Archery Talk Forum banner

Any orthopedic surgeons on here? (shoulder question)

654 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Caligater
Hi there. Let me give you a little background. I shot a LOT from about 1993-2001. Once I graduated college and started working and then going to grad school, archery took a back seat. Then in the summer of 07, I tore my bicep where it attaches to my shoulder and it took a LONG time to get to a point where I didn't notice the pain any more. I went to an ortho several times and he prescribed me some good anti-inflammatory meds and we basically decided to just let it heal on its own.

I have been doing REALLY good and started back into archery in the summer of 08 and had no problems with the shoulder. Well, I started working out again a few weeks ago, and also got a Wii for Valentines day, and since then the shoulder has been bothering me again. Not in a lot of pain like the first time, but definitely enough discomfort to give concern. Well, I stone cold stopped working out and playing Wii games that use my shoulder, but I there is NO WAY I can stop shooting, it's in my blood.

I am going to visit the Dr. again ASAP, but do you think I should get a cortisone shot and take it easy for a while (not shoot), or lighten up the poundage of my bow and keep shooting it a little at a time? I am really scared that I will do permanent damage and take me away from shooting for a long time, so I am willing to do whatever is best for my long term health.

The real kicker is that there are a lot of 3D shoots coming up I want to go to, but I am afraid that I might mess up the shoulder shooting in them. :sad:

I welcome any advice.

Thanks,

Jeff
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,466 Posts
hjmmmmm

I'd say give it about a week or 2 off and see how it feels my uncle tore his rot. cuff and won't say outta the gym and he feels about how you do...... LET IT HEAL!!! lol i did the same thing w/ my knee except it was turkey season....lol

am I a dr ????? no but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night...... LOL :darkbeer::darkbeer:

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I scheduled an appointment to see the Dr. on Thursday, so we'll see he says.

· Registered
81 Posts
being a chiropractor for a tonne of \university sports teams this is a common injury that we see in a lot of hockey players. Find a Chiropractor that does ART ( active release technique) ........ this should take it to about 90 - 95 percent . Then go with a Cort shot to take it to 100%. This is a fairly standard procedure in our office ....... there is also some rehab that you will get to do to ensure that this never happens again.

GH29............... pm me if you have any more questions

· Registered
199 Posts
Rest, Aleve(Naproxen) and heat. Worked well on my shoulder problem.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got back from the Dr. and they x-rayed it and there were a couple rough spots in the shoulder but it looked pretty good. He gave me a cortisone shot and advised me to take it easy for 3 weeks with an ice/ibuprofen regiment. I will follow up with him then and see how its doing. I have quit lifting and shooting and wont be lifting again any time soon and wont shoot for 3 weeks. I want to make sure I can continue shooting for many years to come and will do whatever I can to ensure that.

· Registered
846 Posts
I have had shoulder surgery twice in the last 2 years. Rotator cuff, AC joint and had my clavicle cut back. Make sure you go to an orthopedic doc. An x-ray isn't going to show anything with the muscle. You need to have an MRI to make sure everything is ok and they don't always show everything. My first surgery the MRI didn't show the tear and I had a severe tear in 2 of the muscles of the rotator. Better to be safe than sorry. Go to an ortho doc !!!!!!

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had shoulder surgery twice in the last 2 years. Rotator cuff, AC joint and had my clavicle cut back. Make sure you go to an orthopedic doc. An x-ray isn't going to show anything with the muscle. You need to have an MRI to make sure everything is ok and they don't always show everything. My first surgery the MRI didn't show the tear and I had a severe tear in 2 of the muscles of the rotator. Better to be safe than sorry. Go to an ortho doc !!!!!!
I am going to an Orthopedic doctor. He took the x-ray to check the joint bone quality to make sure there weren't any spurs. If I don't see any improvements in the next 3 weeks, then we'll have the MRI done at that time.

How long after your surgery were you unable to shoot your bow?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.