Archery Talk Forum banner

Any math experts?

974 Views 21 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  electric sheep
I've got a question for one of you math wizards. Assuming a 45* angle, how far would a 382 grain arrow shot at 267fps go? The arrow specs are 100gr tip, 27 1/2" long at 8.4 gpi. It would be shot from a bow with a 28 1/2" DL and a 71lb DW.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,021 Posts
I assumed that the arrow would be shot from about 5' off of the ground and neglected all air resistance and I calculated that the arrow would fly 740 yrd.

· Registered
1,796 Posts
I once killed an antelope at 740 yards

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts

· Registered
4,070 Posts
I've got a question for one of you math wizards. Assuming a 45* angle, how far would a 382 grain arrow shot at 267fps go? The arrow specs are 100gr tip, 27 1/2" long at 8.4 gpi. It would be shot from a bow with a 28 1/2" DL and a 71lb DW.
We'll need the standard gravity reading at the precise location in order to accurately figure the speed. We'll also need wind speed, temperature,and RH.

· Registered
1,796 Posts
Was he getting a drink?
Yes, I could hear him drinking and lazer range finded him at just over 750 yds so I stood tall and fired my bow at a 45 degree angle, adjusting for the wind of course, and let er fly...:eek:t:

· Registered
428 Posts
You need the weight, ballistic coefficient, speed, altitude, Humidity, Barometric pressure, and the drag function (don't know what this would be for an arrow but its G1 for most boat tail bullets). Put all this into a ballistic calculator and it will tell you the terminal distance. . . on my 7mm mag it is just over 4 miles :darkbeer:

There are several free ballistic calculators on the internet. There is a post on www.longrangehunting.com that lists them all. I think it's a sticky in the ballistic section.

I certainly wouldn't think that it's 740. . . although I could be wrong. Plus for my rifle 45 deg. doesn't give the maximum distance either. . . don't know that I understand why though??? All I know is that people far smarter than me made the program.

The only thing that gets tricky is that the ballistic coefficient drops as the velocity drops so it will be a little bit shorter than what the calculator gives you. I would guess only maybe a 20 yard difference tho. . .

Kelpy

P.S. I am with the guy who said a lumenock. . . give her a fling and let us know what it actually is!

· Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
P.S. I am with the guy who said a lumenock. . . give her a fling and let us know what it actually is!
I'm thinking about shooting down the firelane next to some power lines and see what I come up with. After that I'll see about shooting across the lake, which is what I'm really after. I just don't want to be too far off. Too short and I'll lose them in the lake, too long and the wind catches it just right I might have to explain why there's an arrow stuck in the ______ (fence, rabbit cage, pump house, etc)

· Registered
28,629 Posts
My math is limited to single digit addition & subtraction. That said, I do know the bow wouldn’t cast an arrow 740 yards.:mg:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.