Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using this mineral lick for a couple of years and it works well but I question the fact that the instructions says not to mix it before using. Is there any chemical reaction problem with the ingredients or is it just so there is no water attracted to the mix? I just don't remember enough of my HS Chemistry.

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $12.75.00 you need one bag.
2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $6.50 you need two bags.
1 part Stock Salt, Ice Cream Salt or White Salt (no iodine).
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need one bag.
Directions:
Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.
Mix all together well but not until ready to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.
Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep. Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.
Maintenance:
Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

·
Ya hey
1,437 Posts
Best as I can tell, from the ingredients you describe, it would probably clump up pretty badly if you mixed ahead of time and let it sit around.

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
mineral mix

This is the same recipe I used this summer.

Thanks!

I have wondered also. Next time I get to the cabin I'll mix a pint of it and see what happens.

My thought is it might clump up depending on moisture in the air.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am a chemistry teacher, my degree in in biology with a minor in chemistry. Those will likely absorb moisture out of the air and start to clump up on you.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
The thermal diffusivity of water is .006ft^2/hr, water is in the air, there would be a tendency for the mixture to clump up once exposed to the air not to mention the moisture from deer tongues.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys,

That is about what I thought and I have mixed it the day before going to camp with no ill effects.

The odd thing is that I just mixed some up to refreshen the spring mix and all the bags had been open (to make the spring lick) and I thought that there should have been some clumping but it had no lumps or clumps in it.

I may just store some of the mix and keep in the original bag to see how long it lasts without clumping, I just didn't want to have some sort of chemical reaction.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
if it starts to clump ........ Mineral licks may need to be recharged from year to year depending upon soil types and animal usage. Most licks require 20 to 50 pounds of salt yearly accompanied by the correct amount of dicalcium phosphate. Some areas may be prone to soil erosion or loss and may need soil added with the minerals. If the lick starts to hold water, add soil or cut a small channel to allow the water to drain. A properly managed mineral lick will provide essential minerals to a variety of wildlife for years to come.

·
Registered
559 Posts
No reactions unless in the presence of water. You might could get a displacemnt reaction from some of the minerals with the phosphate anion.

Probably, the rock salt is just going to clump up like others have said.

TexasAggie, Ph.D.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Slippy Field said:
The thermal diffusivity of water is .006ft^2/hr, water is in the air, there would be a tendency for the mixture to clump up once exposed to the air not to mention the moisture from deer tongues.
which is exactly why mechanical heads do not penetrate as well as fixed blade........or is that physics:confused: :tongue:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
DeerAnil8r said:
I am a chemistry teacher, my degree in in biology with a minor in chemistry. Those will likely absorb moisture out of the air and start to clump up on you.
Just out of curiousity.

What state do you teach in.

I am going into secondary education with a major in Bio and minor in Chem as well.:)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Techy said:
Just out of curiousity.

I am going into secondary education with a major in Bio and minor in Chem as well.:)

Be a man. Major in chemistry, minor in Biology. :darkbeer: :wink:

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
Cmarti said:
which is exactly why mechanical heads do not penetrate as well as fixed blade........or is that physics:confused: :tongue:
Yeah, thats physics. I have a degree in nuclearbiophysics and a minor in invertebrate chemistrology.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Techy said:
Just out of curiousity.

I am in Missouri, I didnt start as a teacher. Still working towards a Secondary certification. This is my fourth full year of teaching.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts