Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been involved in archery clubs for nearly thirty years and have been setting up courses for 3D and broadhead shoots for almost that long. I recently moved to a new area and got involved in a new local club and I feel like the layout of the course is dangerous. The existing members disagree with me, but rather than argue my opinion vs. theirs I am hoping to find some sort of standards for archery ranges out there. I know that the NRA has standards for rifle ranges for example and didn't know if any of the archery organizations might have something similar.

The issues I have with the course seem very obvious to me, such as shooting towards a county highway and having the course set up in loops and shooting into the loop rather than out from the loop.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
never ever shoot into the loop. always shoot outside. and dont shoot towards a road or housing. its really pretty simple and common sense.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't agree more, but apparently common sense isn't so common sometimes. I already know it doesn't pay to debate these guys without having something to give them that backs my opinion.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,442 Posts

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
If you can ask the shooter coming off the coures how they feel about it .The course that is ,if they felt safe or not.
I know around here if you see something that's not right ,you just let them know asap and they take care of it in hurry.We did have one range were the guy keep his head up his butt ,He no longer in business.Everyone just stoped shooting there .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I had found the NFAA rules as well yesterday. If I read them correctly, they say that there is only a 40 yard buffer necessary behind the target? That seems about ten times shorter than I would find acceptable.
This course has several targets shooting towards a road that is between 100-200 yards from the target. To me, that is not enough safety margin in case of a release going off, string loop breaking, glancing off the back of a 3D target, etc. The course also has shots going INTO a loop with targets/walking trails within that same 100-200 yard distance.
I know the chances are slim or any shots reaching someone else, but any chance is too much for me. What are your thoughts?

·
74,535 Posts
Seen plenty of unsafe ranges in my day.

Have yet to ever see anyone hit from an arrow.

Comman sense goes a long way. If you feel unsafe there most likely a good reason
DB

db

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been on some courses with dangerous targets before too, but not one with multiple ones that are used every week.

I also have not seen anyone hit from an arrow and I never want to hear about one, much less have it happen on a course I am involved with. I don't even want to hear of a close call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts