Archery Talk Forum banner

Do you use a Back tension/thumb trigger release?

• Yes

Votes: 118 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 36 18.2%
  • Haven't tried

Votes: 44 22.2%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any bowhunters here that use a thumb trigger/back tension release for hunting? I decided to try one out the other day and I really liked it, the only downfall to the one I have is that there is no lanyard or anything to have it hanging on my wrist so it will have to go in my pocket when walking to and from the stand and I will have to clip it on the string loop when hunting, other than that I really like it, I just have to get used to anchoring different compared to how I anchored with my wrist strap release. If you haven't tried a thumb trigger/back tension release I would recommend trying one you may just like it.

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Currently no, but I plan on going back to one. I liked the freedom it gave my hands in the stand. However, I started to develope bad habits over time so I switched to a standard trigger release. PRetty sure it was 99% me and not the release. I had a TRU Ball Pro Diamond and liked it for the most part. I will probably try a BossX for this season after messing with them up in Columbus.

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
i shoot a carter for everything, love to just clip it and let it hang with my bow.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Yes, been using one for quite sometime now. which release are you using. Truball make a lanyard for the t handle releases, i have one from them and i really like mine. i know where it is at all times, no pockets to lose it in.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Don't currently use one, but I did hunt with one for years. Went to the wrist strap so the trigger is always at the ready. I still have my True Fire Revolver as a back up release.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
STAN Shootoff, before that, Carter Chocolate Addiction. Both have a closed gate so I just clip it to my loop and it's ready to go.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, been using one for quite sometime now. which release are you using. Truball make a lanyard for the t handle releases, i have one from them and i really like mine. i know where it is at all times, no pockets to lose it in.
I am currently using a TRU Fire Stalker 3 finger, it's the cheapest one out there as far as I know, it was my grandfather's, he had tried to use one and didn't like the fact that you had to hold onto it, so I decided to try it out and really like it, I would like to go to a T.R.U. Ball thumb trigger release with a strap on it but I have the funds to get one but I am saving up every penny for a Mathews Z7, I seen a T.R.U. Ball for $70 on Cabelas but that's pretty pricy for a release IMO, I bought my wrist strap T.R.U. Ball for $40. I may look around here in the Classifides and see if there are any sweet deals on some T.R.U. Ball thumb trigger/back tension releases.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Haven't tried one, but like the idea of just clipping it on and leaving it there while in the stand, anything to make life easier!

I may have to get myself one, and become proficient at both types of releases so that I have an extra if I loose one or even just drop one from the tree.

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
check out the classifieds, and put up a want to buy add, you'll get good responses. It is tough to find a solid thumb trigger under 50 though

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I am currently using a TRU Fire Stalker 3 finger, it's the cheapest one out there as far as I know, it was my grandfather's, he had tried to use one and didn't like the fact that you had to hold onto it, so I decided to try it out and really like it, I would like to go to a T.R.U. Ball thumb trigger release with a strap on it but I have the funds to get one but I am saving up every penny for a Mathews Z7, I seen a T.R.U. Ball for $70 on Cabelas but that's pretty pricy for a release IMO, I bought my wrist strap T.R.U. Ball for $40. I may look around here in the Classifides and see if there are any sweet deals on some T.R.U. Ball thumb trigger/back tension releases.
You mean to tell me you are a Tru ball staff member and you are shooting a tru fire release, whooo that got to be a sin somewhere. yeah there t handles are alittle more but they are well worth it, very nicely built and shoot great. you have the right idea, keep an eye open here in the classifides, they are always popping up here. maybe even post a WTB thread, see what bites you can get.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You mean to tell me you are a Tru ball staff member and you are shooting a tru fire release, whooo that got to be a sin somewhere. yeah there t handles are alittle more but they are well worth it, very nicely built and shoot great. you have the right idea, keep an eye open here in the classifides, they are always popping up here. maybe even post a WTB thread, see what bites you can get.
I didn't think of that, don't tell on me! I guess I'll have to get a thumb trigger release from T.R.U. Ball pretty soon.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I can't shoot the caliper type because of target panic so I went to a back tension carter. I love it and will never go back!

If you are a treestander then you can just clip it on your string and have it ready. I happen to spot and stalk so it takes a little longer than it usually would but I can't hit crap without one so its worth it to me. Hasn't cost me a buck yet :darkbeer:

Kelpy

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I didn't think of that, don't tell on me! I guess I'll have to get a thumb trigger release from T.R.U. Ball pretty soon.
Shoosh, your secrets safe with me, ;). but on a second thought, how much is it worth to ya for me to keep quiet, :D.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
i just bought one, but havent hunted with it. but its great to shoot.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Never have but kind of wanting to try one without breaking the bank..................................

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Carter Target 4 and Just-B-Cuz do the job on my hunting trips.

Actually I love my old Hole-Thing-3 which I shoot by the pinky trigger even more but I can't get my finger through the hole with the gloves on.

DB

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I recently switched, and its been the best thing I have ever done, I am so much more accurate and consistent with my Stan; I dont see me ever switching back!

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll have to look for a thumb trigger T.R.U. Ball after I get my Z7!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts