Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
This section just moves very slow. Took my 3814 to indoor pop up last night. Only one guy new what it was,he was very impressed with it. Said his family is from Michigan and they all shoot them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Darton doesn't make much waves in respect to new bow launches, hence not much to talk about. Sad but true.
I shoot in a league on Thurs nites and am the only Darton bow there out of 30 bows. Last week a guy asked what it was and he never heard of Darton.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Agreed! Over the past (too many) years, I've been involved with many hobbies/pastimes, including archery since the early '60's. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that the best products are seldom the most popular, nor are they oftentimes even considered to be "among" the best - for the most part, the "crowd's" opinions rule the day.

A couple of months ago, not that I'm a great shooter, but I posted what I considered to be a fair analysis of a number of bows I'd recently owned, and frankly, the Vegas was definitely the best shooter and easiest to tune and set up. [And, the best shooter I've ever owned and/or shot, which includes high-end bows by Bear, Jennings, PSE, Bowtech, Hoyt, Elite, Athens, New Breed, and Merlin.]

My post received very few responses, and no one questioned or disputed my results. Yet, every day you read posts by folks who have recently bought the "bow du jour", and are having tuning and or cam-lean issues - seldom, if ever, present in Darton's STS.

However, if one of these new movies/TV shows that feature the bow as primary weapon, had an attractive young actor/actress shooting and talking about their "Darton " bow, I'd be willing to bet that things would change overnight! Thanks,

BG

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I got a 3814 a few weeks ago from the classifieds. I am still trying out different rests and sights and waiting for a new set of strings. I am very pleased with the way it handles and shoots. Easily on a par with my Elite GT500 and Pulse.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Maybe. I'm not sure what Dartons' production capabilities are or if they even desire to build/sell on a massive scale.
They don't have too. Rex makes a ton of $$ off his cam designs. Maybe if they had a "flashier" riser,advertised,etc. they would be more mainstream. But I believe they don't care.

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
New Darton shooter here. I just got a Vegas. I am really liking it so far. Very crisp on the shot with just the right amount of feedback.

I am looking for some info on tuning the dual sync cams. I'm wondering if I can move the bare shaft left and right by twisting the cables, like yoke tuning.

I'm thinking about starting a thread about it.

If any of you kind sirs have any input it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I thought I've noticed a slight up sweep in shooter numbers in my area. Still not alot, but some. Some more advertising couldn't hurt, and a stronger presence in the shops would be great. I truly think if people could shoot them side by side with any other bow they would sell themselves.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
New Darton shooter here. I just got a Vegas. I am really liking it so far. Very crisp on the shot with just the right amount of feedback.

I am looking for some info on tuning the dual sync cams. I'm wondering if I can move the bare shaft left and right by twisting the cables, like yoke tuning.

Twisting cables on the dual sync will do nothing except change the sync on the cams. It will not change the point of impact of
bare shafts like yoke tuning.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Sorry to highjack the thread, but highwaynorth is correct - other than rest/nocking point height, and setting the bow to spec, seems to be very little tuning on the Vegas.

However, one thing I really like about the Vegas, is it's very easy to visually track hand-torque by simply lining up your arrow point at full draw with your stabilizer.

When I first got my bow, I "overshot" it (too many arrows/too much fun) a number of times, and wore myself out. Then, when I would shoot a bare shaft through paper, I had a right tear. Couldn't figure it out, until I noticed I was torquing the arrow point to the left of the stabilizer when I was tired. I lined it up correctly, and bullet-hole again. Maybe something to keep an eye on...

BG

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
So the only way to tune the Vegas without moving the rest is to move the shims?

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
I am thinking about becoming a Darton shooter. I am thinking about getting an Executive. I have a friend on the Darton
pro staff. He has a Vegas, a 3800 and should be getting his Vegas 3D soon. I am waiting to play with his a little bit to see if
I like it. I want to see how much arm clearence I have with the lower 7" brace height bow.

·
Registered
544 Posts
So the only way to tune the Vegas without moving the rest is to move the shims?
I'm certainly no expert (only had my Vegas 3 months); however, can you give us a bit more info on what is out of tune on your bow?

The reason I ask, is when I set up my Vegas, once I set true center-shot and the nocking point slightly above parallel, the bow was in perfect tune. [This ease of set-up was due to the STS bows true double shoot-through system - that's why I'm asking...] Thanks,

BG

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
My Vegas isn't out of tune per say, I'm just very finicky about bareshaft tuning. My bare shafts are hitting slightly left and low of my fletched arrows. Also nock high.

The bow still shoots lights out, I'm just trying to get it perfect. My other target bow is a Bowtech fanatic so I'm spoiled.

I also want to add that I eyeballed the rest on the Darton and shot a perfect bullet hole with a bareshaft on the first shot, so I know the bow is dynamite. I just want to tune it to my grip.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just traded for a '15 DS 3800 a couple weeks ago. I had traded my back up bow a couple times just to try out some different bows that I had not had a chance to shoot before. Well, I traded for the Darton and now I've got a new primary hunting bow. It's a shooter and I'm really liking the draw cycle for such a fast bow.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I shoot a 2005 Tempest Extreme and my brother shoots a 3814 (he used to shoot Hoyt) Best overall bows made in my opinion.

·
Registered
142 Posts
They don't have too. Rex makes a ton of $$ off his cam designs. Maybe if they had a "flashier" riser,advertised,etc. they would be more mainstream. But I believe they don't care.
Yes, we're all aware of where they get their money. My point was they may have no desire to be "mainstream".
I get it. I think for me its just odd shooting a great bow no one knows about. I'm not hungup on any one bow brand either. If i could find a Carbon Spyder 34 #3 cams at great price i'd be all over it.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts