Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone from Bohning reads these pages? This is not to bash your product, but could someone from the inside explain why so many people have trouble with blazers not adhering to shafts? There are so many threads here with people having trouble. Last year I fletched two dozen arrows using Blazer wraps and Blazer vanes ( white and orange ) and Bohning Platinum glue. The white ones came off of every arrow and I followed Bohnings fletching instructions! There was a residue of glue on wraps that would not come off, so I lost them. I tried multiple old school tricks from there on shafts with no wraps, sanding, acetone, denatured alcohol, laquer thinner. Cleaning the vane with acetone yielded best results.


Is there something so many of us are missing? This stuff cost to much and is very time consuming and a poor finished product sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,347 Posts
Never had a problem , not once or do I know anybody else that uses the product that has had any problems

However obviously some are

With ANY problem fletching I encourage the use of this glue from loctite

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=15&subid=34&plid=195

works wounders for most problem applications. Somebody from Vane Tech turned me on to it and fletching has been a cake walk ever since
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,745 Posts
I am a Bohning Staff Shooter, so I represent this fine company and their products. I have used Turbo Nocks with the vanes already part of the nock for the past 4 or 5 years; but this year I am using T4Turbo and Bohning Double Lock Nocks with 2" Blazer vanes.

I have not experienced a single failure with the Blazers and Bohning Platinum glue. Not even when I had a complete pass through on a target butt at a range and had my arrow explode. The vanes were still intact and looking fresh.:eek:

When I fletched up my arrows I cleaned the shaft with 91% alcohol and let it dry. Then I wrapped the arrow shaft and cleaned the wrap in the same manner. I also cleaned the base of every Blazer vane with the same grade alcohol and allowed them to dry.

When I got ready to fletch the arrows I did a dry run to make sure that the Bitzenberger was setup perfectly so that my vane contact was completely flat. I then put a nice smooth coat of Bohning Platinum glue on the base of the vane in my clamp. As I made contact between the vane and the arrow shaft I made sure that I held pressure on the clamp for about 45 seconds. Then I followed directions and left the vane clamped for about 3 to 4 minutes.

Too many times we get in a hurry as we fletch up arrows and we either skip steps or we just rush through the steps without taking the proper amount of time to let the glue start setting up properly.

An uneven bead of glue will allow voids that will cause failure. Also, if you do not have the proper amount of glue in one spot; do not push backwards to add more glue. This traps air in the glue and will also cause a poor joint!

Dick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
I don't understand where people have these problems. I am also on shooting staff w/ Bohning and shoot blazers almost exclusively except for my IBO Hunter Class arrows and the arrows I use for FITA. I have also fletched literally thousands of arrows at the shop I work for w/ Blazers and have never had problems using pine ridge, goat tuff, or bohning platinum glues. I really think if people are having problems with this it isn't the product, it may be the process people are using. I don't even clean my vanes..........I just keep my fingers off the bases and have no problems at all. As a matter of fact I hate scraping these things to refletch because you can't even pull the darn things off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
centerx said:
Never had a problem , not once or do I know anybody else that uses the product that has had any problems

However obviously some are

With ANY problem fletching I encourage the use of this glue from loctite

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=15&subid=34&plid=195

works wounders for most problem applications. Somebody from Vane Tech turned me on to it and fletching has been a cake walk ever since

I have been using the same Loc-Tite glue(from Wal-Mart) and Blazers and have not had 1 problem.

:cocktail: LastCall:cocktail:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
I am a staff shooter as well, and have experienced these problems he is talking about.
Its not a big deal. Call bohning and let them know that you are experiencing this issue. The vanes should be replaced. They will possibly ask for whatever you have left for testing.

If I understand it correctly. Its nothing you are doing incorrectly (I fletch mine up same as GPR). Something is actually on the vane and NO one knows how it got there.

keep what you have, just brush the fletching side with some sandpaper and wipe with alcohol before the adhession process.

Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
I never had any problems with them, since I started fletching my own. I dont do anything special, dont clean shafts, or vanes, just glue em on. I used Fast Fletch on the last 3-4 dz, no problems
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,752 Posts
We've had numerous problems with them. The staff shooter at our local range has had as many problems as anyone. Even after trying everything Bohning said to try certain colors are still falling off in flight. Now they have said to wait 24 hours before shooting them as the blazers are thicker and it takes that long for thier glue to truly set. What a crock! I'm done with Blazers!!!!! That's about $100 wasted this past year! They even sent us about 20 boxes of free blazers and no one is wasting their time with these now. A ton of money and labor down the drain! They clearly have had some problems with some of the colors for some reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,628 Posts
I emailed back and forth with Bohning, but then they stopped replying....never did get an answer or anything.....

They keep popping off now and then......

My range looked like a Blazer Graveyard this Spring!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,100 Posts
NYBowhunter911 said:
I emailed back and forth with Bohning, but then they stopped replying....never did get an answer or anything.....

They keep popping off now and then......

My range looked like a Blazer Graveyard this Spring!
I have the same problem, they come off in flight, I'm using Fletch-tite Plantium and have heard of a lot of other people havign the same issue.

when the veins come off there is still glue on the arrow from where they where adhered. I've gone through a good 100+ veins, i keep shooting thembecause they fly great but on average I have one or 2 veins to replace after 1/2 an hour of shooting.

I am switching to Goat Tuff glue as I've heard rumor that it works better.

Here are just some threads about Blazers falling off:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=383229

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=379944
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,628 Posts
I've tried almost every glue out there - except Gorilla glue!!!!

Mine seem to fall off upon impast with the target - leaving glue on the wrap. ALL of my Blazers have been on wraps, except my turkey arrows last spring, which were black Blazers on black Gold Tips.... I sprinkled some of them all over my range too.
 

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
Joined
·
13,960 Posts
I have posted about having problems with them but I do think the worst is behind me now.....At least I hope.
I now use Loktite super glue (gel) and scrub the vanes before they go on and it seems to work rather well.
I have used Fletchtite Platinum, Platinum XT, and Flex Bond to NO LUCK....dont think it was me because I even gave some to my fellow friend to glue and they didnt last........
If it wasnt for the super glue working...I would not be shooting em now, besides I still have a few hundred in my tool kit. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
I had problems with some blazers a couple of years ago. When I told it to a rep he told me that there was a run a bad vanes and if I call the factory with the pc code numbers they would replace the vanes. I called and they did replace them.
I was also told not to use the fast set cyg.. glue . When I switched to platinumn glue my vein problems went away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,100 Posts
arrowhawk said:
I had problems with some blazers a couple of years ago. When I told it to a rep he told me that there was a run a bad vanes and if I call the factory with the pc code numbers they would replace the vanes. I called and they did replace them.
I was also told not to use the fast set cyg.. glue . When I switched to platinumn glue my vein problems went away.
how many are in a bad run? I have 200+ sitting on my archery table... I had a bunch before from somone also but they definately seemed to be different quality, they seemed much more sturdy.

Are there "imation" blazers out there? cause the ones I have now are neon colors but the exact same size... but they don't feel as tough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
What colors??


I have used Pink, Blue, 2 Greens, Black , White, Purple, Orange, Yellow, Red, Mostly Back and White, Like I said I havent had any problems over the past couple years. I did have some vanes fall of when I was started getting some "bad" bottles of AMG Carbond, but it wasnt just Blazers. I switched to Fast Fletch problem solved. The problem was the glue, I used Carbond for quite awhile with no problems then it started getting really thin, and would not even hold feathers. I have also used Bohning Quantam, with no problems.

I fletched a dozen this morning, and shot 3 of them, about 15 shots each, no lost vanes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great responses

I'm glad to see that so many staff shooters are having great success. Maybe you all are getting the cream of the crop and we are getting what ever comes off the line. I can make them work GPR, my question is still this, why can't I use all Bohning products and follow instructions of not cleaning and get a great adhesion. By the way, I do not get in a hurry while fletching. I am very anal about my arrows. Do you really think that I put 2 orange fletchings on and one white onto two dozen arrows, only to have the white fall off and orange be welded on! I doubt I mysteriously blundered and screwd up all the white ones. These have gave the most problems that I have read about. I shoot Quick Spins and Duravanes now. Try pulling off one these off.

I'm sorry, but I think Bohning needs to take peoples complaints seriously before another company makes a similar vane.

So far this thread has shown ten people stating to have had numreous problems and five who have not, whom of which a majority are on staff. C'mon GPR and the rest of you staff guys, help by relaying the message to your sponsor, I think they have a good product but they have to stick for all of us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Dean Lawter said:
I'm glad to see that so many staff shooters are having great success. Maybe you all are getting the cream of the crop and we are getting what ever comes off the line. I can make them work GPR, my question is still this, why can't I use all Bohning products and follow instructions of not cleaning and get a great adhesion. By the way, I do not get in a hurry while fletching. I am very anal about my arrows. Do you really think that I put 2 orange fletchings on and one white onto two dozen arrows, only to have the white fall off and orange be welded on! I doubt I mysteriously blundered and screwd up all the white ones. These have gave the most problems that I have read about. I shoot Quick Spins and Duravanes now. Try pulling off one these off.

I'm sorry, but I think Bohning needs to take peoples complaints seriously before another company makes a similar vane.

So far this thread has shown ten people stating to have had numreous problems and five who have not, whom of which a majority are on staff. C'mon GPR and the rest of you staff guys, help by relaying the message to your sponsor, I think they have a good product but they have to stick for all of us.


I am different, I get in a hurry, fletch as fast as possible. Recently I have used 2 white 1 black, no problems with either. Maybe you guys are trying too hard, don't know, as I said I NEVER clean anything and Blazers work great for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,745 Posts
Dean Lawter said:
I'm glad to see that so many staff shooters are having great success. Maybe you all are getting the cream of the crop and we are getting what ever comes off the line. I can make them work GPR, my question is still this, why can't I use all Bohning products and follow instructions of not cleaning and get a great adhesion. By the way, I do not get in a hurry while fletching. I am very anal about my arrows. Do you really think that I put 2 orange fletchings on and one white onto two dozen arrows, only to have the white fall off and orange be welded on! I doubt I mysteriously blundered and screwd up all the white ones. These have gave the most problems that I have read about. I shoot Quick Spins and Duravanes now. Try pulling off one these off.

I'm sorry, but I think Bohning needs to take peoples complaints seriously before another company makes a similar vane.

So far this thread has shown ten people stating to have had numreous problems and five who have not, whom of which a majority are on staff. C'mon GPR and the rest of you staff guys, help by relaying the message to your sponsor, I think they have a good product but they have to stick for all of us.

Dean,
I take my job as a Field Tester pretty darned seriously and I will Not bend the truth if I find a product that does not work for me! I have been in contact with Bohning Corp. about the problems that you and the other people are having. I am doing my level best to find out what is the real cause of the problem and if I ever do, I will post it here!

I am currently using Bohning Blazers in the Flo. colors of yellow, green and orange. (one vane of each on Flo yellow, orange and green Tricolor arrow wraps by arrowwrapsunlimited)

My Best Friend and shooting partner is using Green and white vanes on his arrows. He just put them on 2 days ago, so we have only had one day of shooting them. Time will tell if he has any problems!

Dick
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top