Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
between the V-tec, X-tec, Vipertec, etc? I am looking for a good used bow for my 13 year old son. I'm pretty sure the cam 1/2 has a 26-28.5 inch cam. He will need a 50-60 pound draw weight, his draw right now is 26.5inches. I got on the Hoyt site and no pictures or anything of the older bows, just specs on the tune chart. If anyone can tell me what they would recommend for him I would appreciate it. He will be shooting a ton in the backyard, a lot of 3-d with the old man this summer, and this bow will be a hunting bow. Thanks.

·
7 Time pHp Camp Champion
7,394 Posts
XTec came out in '04 as a shorter version of the UltraTec. It was the first to have the XT1000 limbs. Same riser, shorter limbs. The VTec replaced it. Same principle. Same riser as the UltraTec, just shorter limbs. IMHO, I would look into an UltraTec. It is legendary for being a do-it-all bow. Hunting, spots & 3D. You can get it to fit your boy and it will for years to come. It offers a little more ATA than the XTec & VTec but the same cams and brace height. I was never that impressed w/ the ViperTec. The last year for the UltraTec was '06. After that, look into the 38 Ultra or this year's 737.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, great info. Anyone else with an opinion? Do any of you think the longer ATA of the Ultratech will make it harder for a "smaller" person to maneuver in the woods?

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
XTec came out in '04 as a shorter version of the UltraTec. It was the first to have the XT1000 limbs. Same riser, shorter limbs. The VTec replaced it. Same principle. Same riser as the UltraTec, just shorter limbs. IMHO, I would look into an UltraTec. It is legendary for being a do-it-all bow. Hunting, spots & 3D. You can get it to fit your boy and it will for years to come. It offers a little more ATA than the XTec & VTec but the same cams and brace height. I was never that impressed w/ the ViperTec. The last year for the UltraTec was '06. After that, look into the 38 Ultra or this year's 737.

What he said.

Differences are ATA lengths, minor speed differences, limbs, and slightly different risers. The Ultratec is the bow giving the best of all qualities.

I have an '06 Ultratec w/ Spirals on its way to my house right now. Have looked long and hard to find the right one, and one just fell into my lap this weekend. Its a keeper for sure. Next year I plan getting a Seven37 to keep it company.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just looking through some of the old classifieds and came across the "Razortec". Anyone know the specs or any info on this bow? Year?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking to spend somewhere around $300 for a good used one. Definitely think I'm going with an Ultratec, X-tec or V-tec. Reflex is a good bow from what I've heard, however, Dad and big brother both have "Hoyts" so you know how that goes. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've had a Ultratec and an XTec and they were both great bows. I thought the Razortecs were great hunting bows also, but would prefer the other two for 3D and spots. I'd stay away from the Spiral Cams since you neeed to have some adjustment as he grows. The Cam and 1/2's don't have the best feeling cam when you are on the bottom of the range, but he will grow into it. Hoyt used to recommend shooting them at the second or third from longest length on the cam. It will still shoot fine on the low end, just not the optimal modual location.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
I've owned all of the bows you have mentioned, Razortec, X-tec, V-tec, Vipertecs and Ultratecs and I agree with Predator I think for a 13 year old into all the things you mentioned a V-tec would be the ticket. There are plenty of them around at great prices and it would be perfect, not too short of an ATA and not too long. For his size it will be easy to handle in the woods. An advantage over the X-tec which is basically the same bow is he can either shoot the one piece grip or side plates just gives him more comfort options when it comes to the grip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.