Archery Talk Forum banner

Right handed or Left Handed Bow Shooter?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I the only left handed bow shooter out there? I am right handed but have always shot guns and bows left. I was curious what kind of split their is between right and left hand shooters.
I can always find a lot of right handed bows on the shelves in stores but a whole lot less lefties. thanks

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
I am a Southpaw not just in Archery but everything............

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I used to be right handed,but I was smart enough to overcome that !:tongue:

I'm a lefty at about everything. If my left arm got cut off i'd be in trouble!
Funny thing,when I started bowhunting in the late 80's I didn't know anything about it so I got a Bear Whitetail II bow from Walmart,of course right handed.I didn't even know they made right or left hand bows. I did kill two deer with that bow,but it just never did feel right shooting it. After having it a couple years I discovered they made left hand bows. WHAT A DIFFERENCE ! It felt natural to me and my left eye was dominate and then I could shoot with both eyes open,which I think makes a big difference.

I just wish being a lefty,I could have thrown a baseball 95mph.....i'd have been making the big bucks ! Oh well,shooting the big bucks is more rewarding !!:thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm a lefty and usually have to order my bows without every shooting one.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Left handed, left dominant eye, and short drawn, can I get a break?!

·
Registered
23 Posts
left handed

demo bows? never get that chance. left handed bow products, ie, sights, rests? got to be kidding! being a lefty is great though, different is nearly always better!! kind of rough at shoots sometimes when the stake is set against a tree for the right handed people. hard to straddle the stake or even touch it at times. any other leftys prefer targets facing to the right?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
right handed except bow and gun

I am right handed for everything except for bow and gun. I used to shoot right handed and switched when I was around 11 years old. Been that way now for 27 years...

I'm a southpaw when it counts!!

Steve

·
Registered
244 Posts
Southpaw all the way! All though when I was a youngster I was forced to write with my right hand:angry: I still write right handed, (and I write like crap) but everything else lefty.

·
Registered
865 Posts
lefty

shoot left,left eye dom,bat both,golf rh,hockey shoot lh,write lh ,swing hammer both , talk about screwed up????? :eek:

·
A Man for All Seasons
2,713 Posts
Texas southpaw

Left handed, left dominant eye, and short drawn, can I get a break?!
++1

my local archery shop always has at least one LH bow to test and the recent conventions/shows that I have attended lately (that have the shoot indoor rolling archery trailers; like bowtec) have also had LH bows to test.
better yet; even the AT site has a lefty classified section!!!!! and you lefties will find more stuff there than anywhere else.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lefty all the way. The only downside is finding left handed equipment sometimes. That and getting into a treestand some righty has put up.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Im in the same boat as VMS. EVERYTHING RIGHTY EXCEPT SHOOTING!! I have a local shop that carries at least one lefty of every bow for us wrong handed people to test out so Im lucky there.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I am a lefty. I have always shot a right handed bow left handed (backwards). It works for me and I am not going to change a thing. If you go to u tube and look up "The Jaws Buck" or my other videos you will surely know why I will always stay screwed up.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I am right handed but since my accident where I lost my left arm I have to shoot left handed, or one at least shoot a left handed bow. Since I only have my right arm I guess you could say that technically I still do everything right handed, lol. Anyways it is weird because I had shot my whole life right handed until recently (November, 2008. had been shooting X-bow for a few years but just made the switch back to compound). Now I am having to train my left eye to stay open and close my right to shoot. Its getting lots better, I actually got my second robin hood yesterday since I started shooting again!(even though it WASN'T on purpose its still pretty cool) Now that I am getting used to shoot left handed I like it but as someone mentioned above, equipment is harder to come by.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
I'm left handed for eating and shooting. I do everything else right handed.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Left handed even though i am right eye dominate still shoot lefty. I dont care I refuse to use my right hand to shoot.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Left eye dominant, so i shoot lefty, except for pistols. Thats when im forced to use my nose to block out my left eye.

·
Registered
723 Posts
ya im a lefty but a real jacked up situation.... im a righty in everything and god awful with my left hand when tryin to write or anything elese... but im left eye dominit and most likly wouldnt be a problem with still being able to shoot righty except i cant close my left eye and have my right eye open... i can do the opposite and close my right eye while keeping my left open... this actualy cost me the biggest buck i have ever seen in michigan on my first hunt ever...

this was after only shooting a gun a few times i was out on opening day of rifle season i had a reeaaal nice buck trotting by at 15 yards i was waiting for him to get close and was set up righty because of instinct of being a right in everything and getting major buck fever as it was the first deer i have ever seen in the wild. well i go to get him in my sights and realize its all ***** backwards and while tryin to switch lefty he see's me and iss off into teh sunset never to be seen again!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts