Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How and when are you guys using deer urine?
I've had pretty good success with rattleing but not too much with calling or with deer lures. Just wondering what everyone is doing out there.

My rattleing success is usually the end of Oct beginning of Nov. (here in MA that is usually just before rut). I bang the antlers hard and loud for four 20-30 second intervals with 15-20 seconds between each set. After that fourth set get ready because I've had a few buck come in fast. I've found out loud is usually better than soft.

Just looking for some help using calls and lures.
Thanks

·
74,535 Posts
Doe estrous

I have had deer run to the scent during rut. I use code blue and if the ruts on there will be some out around my tree.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Use Tinks #69 during the pre-rut and rut and you cant go wrong.I've had grest success with it.Great stuff .GOOD LUCK !!!!!

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Like any tool you have to knwo how to use any scent and you must make every effort to control Human scent at the same time

TINK

·
74,535 Posts
Well Said

I always use plastic containers and gloves when handling scent. I usally place some on trail to stand. I use que tip and swap a branch or leave about nose high on way in.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Not to rain on any one's parade here. But I have been having great success with Hawg's Buck Fever this year.

·
I'd rather be hunting!
1,897 Posts
Bowhunters Secret Formula has been working great here in the early season!

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I've tried many of the so called "great" scents but I just haven't see many deer respond well to the majority of them. The ONLY scent that really seems to do an excellent job of attracting and holding mature bucks is James Valley Scents. I've been fortunate enough to shoot some great bucks that just couldn't resist the Gels. Wall Hanger and Lethal Weapon seem to work the best for me. I can't begin to tell you the number of bucks I've had come in to mock scrapes laced with different JVS lures. I would suggest at the very least, pick up a jar of JVS Gel and give it a try.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
camogr,
Pay attention to the deer in each area that you hunt to see if they're using their noses or not. ;)

I don't use scents if I don't have to and the reason for that is: Why make them start smelling around if they're not doing so on their own?

I'm sure it will be different from state to state and with topographical differences, etc., but I've had my best luck with Vanilla extract on 3 cotton balls stuffed inside a 35mm film canister. It's not a scent that's native to the area, but it's pleasant for them to smell and it makes them curious. I have never had a deer spook when they smelled it. :cool:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm not a scent expert. I've used a variety of scents from cover scents, curiousity scents, doe in heat, and intruder buck type lures. I've also used lures made from deer I've taken. With that said here's my opinion/experiances:

Lures sometimes seem to work like magic, other times they seem to have no effect, and sometimes they can have a negative effect and run a deer off that you could have otherwise taken. So rather than trust a lure to have the desired effect I now concentrate on putting myself in the right place at the right time and use no sounds or scents at all. Invisibility scentwise and otherwise is the name of the game. It works for me, your results may vary! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts