Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
You can come to Cleveland and shoot kitty cats. (There was a cat on the news which got shot in the neck with an arrow).

What about bowfishing?

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,269 Posts
Blow up a bunch of balloons and let them loose in the yard (if can do it safely). Use a judo tip and try to shoot the balloons as the wind/breeze blows them around. Good fun and practice!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Man, Call your friends and gather up your least favorite arrows and a handful of Judos, steel blunts, cartridge cases, and old broadheads. Then head for some pine forest. From the moment you open your car door and the scent of the woods hits you, the very thought of "mundane" won't even enter your mind... :smile:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
stumpin

DAN GREG AND ADAM ARE RIGHT STUMP SHOOTING IS A BLAST remember keep the really good arrows at home . Try shooting through two trees only a couple of inches apart at a leaf or object 10 -15 yards away go first, and then lay the mind game on your buddys by saying something like had to squeeze it by the tree on the left to get a good shot. ha ha ha your buddies will never get past that tree on the right which probably will be dead soon from the arrows stuck in it. have fun, shoot straight. and bring a full quiver you`ll need it .

·
Registered
2 Posts
tee shirts

i was cleaning out the closet and came upon some old tee shirts. I wadded them into about a ten inch ball and whooped some duck tape onto it. I like to use two arrows tiped with judo points and shoot the first one while it is rolling away from me and the second after the ball has stopped(at unknown distance)
it seems to be better than a bag target.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Stuffed animals:

I hit garage sales and buy stuffed animals. If you buy the ones with cotton fill, instead of the little round foam beads in them, your arrows won't shoot thew them. And if your arrow does go threw, just hang them up (buy the neck) and shoot them. Great fun, good kids targets, and you can pick them up for a quarter. Just don't tell the people what you have in mind. They won't sell them to you. Lots of Barny targets. :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just a word of caution, on a recent stump shoot I shot a beer can that some scumbag had thrown out on the side of a logging road ( we call the cans rabbits and pick them up and discard em) my arrow came back and JUST missed my head and went another 25 feet behind me,one inch closer and I'd be missing an eye. I love stumpin just got to be careful like everything else.Stonehead

·
Registered
406 Posts
Take a foam fishing bobber (I like the big three-inchers), a six- to eight-inch dowel (or just a stick), and a piece of string about 12" long. Hang the bobber from one end of the dowel with the string, stick the other end of the dowel into your target butt, and try to pin the bobber to the butt. It's surprising how hard it is to get a solid hit on a free-swinging round thing. If the big bobber is too easy, go to smaller sizes.
If you're shooting broadheads, try a piece of 1/8" twine, hung from a dowel, with enough weight on the end of the twine to keep it tight, and try to cut the twine with your broadhead.
Rabbits in the garden are good targets, too. Toodles. Pigpopper

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
22,980 Posts
Contrary to what someone said:

DO NOT SHOOT POP CANS!!!! they will bend your arrow.... They are extremely hard on arrows....Of course, if you want to waste your arrows and take that chance... go ahead....

Dwayne

·
Registered
455 Posts
We do this at our club at NON public events:

Shoot at others arrow nocks, trying to break the nock.
Shoot at a swinging or pendulem ping pong ball.
Shoot the flame out from a candle without hitting the candle itself.
Play tic tac toe on a very small board.
Shoot at plastic medicine tops.
Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
Plastic soda bottles are great. Use field tips and aim for the caps. (The rule here is that only head shots count) When you hit them right, they explode, plastic shrapnel flying everywhere.

Them soda bottles are wily critturs, so you gotta be careful and have a backstop of some sort, otherwise when they "duck", you're arrows keep flying.

Also, after having used them for targets, you can take them back to the store and get your bottle refund. The only thing the bottle return machine cares about is the upc code on the label, so try not to hit it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.