Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here goes into the woods/hunting with just their weapon of choice and the bare essentials? What do you carry on your hunts if you consider yourself a minimalist? I took inventory of my hunting pack this past weekend and I think I'm taking a lot more than I actually need when I hunt, so I'm trying to get a feel for what others take with them.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I primarily hunt from the ground so I'll grab a small folding saw, swivel stool and my bow. If I'm using my climber I'll bring my safety harness and range finder. Everything else stays in the truck. Since I hunt public lands I pack as little in as possible.

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,354 Posts
No binos. No heavy pack. A drink, a grunt tube a snack and a drag rope. Some camo face paint and a hand held yahtzee game.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I usually have a 500 yd walk or so and sit about three hours at a time, not all day and I have hang-ons in most places so I don't need much. I carry my bow, release hangs on my wrist on way in. Rangefinder and phone in a pocket, and later on in the season a few calls in the pocket as well. I have pull ropes hanging off each stand. If it's morning I'll have a headlight on, evening it's in the pocket. Knife and drag rope I leave at the car and will go get them if I need them. If it's a new area I will take the climber on my back.

Don't know if this qualifies for 'minimal' or not.

I want to try a decoy next year.

Now when I take the kids, whole different ballgame. Water, extra sweatshirt, snacks, iPod sometimes, binoculars, and aything else they can talk me into.

·
Registered
656 Posts
where i hunt minimal is...binos,rangefinder,knife,tags,15ftparacord,flashlight,lighter,snack & weapon. add a packframe if i go up a mountain.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Water, extra sweatshirt, snacks, iPod sometimes, binoculars, and aything else they can talk me into.
This is about what I'm taking NOW, and I haven't even started taking the kids with me. Add the drag rope, extra gloves, knife, extra shirt cuz I sweat like a hog, grunt tube, scent spray, buck lure, and wind indicator.

I take too much stuff with me.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I suppose I qualify as a minimalist most of the time. I prefer still-hunting/ spot and stalk so packing a lot of gear isn't my idea of fun. Do carry paracord, HD fixed blade knife {KAY_BAR Warthog--surgically sharp}, butt-out tool, bypass pruners, SS mesh butchers gloves, camo netting, spare release, squeeze bottle of talc, small emergency medical kit small bottle of water and trail mix. If I think the yotes will be a problem before I can get the deer out I'll pack a small Block and Tackle to get the deer off the ground and out of reach.
Normally don't bother with scents, scent blockers etc., etc. as I always do my damnedest to hunt the wind. Oooops, forgot binoks... must have binoks!! Also forgot grunt tube.

·
Registered
563 Posts
All I ever bring during bow season is my bow, and the clothes on my back. Maybe a grunt call. And I always carry my leatherman charge tti. No packs, food, water, but I hunt private property and rarely stay in my stand more than 4 hours.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
For afternoon or morning sits, say three hours and less I take a grunt call my rangefinder a small handheld HD video camera and my phone. For all days sits I take a backpack with the above mentioned my can call a jug to per in, some drinks and some snacks and that is it. I don't have a fancy harness like what most of y'all have. Mine simply goes around my waist and is tied to the tree. It also doubles as a drag strap. My motto is pack lightly and move swiftly be undetected get in and get out

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Bow, arrows, rangefinder, knife, tag, phone.

Sometimes: call, light, extra layers, toe and hand warmers, snack

Almost never: beverages, binos

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
haul rope
safety strap
bow hook & quiver mount
knife
drag rope
tag
rangefinder
headlamp
add some snacks and water for longer sits.

i'm amazed at the amount of crap some people haul into the woods

·
Registered
11,589 Posts
Deer at home-Bow, 5 Arrows, range finder, grunt tubes & rattle horns, knife, flashlite, buck lure (Estrus), Still & video camera. My stands are up b/4 season.
Out of state when I go to my blind or stand same as above + binoculars & drag rope. Game hauler at camp or truck.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,615 Posts
Bow, knife, grunt, 25" of rope, and binos...water and a snack if it's an all day hunt.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Bow and three arrows is usually what I bring. Binos in harness and thats about it. All day sit, will bring a small bag of goodies, but I usually don't touch it

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
After reading posts by some of the others perhaps minimalist doesn't apply to me.....:set1_thinking::dontknow:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts