Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in desperate need of advice for how a womans' form should be and what kind of arrows to get for my bow.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Head to the Women's Forums ... There's help and feedback in there on both those subjects.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It all depends on what your set up is, draw weight and length. What you will be using Then there are still tons and tons of choises, and as many opinions from different ppl. Everyone has their idea of which arrows are "best". I myself have shot Gold Tips and loved them now I shoot Victory x-ringers fo r 3D and love them.

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
I am in desperate need of advice for how a womans' form should be and what kind of arrows to get for my bow.
Oh boy, that's gonna be a long answer. How long have you been shooting? Are you brand new to shooting with your first bow or are you looking for some more advanced tips? I'm going to assume brand new, and start from there. If you can post a picture, we can fine tune from that.

This is assuming you have a bow that fits you correctly. BE sure you have the correct draw length and a draw weight that you can comfortably draw sitting down. If you have to sruggle with it, it is too heavy.

First- your feet. Most men shoot with their feet parrallel to the target, about shoulder width apart. For women, we sometimes need to stagger the foot that is nearer the target.. about half a step behind the other. This helps give us a little more clearance.

When your bow is drawn, your body should be in a perfet T. Be sure your hip is not cocked forward, shoulders are square, and back is not bent.

Your bow arm should be slightly bent (or relaxed) and your bow should be resting against the meaty part of your hand next to your thumb. You should not be gripping your bow. You can lightly touch the first finger and thumb, but keep your fingers loose. Gripping it will turn the bow and throw your shot off.

TURN YOUR ELBOW OUTWARDS. This is very, very important for women. If you bent your arm, it should swing across your body, not up towards your face. This will prevent a lot of pain and bruising.

Your other hand, needs a consistent anchor point. This may vary depending on if you are shooting fingers different styles or releases. It should be a bone to bone contact, so it is easy to find each time. I put my knuckle in the little hollow under my ear lobe. Experiment to find what feels comfortable to you.

The string should touch your nose, or some point on your face. You need three different checks to keep our shots consistent.. the string, release hand and peep/pin will create this.

Other notes- be careful with dangly earrings. Be sure the string is coming across the side of your breasts, and is not between them. With good form, this should not be an issue, but from what I have read, it certainly can be if your form is off. Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Excellent advise right there, MN chick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for the advice mn chick. I am a new user....My husband bought me a diamond edge bow for mother's day and it definitely takes some getting used to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts