Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if your guys have ever noticed anyone stoned (marijuana) at a local shoot... I know some golfers that swear that a puff or two calms them down and helps their concentration... I would never condone nothing illegal or even think of doing it myself, just wondering if you guys shoot with or know some that .... partake while shooting... I know FITA drug tests the top atheletes, just wondering at the local level.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
No, it would be cost prohibitive. Beta blockers have been used for years by pro archers and couldnt be tested for. A little alcohol is common on the big lines also. Xanex, ativan were also used. Frankly, I don't care if you do or not, I just worry about the kids thinking they need chemicals to shoot

·
The Buck Drops Here
5,925 Posts
I knew people who were smoking that synthetic crap they were selling for awhile....to me it's dumb.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I've walked up on guys before and were smoking during a 3d shoot. I just acted like I had no idea. I don't agree with it, but I'm not making it my business telling on them.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A few drinks never hurts!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

·
Grumpy Old Man
26,816 Posts
Nothing new......I remember seeing it a few times at some local field shoots back in the 90's.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
I've seen alot of guys shooting mathews bows..........Ooops! I forgot. No bashing. Sorry!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Being on the board of local club, I can tell you that you will be sent packing if we were to smell alcohol or other on someone or see them doing it at an indoor or 3d. We like ours to be a family atmosphere and really promote kids shooting to get them active in archery. Alcohol or any drug that "helps calm you" or alters you also impares your judgement.

If you want to knock back a couple of cold ones after your done, have fun. I like a cold beer every now and then myself. I also realize that some may view this as me on my soap box but so be it. I also know that guys that make a living at it may be using whatever the can to get an advantage or doing it because they do not want to be at disadvantage because others are doing.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Drugs and Booze have no place on an Archery Coarse. You are using a weapon. You wouldn't condone it at a rifle range,trap range or a sporting clays event would you. There is just too much at risk. Once the range is CLOSED have all the beer you want.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know some folks who might smoke a bowl before shooting in their yard. They swear it helps steady them. I would think it would do the opposite since weed increases heart rate. I would imagine it seems steadier to the person under the influence though. It would be interesting to see some actual testing on this.

Also what would y'all say about a person using marijuana for legitimate medical purposes in a state where it was legal and they had all of their documentation?
Just playing a little devils advocate here.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Isnt it kinda hard to hold a joint in one hand and a twinkie in another and the bow in another?

Ive seen a couple people high at a shoot, but they are that way when I seem em not shooting also.

Not my thing, tried it years ago and it does some funky stuff to my pulse... Enough to keep me away.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,941 Posts
Like we really needed this kind of garbage for a Post.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Keep on shmoking

·
Banned
97 Posts
Don\\\'t need chemicals,Get high on life & archery.And be sure to thank the lord for the life.
Think him for the Pot Too !

Something like 64% of Americans over the age of 15 are jacked up on some form of man made Chemical drug legalized thru the evil pharmaceutical companies !
Who thinks this is OK ?
Listen to the disclaimers on the adds - \\\" may cause suicidal tendencies , .... oily anal leakage ...

I could give a rats *&^ if someone is smoking a plant , its a plant ! Now if you happen to have oily anal leakage on the line next to me ... we have a problem

ANd you do realize pot is becoming more and more accepted and being legalized as well ..........

its A PLANT not a chemical ...

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
My brother and his buddy joined me on a line to fling some arrows .... found out they were stoned after first retrieve ... both went up to targets and forgot to pull arrows ... lmaooo . My bro had 3 x's though , his buddy killed the blue line ... guess weed changed his POI.

I ran into folks puffin smoke at 3d shoots too ... personally , i don't care . I rather deal with a super-slow stoner - than some drunken warrior with attitude and no self control next to me. It is irresponsible , but as long as they point the sharp sticks away from me ...................... it's none of my business.

·
Ice Cold
11,853 Posts
I dont smoke weed but the alcohol certainly helps. Till you have one too many...then the scores go way down. I dont see any problem with it as long as people arent getting too drunk. Id rather shoot with someone drinking than ride with one. Its more entertaining too.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts