Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
I used to hunt form a climber all the time and just getting back into it. I laways felt I was making too much comotion and hated getting all setup in the dark, then having to climb down and packup after sunset.

I have a fixed stand on in the in-laws land but all my public hunting has to be a climber, so I just deal with it.

But yes, it sure seems like sound travels WAY more before sun up!

· Registered
1,065 Posts
I don't hunt from a climber 100% of the time, but I do probably 80%. I take my time climbing up in my Old Man, and wouldn't trade that stand for anything. I do agree, It is alot quiter climbing up into a lockon that is already strapped in, but the versatility a climber gives is worth a little extra noise IMO.

· Registered
806 Posts
Deer don't know what a climbing stand is, nor do they know that whatever sound they may make is coming from a hunter with a climbing stand. Think about it. I use a climbing stand all the time and I shoot many deer while using one. Just go hunt!

· Registered
988 Posts
Climber only.

I only hunt from a climber. I love being able to move when and where ever I want to. Being mobile makes a big difference, especially during archery season. I love my lone wolf sit and climb. I just bought it last year and got one heck of a deal on it. I think I will be using this stand until I am like 60 if my health allows me to.

· Registered
6,628 Posts
I've had bucks walk under my climber 2 minutes after I settled in and sounded like a brush hog going up the tree lol. These days about 98% of my hunting is done from a climber.

· Registered
343 Posts
No Hurry

IMO- plan to be ready to hunt an hour before sunrise. Enter your area with enough time to take your time even if things are going slow that day you will have time for the woods and your heart-rate to settle well before the sun comes up. Ive had movement under my stand before i could see every trip this year, but i had been up for 45 min. This is serenity. :)

· Registered
3,591 Posts
I hunt both, If I am hunting close to a bedding area I would rather have my hang-on already attached. Although my Lone wolf is really quiet. Last fall I climbed a tree & got setup & 75 yards away there was 6 deer bedded down. About 1 hour later they decided to get up & check out my can call. Needles to say I was draging not very long after that.

· Prairie Ghost
1,973 Posts
The only stand I own is an 'Ol Man climber. I like the mobility, but I agree they are louder. But it'a amazing how quiet you can be if you take your time. About half the time I use the bottom half of my stand as a lock on. I'll climb using the branches with the base slung over my shoulder and slip it on when I get where I want.

· Matt R
2,157 Posts
I have 2 Summit Viper's that I hunt 95% of the time. I hunt private land, so I leave 1 set up in my favorite spot and use the other to move around and scout other areas. I could never go back to a hangon, just for the comfort feature alone. If you are not comfortable, you can't sit still. And when you move, you make noise, so I think I would rather make a "little" noise climbing, then a little while hunting...JMO

· Banned
3,149 Posts
Pretty much 100% of the time!!

· Registered
966 Posts
About 99.9 percent of the time my back bothers me sitting in a little hang on stand but I can sit all day in my Summit Cobra.

· Registered
340 Posts
I've only used a climber in past years, because that's all I had. I bought a hang on stand this year but haven't hunted it yet. I'm looking forward to having both. The hang on it set up in a place that I can get to and get up quickly, and get some hunting in before and after work. But the climber is nice to have to adjust to where I see other deer moving. I've found as long as I get in the woods early and get settled awhile before sunrise then it works great.

· Registered
633 Posts
All climber for me. Saturday was a perfect example. I set up in a tree about 12 yards off a descent trail. 2 hours later i had 2 does walk a trail 30 yards behind me. It was too thick for a shot so I looked for other trees I could set up on next time to give me a shot. Can't wait til this weekend rolls around. It is kind of a pain hauling a stand in and out of the woods but the versatility is priceless. There are some spots I could hang a lock on or ladder stand but the funds are limited so I deal with what I have.

· Registered
4,129 Posts
I would say about 90 percent of my whitetail hunting is done from a climber. I just like the versatility and hunting multiple locations throughout season. The only time I don't hunt from my climber is if I am putting on a deer drive during rifle season for other hunters or if the wind is just so bad it is not safe to be in a stand. I agree with other posters. Just get to the tree early and take your time going up the tree and noise can be kept at a minimum. I find that small movements up the tree are safer and quieter than trying to make big strides.

· Registered
3,395 Posts
I hunt strictly from a climber as I do not have my own or private property to hunt on. I had tried fixed stands in the past but all ended up being stolen. Hopefully some day I will have some property to hang stands on but that doesn't even guarantee them not being stolen.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
Climber is all I use. I hunt mainly state property and if you leave anyhting in a tree. It isn't long before its no longer yours. Swithced to Lone Wolf Alpha this so far I am very impressed with the noise level from it versus my Loggy. I have had nothing but succes with a climber over the past years. I love the mobility of a climber.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.