Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad gave me one for my birthday. He got it on a garage sale this past spring, its the newer one with the green finish on it and the bowhunter stand, steep angle pad, pillow, camo bag, and the t adjuster that you can change the angle while your climbing. He was all excited to use it it but broke his wrist in June and fears he wouldnt have the strength in his wrist to climb with it. I really like the idea and comfort of the stand. I have a summit viper I have always used and probably still will, but I hunt a lot of public land where the walks are long and I thought I would buy a set of the wheels for it and roll it in behind me rather than carry it, plus if I shoot a deer I have a deer cart. I think I would have to hunt higher than normal since it sticks out so far, but otherwise I think it should work great. Any thoughts? Anyone else use one?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ttt

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have one but not with the bowhunter adapter. It is a very comfortable stand. It's not as noisy as some would have you believe but not completely silent either. I think you will find that when you stand on the adapter; you will not like it because it's not very steady. I think there is alot of movement in it. My suggestion is to try it before you commit to it too much. Or you may can learn to shoot while seated. Not sure how well that is going to work though.

It's great for rifle hunting though!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used one once and didn't like it. Like you said, it sticks out pretty far from the tree. What I disliked the most was having to turn around in it once you climbed to where you wanted to be. I know they are very safe stands but I just didn't like that part. It was very comfortable to sit in though.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Dang did Margaret Hice shoot some nice bucks on those videos or what?!?!

Reactions: Tenn47

·
Registered
533 Posts
It is the most comfortable stand I have ever sat in. It is some what of the pain to set up on a tree. I will only use mine at times I plan to to hunt all day or several hours, then it is worth the effort to pack in and set up. If my hunt is going to be less than 4 hours, then I use my equalizer stand.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Very comfortable stand, but a pain to carry and set up. I usually leave it in 1 good spot for the season. With the wheels you may be alot better off.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's a very comfortable stand. My uncle has one and I used it when I first got into bowhunting before buying my own climber about 15 years ago. Back then I didn't like how far it stuck out from the tree (with the bowhunter platform), didn't like how noisy it was, and definitely didn't like the weight (I was about 150# then. ha) Bought an API bowhunter when I was 15/16 and never looked back. At that time (and I still feel this way) most of the climbers are much more portable and quiet than the tree lounge. Not sure if they every went to aluminum or what they cost now so maybe I'm out of the loop. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I often use a Tree Lounge. If packed properly it is quiet, and carries better than many lighter climbing stands which protrude further behind you. It is the most comfortable stand I have found. I have no trouble staying awake as I am hunting, If I want to nap I can do so comfortably. Set-up takes a little longer than many climbers, but no climber is more versatile! I can completely set mine up with the bowhunter adapter in less than five minutes. That's only ten minutes out of my hunting day devoted to set-up and take down of my stand. To me the hours spent in comfort are worth any tradeoffs!

The Tree Lounge is adjustable to the changing diameter of the tree as you climb. The angle of the top piece is not as critical to comfort, because of the sling seat, however if you desire, the angle is adjustable, either as you climb or when you reach your desired height. The bowhunter adapter is adjustable both before and after climbing so you will have a level place to stand to shoot. The fact that you are away from the tree means the tree does not restrict your shot as much as with other stands. In other words, it provides a greater field of fire! There is some movement when in the act of standing or maneuvering for the shot, however this has never cost me a deer. By the time I've settled in for the shot, the stand has settled as well. It feels natural to me.

All that said, I believe the stand you have was manufactured between late 1999 and 2003. Is it made of round extruded aluminum? The T-handle angle adjuster is no longer used. In fact a recall was issued on them. Not because of defect but incorrect use. Checkout the Q&A section at www.treelounge.com Always use a safety harness! Be attached to the tree from when you leave the ground until you safely return to the ground!

This is not to knock your stand but to help you remain safe and enjoy your stand all the more. The stands made during those years passed TMA standards and if in good condition and used properly, I am sure are safe to use. Knowledge is power, and knowing all you can about your equipment can only benefit you. Checkout the Tree Lounge web site for climbing safety tips, and videos. Checkout this link to see Q&A, particularly the last three questions. http://www.treelounge.com/faq.htm#28

Happy Hunting, Rummy

·
hunter
8,143 Posts
Dang did Margaret Hice shoot some nice bucks on those videos or what?!?!
I still have that promotional DVD with Margaret. I should get it out and watch it for grins. I always thought that was done in a hi fence compound, or on an island like Giles Island. Except for the bear hunts of course. I don't imagine you can fence bears in with any real success. Anyway, it was amusing, but I never bought the stand. If I want to read or take a nap, I stay home on the couch.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i have one and as said its very confortable to sit for long periods. Its easy to climb with but kind of hard to come down with for me. As I go higher the angle get tighter and you are closer to the tree. This puts my hands closer to the tree on the rails. This puts more weight behjnd you that you have to lift with your wrist. I use my hip to help lift the stand off the tree so I can jack down. I set mine up and leave it in the area.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I use mine a couple of times per year. I may use it in bow season now that you mention it because it is so comfy.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I had one a while back....hated it..compared to my ol man it is noisy and while it is comfy you are limited to certain positions. Sounds like a **** in a tin can factory trying to set up.

·
The Impartial Archer
19,436 Posts
I often use a Tree Lounge. If packed properly it is quiet, and carries better than many lighter climbing stands which protrude further behind you. It is the most comfortable stand I have found. I have no trouble staying awake as I am hunting, If I want to nap I can do so comfortably. Set-up takes a little longer than many climbers, but no climber is more versatile! I can completely set mine up with the bowhunter adapter in less than five minutes. That's only ten minutes out of my hunting day devoted to set-up and take down of my stand. To me the hours spent in comfort are worth any tradeoffs!

The Tree Lounge is adjustable to the changing diameter of the tree as you climb. The angle of the top piece is not as critical to comfort, because of the sling seat, however if you desire, the angle is adjustable, either as you climb or when you reach your desired height. The bowhunter adapter is adjustable both before and after climbing so you will have a level place to stand to shoot. The fact that you are away from the tree means the tree does not restrict your shot as much as with other stands. In other words, it provides a greater field of fire! There is some movement when in the act of standing or maneuvering for the shot, however this has never cost me a deer. By the time I've settled in for the shot, the stand has settled as well. It feels natural to me.

All that said, I believe the stand you have was manufactured between late 1999 and 2003. Is it made of round extruded aluminum? The T-handle angle adjuster is no longer used. In fact a recall was issued on them. Not because of defect but incorrect use. Checkout the Q&A section at www.treelounge.com Always use a safety harness! Be attached to the tree from when you leave the ground until you safely return to the ground!

This is not to knock your stand but to help you remain safe and enjoy your stand all the more. The stands made during those years passed TMA standards and if in good condition and used properly, I am sure are safe to use. Knowledge is power, and knowing all you can about your equipment can only benefit you. Checkout the Tree Lounge web site for climbing safety tips, and videos. Checkout this link to see Q&A, particularly the last three questions. http://www.treelounge.com/faq.htm#28

Happy Hunting, Rummy
I hunted with one for 10 years and still have it. You can tell this guy has spent time in one as well. I don't use it much anymore because I rarely hunt all day but you can bow hunt very well out of one if you use it right. IMO I would always put it on a steep angle so it wouldn't stick out to far from the tree. You know you have it right when you have to use the last holes on the bowhunter adapter to get it level with for standing.....that’s the angle you want.

Also if you have a good back drop you can hunt a bit lower (20 ft) or so but if not you really need to get 25 which still isn't too bad for the shot angles for bow hunting. I use to have a 25 ft rope and I would attach it to my bow and when I felt the bow come off the ground I knew I was at the right height to use it.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I've got one, it's the square aluminum type with the bowhunter adapter, used it last fall once, but didn't really feel to comfortable standing on the platform and being 300#'s.....So I put it on a tree outside my shop and just go stand on the platform every once in a while, I was so concerned about my weight on that platform , that I asked my little 480# brother to stand on it, he did, bounced up and down on it, moved all around too and yes it moves a bit but it never made a peep, crack, or squeek......I bought it used off a pro baseball player and never got the instruction manual......so I do have a question.... it has a waist belt attached to it that looks factory.... Is that for stability while leaning?..and is it safe to use?, it looks in very good condition.......Thanks,Steve

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Sometime in the 90's they started putting a safety strap on them. Mine is older than that so I can't really say for sure.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
good stands if u have time! Ill never forget the phrase from the HUNTING MOONSHINE ISLAND video..the old mans asks ARE U AFRAID OF ALLIGATORS...just reallly funny..have to see it to understand..hahha

·
Born yank raised south
17,245 Posts
Great made stands but a little hard to set up,bulky, and the length is an issue when packing in and out of the thick swamps I hunt. I set mine up on a place where 4 trails come together and leave it there locked to the tree all season. Most comfortable climber I own. I use my Summit 180 max for packing in and out. Not quite as comfortable but a better stand to pack in and out.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I owned one. It took 3 men and a boy to haul that thing out in the woods. Mine had the bowhunter adapter, and that thing scared me to death. It sat so far out from the tree and it bounced if you breathed wrong. The stand itself was very solid, well made, and very comfortable. Way too heavy for my tastes.
Dan

1 - 20 of 42 Posts