Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new tree stand. I am 6'1" and weigh 240 lbs. Like lots of room, light weight, sit and climb, ease of setup, and comfortable enough for the obligatory afternoon nap. Have had an older Viper(kind of tight), a Tree Lounge (hated it. hard to set up. archery platform was springy like a diving board, and was a pain to climb with.) and an API magnum extreme (roomy but heavy). Would like opinions on the Revolution, Lone Wolf Sit and Climb, New Viper xls or any other ideas anyone might have.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have never hunted out of the revolution, but it does look super comfortable. being that your a bigger fellow, you may want to look into the Goliath. It's basicly a bigger version of the Viper with a lot more room in the seat/rail portion. I truely love mine. It's very comfortable, roomy, stable, quiet and safe. It is a little heavy, but I will gladly take that in exchange for all the other features.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weight

That's why the API has fallen out of favor. 32 lbs. The Goliath is 22 lbs so that is an improvement. The thind I like about the Revolution is the open front. However, a friend of mine looked at them and said the foot rest/climbing seat looked a little cheap and difficult to use once in the air. By that I mean he said the climbing seat has to be flipped over and down to make it a foot rest and it had some thin cables that appeared to have to be disconnected and re-connected, along with pulling a couple of pins, while you are up the tree. He bought the viper extreme and loves it but he has a 34" waist as opposed to my more manly 40".

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I love mine.....Super nice.....The foot rest works great while in air...But the climbing seat thingy I removed and just climb like I did with my Cobra......I've taken several little naps in it....:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
In response to mace. I have the Viper xls, and love it. the climbing seat on it triples as the climbing bar, footrest and gun rest. The thin cables allow you to pull the bar up in to the gun rest position and lock it in. They have slides on them which allow you to adjust the height of the rest to whatever suits you.

Climbing with the stand does take some getting used to as you are quite aways out from the tree. but once you get used to it, you can get up there fast and quiet. i'm 6'4 255 and have no prblems getting all sleepy/ i mean comfy in the stand :D.

IMHO the bar just adds alot of versatility to the stand.

Good luck

Nick

·
Registered
12 Posts
In response to mace. I have the Viper xls, and love it. the climbing seat on it triples as the climbing bar, footrest and gun rest. The thin cables allow you to pull the bar up in to the gun rest position and lock it in. They have slides on them which allow you to adjust the height of the rest to whatever suits you.

Climbing with the stand does take some getting used to as you are quite aways out from the tree. but once you get used to it, you can get up there fast and quiet. i'm 6'4 255 and have no prblems getting all sleepy/ i mean comfy in the stand :D.

IMHO the bar just adds alot of versatility to the stand.

Good luck

Nick

·
Registered
41 Posts
now to the 'climber' tree stand myself, I went out and purchased a Summit Viper Classic. Granted it's not as lightweight as say the XLS etc, (around 30lbs), the stand packs in easily, climbs fast, and most importantly, is very secure (not a small guy here either, 5'8", 240lbs). I also have issues with height, and on this stand I dont get weirded out. I feel very secure. All the other stands I looked at in the price range I was looking at, really didn't appear to show me the same sense of security.

A buddy of mine pickedup a second hand Summit Bushmaster, and has used it for 2 years now (wish mine was as light as his!!), and loves it. Neither of us would even think of another stand.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
i'm getting a viper xls in a couple days , if you really want the revolution there is a guy in the classifieds selling one for 200 bucks , do a search to find it it was about a month ago i saw it i checked on it last week and it was still there , i would send the guy an email cause i don't think he logs on here too much , i think his name is archerynut69 no sure though , you might also want to take a look at the goliath , good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
mace ,i went to classifieds and moved it to the first page , i don't know how long it will be there, the guy's name is archerynut69 and it's listed as summit treestand, good luck

·
Registered
746 Posts
I just received a Summit Golith for my birthday. I hooked the seat up to the tree in my back yard to see what it felt like and get a little practice with the cables.... I do believe I am going to need some stacker 2's with ephedra to stay awake... WOW this is super comfy... I am going to hunt with it tomorrow, not doubt I will wake up only to hear my brother on the radio, telling me from across the ridge to stop snooring so freakin loud.. ZZZzzzzz

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I have it narrowed down

Tomorrow I am going to my favorite archery shop (On Target in Sunman In.) and get either a Goliath and add the footrest or I am going to get an O'Man grand vision. The Revolution won't be in until late next week and can't wait any longer. I have a credit down there so that is the way I am going to go.....I think!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts