Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While practicing outside yesterday I noticed something I thought was kind of strange. My wife is shooting a Hoyt Lazertec, and shooting it fairly well at 15-20 yards. I figured with more practice her groups would improve. Well, yesterday I had her sit on a rotating stool and mimick shooting out of her ground blind. She was shooting darts!! All her groups were tight and I was worried about her busting nocks. Her first arrow was dead on and obviously the others were all touching. I assume this would have something to do with her form standing up. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
pasoffes said:
While practicing outside yesterday I noticed something I thought was kind of strange. My wife is shooting a Hoyt Lazertec, and shooting it fairly well at 15-20 yards. I figured with more practice her groups would improve. Well, yesterday I had her sit on a rotating stool and mimick shooting out of her ground blind. She was shooting darts!! All her groups were tight and I was worried about her busting nocks. Her first arrow was dead on and obviously the others were all touching. I assume this would have something to do with her form standing up. Any Ideas?
where is the taget in relation to ya when your standing up shooting? Be specific. is it higher or lower than shoulder height??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Target..

The target is definately lower than her shoulders....Probably about waist high.
Does this make that much of a difference on her accuracy or ability to hold better?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Believe it or not alot of people shoot better when in a sitting position. You are eliminating alot of the variables that you normally would have when standing such as stance, wind moving you and your bow arm, ect... Alot more of your muscles are relaxed in this position as well. She is doing the right thing by practicing how she will most likely be shooting under hunting situations. I just watched an episode on bowhunter tv the other day where Randy Ulmer said that most people shoot better when kneeling or sitting. Just make sure you have good clearance for the shot and you bow when doing it. Good luck and good shootin'.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
pasoffes said:
Does this make that much of a difference on her accuracy or ability to hold better?
yep, when she sits down she has the right angles and she can group. When she stands she wants to maintain those same angles, if she doesn't her gruops get bigger. So how do ya maintain those angles? Well, you bend at the waist to get on target same as you do when your in a tree stand.

Draw bow get to anchor and it should be high above target then bend at the waist to lower everything as a unit to get on target. It is called unit aiming and it makes all the difference in the world group wise.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Most combat handgun courses instruct you to keep a slight bend in your knees(or you will slighty rock back and forth if you lock your knees, and you can't detect the movement) and you will shoot better. Works with bows also, my daughter had the same issue and a slight bend in the knees solved it. I've found that this really helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes sense...

I do appreciate the responses. Was hoping it wasn't a major form flaw.
Think tonite I'll watch and make sure she is bending at the waist.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
pasoffes said:
Yep, it is all about the angles! Her upper torso should look identical whether she is standing or sitting. When she is standing, her pivot point should be at the hips so that the upper torso does not change, which usually results in dropping the bow arm. This is my $.02 worth of free advice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts