a good friend of mine finally convinced me to give it a try , so this coming year I plan on shooting several ASA events , and hopefully a couple IBO shoots.
I feel like I shoot decent, but there is certainly room for improvement, and I am used to shooting unknown, but earlier this year , before my wife's accident and I was forced to sell my 3d bow , I started shooting known 50 for the first time ever shooting known , and I really enjoyed it , but only got to shoot 7 shoots with my bow , before I was forced to sell it due to her being out of work. I have no idea that if the scores that I have been averaging locally would even put me on the board at an ASA shoot.
I shot a few shoots with my hunting setup, but only 7 with my dedicated 3d bow this past season. I have no idea if I can shoot good enough to even compete , and from all of the advice that I have received locally from ASA shooters is that I should have been at this a couple of years ago.
I shoot 30 targets , Known 50, locally now after 6 years of unknown , but due to nerves and lack of confidence I plan on shooting Open C starting out , and hopefully don't embarrass myself too bad....Lol.
I know little about ASA , and hope that anyone out there could give me any advice on my upcoming season.
I honestly don't know if I will even be competitive, but I feel that it would be fun to finally try it , at least a few times, so any advice or help at all would be much appreciated....
Thanks guys...

·
Back Yard Champion
30,072 Posts
You know how you've placed at the clubs you shot at. What about ASA or IBO state sanctioned events? If 3rd and better the majority of the times, give it try. Know this, if going National and wanting to do good, you better be darned good to shoot in the upper half of whatever class you chose to shoot in. Go look at the scores on the ASA website. Look at names/classes, events and years. Many are there that haven't moved from the bottom half of the score sheets. I really don't know why they even attend a National. I just got through discussing this with another. It's alright to be in the bottom half of the score sheet at a National all the time and unworthy if you do well at club or state sanctioned event?

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
I have shot a fair amount of the ASA shoots over the years one or 2 a year .You have to shoot real good to be in the top 10 in any class .

But the reason I love shooting the ASA shoots .Is there great every class I have ever shot in great guy's to shoot with .You will have a good time even if your not shooting well .They are always willing to help if you just ask .

My nerves got to me at first I would try way to hard to shoot good .I would shoot great one day and like crap the next .

If your thinking about shooting C class they have the most shooters ,I would start off shooting open B class still a lot of shooters but still about the same level of shooter.Open A is all the want to be semi pros ,some great shooters .

If you want to shoot known you could always shoot the K 45 also great some great shooters .You have to shoot real good 30-40 up at most shoots to be in the top 10. K 50 you have to shoot great them guy's can shoot lights out most days ,I have shot with a couple of them ,Sam,Randy,Scott .On a bad day they still shoot 20 -30 up also Great guy's to shoot with .

I would say go I'm sure you will have a great time .Shoot the team shoot on Friday and the simms on Friday or Saturday .

Bring some extra money there are a lot of venders there with everthing that has to do with archery .

Good Luck.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Go have fun, remember the old saying you're only as good as your competition well here is the test. I was very humbled my first 2 events judging yardage and executing shots it doesn't matter what your shirt says or what bow you have in your hand I garuntee you'll be switching stuff, for me it's an addiction after getting whopped on I thrive to to get better and have .
As for your thread start where you want to start, one word of advice Practice judging yardage, go to the shop set up targets go to courses and just practice practice practice, it's a game of +_ 2 yards we all shoot the same speed so you have to know if it's 36 or 40 yards. Good luck see ya in Florida

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Come in you will have a great time...like has been said them guys that shoot known can flat out shoot. But getting to meet folks and shooting a pro am or am am team shoot is a blast and great way to shed nerves and learn...just get on there website and look at the classes get in where you fit in and have fun.see you in newberry

·
Registered
710 Posts
mountainman7: great advice already given. And, it sounds like you want to be competitive and that you are leaning toward a known distance class. Open C will give you an entry level class that is all known with a max distance of 40 yards with a max speed of 280 (+3%). This a great place to get your feet wet. Don't expect the competition to be novice level, even though it is a novice class. There are some great shooters in Open C. And, just plan to make every rookie mistake your first year. That just goes with the territory. Have fun with it. And, just laugh at yourself when you make that "Oh ****" mistake or decision. Enjoy the experience and shoot your process. IMO, don't get too caught in your score right away. Let that come with time. Enjoy the vendor village. As mentioned before, take extra money or, better yet, lock the credit cards and wallet in the trunk of your car. Its hard to walk by some of the great products you'll see. Don't know who you are but hope to see you on the range.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I certainly am not expecting to place top 10.....Lol. It would be a goal of mine by years end to place top 10 in Open C , which is the class that I will start at.
I have shot unknown for 6 years and I am fair at yardage estimation out to 45. I keep a record at each shoot of unknown that I shoot practice on , and averaged a +/-1.5 yard average on my estimation in about 20 shoots a year, for the last 3 years , before trying known 50 at the first of this year , just for 7 shoots though.
I shot practice for six shoots and I always estimated the targets and then I ranged them , trying to help at judging at 50 yards better, and would then shoot the shot. I only turned one score card in .
I never said that I expect to even place top 10 in my class , which will be open C this year since I am so new to all of this , I just hope not to finish at the bottom of the pack in Open C.
It would take a pretty good while before I would try Known 50 class, as I know that there are some great shooters in that class, but hopefully eventually.
I never said I expect to win at all, just was looking on advice since I've never attended any shoot of this size and caliber.
I shoot locally with several people that shoot known 50, known 45 , Open A,B and a couple semi pro and a couple pro.
Just started this thread to see how this all works, believe me Im not going to take the archery world by storm...Lol...just mainly looking for any helpful advice and I appreciate the advice given so far.
I average all of my yardage estimation and scores based on all ASA style setup 30 target McKenzie ranges , and normally shoot practice, but like I said I only got to shoot K50 last year locally 7 times and only turned in one card , which was on the 30 target known 50. My shooting with a hunting bow were all practice shoots , but I averaged them the same , guess the yardage first , then range the target and shoot, but I normally shoot with no rangefinder at all, well for the previous 6 years before the start of my K50 trial.
Thanks guys and I look forward to Florida, and putting to use the great advice that I have received so far, and keep it coming, I need all the help that I can get ....Lol.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mountainman7: great advice already given. And, it sounds like you want to be competitive and that you are leaning toward a known distance class. Open C will give you an entry level class that is all known with a max distance of 40 yards with a max speed of 280 (+3%). This a great place to get your feet wet. Don't expect the competition to be novice level, even though it is a novice class. There are some great shooters in Open C. And, just plan to make every rookie mistake your first year. That just goes with the territory. Have fun with it. And, just laugh at yourself when you make that "Oh ****" mistake or decision. Enjoy the experience and shoot your process. IMO, don't get too caught in your score right away. Let that come with time. Enjoy the vendor village. As mentioned before, take extra money or, better yet, lock the credit cards and wallet in the trunk of your car. Its hard to walk by some of the great products you'll see. Don't know who you are but hope to see you on the range.
Thanks so much and I intend to just take in the entire experience. You offered some great advice that will help me out. I just want to have fun with it , but still try my hardest, naturally, but don't expect anything spectacular at all.
Thanks for the advice and I will see you in Florida , along with many others on here I would assume. I will bump this thread up before we all go and maybe meet some of you fine people.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ttt....night shift worker here and am ready for sleep, so I look forward to any more comments on this when I wake up and check the thread this evening. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Bow Only
9,578 Posts
Last year was my first year shooting ASA...I shot open c as well.

I had never shot an open class rig til last year and I stayed just about even for the most part....I went to london and metopolis and top 3 score were 30-40 up for 40 targets....

Its some REALLY stiff competition....but I had TONS of fun. And enjoyed every minute I was there...and made some great new friends.

2015 I plan om ditching the local stuff and focus all.my priority on the national shoots. Only one im not planning on is florida.

Hope to see you on the range!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last year was my first year shooting ASA...I shot open c as well.

I had never shot an open class rig til last year and I stayed just about even for the most part....I went to london and metopolis and top 3 score were 30-40 up for 40 targets....

Its some REALLY stiff competition....but I had TONS of fun. And enjoyed every minute I was there...and made some great new friends.

2015 I plan om ditching the local stuff and focus all.my priority on the national shoots. Only one im not planning on is florida.

Hope to see you on the range!
Thanks alot. I will plan on shooting at least 4 shoots. I have shot an open class setup for the last 4 years so I am used to that part, but I have switched bows this year and I'm sure that I will have a learning curve. I hope to be able to shoot decent in Open C , but that is if my nerves don't get the best of me.
I will still shoot all of the local shoots that I can, as I see that as the best practice that I can get, but I do plan on taking it seriously, but still have fun...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Absolutely great archers shooting in asa events!! You won't regret it if you give it a whirl, just be prepared to be humbled.. Guys and gals in all classes can flat out shoot!!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely great archers shooting in asa events!! You won't regret it if you give it a whirl, just be prepared to be humbled.. Guys and gals in all classes can flat out shoot!!
That's what I am hoping for...I love the competition aspect of it and have always wanted to try it and I am not just a backyard shooter , but am no pro by any means.
Im just really happy to finally give it a try, and all I can do is shoot my best and have fun with it, but I also don't expect to finish at the end of the list either, but that's up to how I handle my nerves more than anything for me....thank guys for the info so far.....hope to hear more from you all on this.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hey Huntin Hard...see you're not too far from me. I plan to try 3D this coming season. Any idea where I can find out about the local shoots? I only have an idea about a few places that have 3D but really don't know of anyplace that has actual matches.

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
Hey Huntin Hard...see you're not too far from me. I plan to try 3D this coming season. Any idea where I can find out about the local shoots? I only have an idea about a few places that have 3D but really don't know of anyplace that has actual matches.
I shoot at leetown and tomahawk but they're both in martinsburg. You ever want to come down this way to shoot, send me a PM and we can shoot together.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Glad to see a first timer start where they know they belong. Most, never having attended an ASA shoot, would start in novice, even though they were experienced archers.
Whoop up on the real novice shooters and take their money.
Imo, top 10 in novice 1 time, push them to the next class.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I shoot at leetown and tomahawk but they're both in martinsburg. You ever want to come down this way to shoot, send me a PM and we can shoot together.
Heck yeah. You're only a little over an hour from me so I'd definitely be up for some shooting. Either of those places still open? There's a shop over here that still has targets out, 20 of them, but they don't host matches. It's just pay and play.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts