Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know someone who is not happy with this bow and I may be interested in buying it.

it is an ultratec, camo , 70 pounds, xt 200 cam 1/2.

he says he cannot get it to paper tune no matter what.

he also said this is the first bow he cannot get his field points and broadheads very close to the same impact point by tring to fine tune.

I wonder is there a common problem I could look for in the bow that may be causing this?

I just dont want to buy a bad one!

Thanks
Francis

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
I own one, It's the best bow I have ever owned or shot in 15yrs of shooting. I have a feeling the person who's having troubles, has troubles with all bows.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
User Error

I think I'll have to agree with centershot, probably nothing wrong with the bow, but the person behind the string.

I had no problem with Ultratec I had, easy to tune with broadheads & field points, just make sure about the cam "timing". Only reason I got rid of it is because the Merlin Max3000 with Omega cams is just that much better.

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, but this person is an excellent shooter, really good at tuning and shooting all of his bows.

if there is something not right trust me i surely believe him, the only thing is I am not sure what to look for, and he is just fed up and wants to get rid of it.

I hope maybe someone with similar problems might hav some useful information. I am sure withall brands of bows there are some bad apples, I would just like to know somehow before i buy what I am encountering .

Thanks

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Being that I have the same bow and early on had problems I want to interject my thoughts on the topic.

I think Hoyt has found the point of no returns with the size of the handle on the 2003 line. The grip area is so narrow and small that I had to re-train myself to shoot this as good as the 2002 model. I found that if you gripped the bow deep in your hand then left and rights, and paper were a problem. When I got the bow out on the pad of my thumb it shot like a dream.

The 2002 grip was a little larger and in my opinion easier to shoot.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
to add to what Tony said:

I took my old 2002 Protec to league last night (instead of my new 2003 Protec with cam .5). The 2002 has the larger grip and command cams.

I shot my BEST score of my life and the only misses where where I was aiming (my fault). My 2003 will offer surprise misses and I am still sorting that out.

Hate to admit it but my old bow out-shoots my new one.

ox

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys.

he started talking about going back to mathews for level nock travel, but I know that cant be the problem, wasnt inthe past with other single cams ??

but I think you guys may be on to something

thanks

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,837 Posts
I have heard of SOME very few "bad" ones out there. My friend has one. He bought a 2003 cam & 1/2 and it won't shoot a group to save its life no matter how it's setup or who shoots it. (It aint shooter error either, the guy is a world champion) The bow has been back to Hoyt five times so far. They won't do anything about it. They say everything is within spec and nothing is wrong. Hoyt says it must be him so right now he has a $721.00 boat anchor. Becareful buying this bow if your friend can't get it to shoot cause you might have your own boat anchor next.

Now my own ultratec cam 1&2 is the best bow I've ever shot and it out shoots either of my two 2002 Ultratecs. Go figure. Every company is capable of making a real lemon from time to time.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
francis

It's hard to believe we could all have such different opinions. I think the 03 Ultratec is great in every way..the grip is what I like the most about the 03 line...I just sold my 01 Protec target and bought a 03 target to go with my camo bow.

Get the bow and shoot it some...make sure the cams are hitting the stops at the same time...what rest is on it? The Tec riser don't like some fall-aways.
The grip is what sold me.. all my 01's and 02's are gone..and Hoyt better do something real special this year to get my money and the 03's.
Are you confused yet:D DUBBYA ARE

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
have a cam.5 (2003) and its a dream to shoot.Outshoots any other bow Ive ever had.
I have set many of them up at the shop where I shoot.Never have had a problem.However I have seen several guys who claim to have the same problem.Almost all of the time it is related to the grip that they are use to using.After I show them the proper wat to hold the grip,(on the thumb pad) and not between the fingers and thumb they start shooting bullet holes in paper and grouping well.
Oxford,No offence to you,but I dont think your old bow is outshooting your new one.You may just not be as proficient with it for some reason.Maybe you just havent found the right grip combo or something else that will enable you to get the most out of your 2003.Although Im not saying that that is the absolute problem,becouse as you know there can be many other things that can cause problems.I would however start there and see what happens.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If possibile change the module positions to a different draw length. Closer to the center the better. Some bow models just can not handle the extreme module positions.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
turkey -- good point. but i use the same grip on both. (resting on pad under thumb) and make sure i am using the same pressure etc. Then i shoot them side-by-side each evening and they are set up identically. My cam marks on the cam.5 are on the same place inside the two markings so the timing should be fine.

they both shoot great but the old protec keeps inching away from the new guy. I call the 2002 the GOLD DIGGER because it finds Xs even when I think i've messed up a shot. the 2003 will punish me if I'm not perfect...:eek:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Oxford,Here is another suggestion.You probably already know this,but since I was thinking about it I thought I would ask.
Are your bottom draw stop and top cam hitting at the same time?Even though your strings are between the timing marks the cams might be hitting at the same time.When at full draw does the bottom stop hit as the string is laying perfectly in the can grove?If not you might have to twist the cable a little to get it where it needs to be.The string can be in the timing marks and the cams still be a little off.This happened to mine from stretch,so I adjusted it and my arrows were more in the X.Instead of around it.At the same time it makes a harder wall.It doesnt take much to feel the difference.
A couple of guys that I shoot with like theirs set up with the top cam a little advanced,they say it almost feels like a small vally.Personally I like a harder wall,but to each his own.
Hope this helps .At least it is something else to check out.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,837 Posts
As a update on my friends bow that I mentioned in previous post, He took the bow to a different dealer and they found what the problem was. It had cracked plastic blocks or spacers in the limb pockets and the limb pockets were not straight. The dealer got Hoyt to replace the spacers, limb pockets and limbs. Now the bow appears to be shooting ok. My friend thanks both the dealer (who didn't even sell him that bow) for giving excellent service and Hoyt for finally standing behind their product. What I don't understand is if the dealer could spot this problem and fix it why couldn't Hoyt's so called "experts" in warrantee claims spot it? They had 5 chances to spot something wrong. In my opinion either they didn't look very hard or they don't know what to look for in the first place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts