Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some spots I'm gonna try to get to next year on public land, and I think a kayak or canoe is the only way to get to them. I prefer a kayak, because it's shorter and more mobile. Anybody here got any kayak advice, tips, recommendations?

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
I'm not an expert but I hunt out of one quite a bit. I have a Dagger Cypress I ordered several years ago now and it has served me well. Very stable and you can see my climber, bow and pack laying on the rear bulkhead. They are effortless to paddle and I can smoke any canoe on the water. Durable kayak for sure. I'm a big fan of water assaults.

Attachments

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
How do you get the deer out if you have a kayak?
I've towed my canoe behind my kayak with a deer carcass in it, not bad at all. Of course, that depends on the type of water you're hunting. I bear hunt but of them as well. There are a lot of advantages like no scent trail, no noise, no people...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Look at Jackson Kayak. My friend is product development engineer for them and they are serving the fisherman and hunters with their new designs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The hardest thing I found when using a kayak was getting in and out quietly without making a lot of noise (you sit very low in the water). I had to wear hip waders where I hunted and where I exited the kayak. I am more interested in getting a canoe for storage and ease of getting in and out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You want a sit on top. Something with a high weight capacity in this scenario I would think. I would look for something with a lot of deck space. If you aren't paddling far a peddle drive isnt necessary, but they are great for fishing too if you do that. I would look at Native, jackson, hobie, wilderness, ocean, or diablo paddlesports.

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
The hardest thing I found when using a kayak was getting in and out quietly without making a lot of noise (you sit very low in the water). I had to wear hip waders where I hunted and where I exited the kayak. I am more interested in getting a canoe for storage and ease of getting in and out.
I have a closed cockpit (with a spray skirt) and it does take more effort to find a suitable place to exit it but I haven't found the noise issue to be any greater than that of a canoe. I hunt out of both. A canoe comes in real handy when I'm setting bait barrels for bear hunting. I have two canoes and two kayaks. Three out of four of them see a lot of use during hunting season depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing.

Another advantage of going in from the water where I live is getting into deer that aren't disturbed by other hunters. Some/most of these places you just can't get near in a four wheel drive or ATV and not many guys are willing to boat in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a ultimate by native it's the 14' one. It works great haven't gotten to use it but twice for deer and no success, but all my stuff fit great and the hull design is very stable. Now duck hunting is why I bought it and it is the deal. Can stand up on one side and shoot no problems.

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
Don't buy one new if money is an issue. Lots of folks buy them, use them three or four times, hang them in the garage for a couple of years and wind up selling them in like-new condition for half the price.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use a narrow canoe. If you get one narrow enough at the rear, you can load equipment in front, and paddle from rear with kayak paddle. It aint easy getting a big buck in one, so make sure its open in the middle.
1102131620a.jpg
1102131931.jpg

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, posco, great info. I'm looking at getting a 12 footer, what length is yours? How far do you typically go when you paddle in?

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look at Jackson Kayak. My friend is product development engineer for them and they are serving the fisherman and hunters with their new designs.
Already looked at those. They look great, almost exactly what I'm looking for. I think the closest dealer is about 2 1/2 hours from me. I'd really like to see those up close.

·
Stop,Drop,&Roll
3,268 Posts
I've got a Jackson Kilroy & Jackson Cuda. Both would be great for hunting but I give the edge to Kilroy. It's like the SUV of kayaks.

·
NAASP
6,940 Posts
Don't be a bonehead! I'm not sure why folks don't get this (even the low information types) but native Americans figured this out about 10 thousand years ago through trial and error. They used canoes for what you want and what they did every day. Kayaks are what eskimos used on the open ocean. Don't fall for the hype. Get a solo canoe about 13 feet.......... it's lighter than any yak and can haul ten times the gear.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Don't be a bonehead! I'm not sure why folks don't get this (even the low information types) but native Americans figured this out about 10 thousand years ago through trial and error. They used canoes for what you want and what they did every day. Kayaks are what eskimos used on the open ocean. Don't fall for the hype. Get a solo canoe about 13 feet.......... it's lighter than any yak and can haul ten times the gear.
Maybe he wants to be a bonehead! I heard they are making a big come back in 2014!

LOL seriously I have to agree here. A Canoe is the better option for packing in and out. If you were fishing a top side kayak would be good.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I have a 9 ft kayak I have hunted out of it ,,it weights 40lbs .. so, you can carry it down to the water and up to the truck .I can only go in by a bridge. I hunt a spot that is public but, it is land locked by private land .There is no road only way in is a small river that is a creek at times...You couldn't use a very big canoe there a lot of the times .My Kayak bottom is kind of wider and I can float it in 6 inch's of water..All of that to say this,, it depends .

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
1 - 20 of 62 Posts