Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Maine bowhunter and Target shooter, Maine checks in !

·
Registered
5 Posts
maine hunter

I hunted Bear this fall in Maine with Oxbow Lodge. Had a great time, but no Bear. Love the State of Maine, but it is sure hard for a guy out of state to find the so called cheap Lobster.

Take Care,

6by6

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I hunted Bear this fall in Maine with Oxbow Lodge. Had a great time, but no Bear. Love the State of Maine, but it is sure hard for a guy out of state to find the so called cheap Lobster.

Take Care,

6by6
I am a lobster Fisherman, you have to go to the source for a good deal!

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I like the two posts you put up on how hard it is to hunt in Maine. The true test to hunting challenges. I have been lucky My father was a Maine Guide for over 30 years and a really knowledgable hunter, He taught me alot about the Maine woods and about the deer that reside in it! My Father has passed on now, but his teachings have lived on in me, and I have been very successful in the Maine woods, I get my deer every year! I hunt in Central as well as Coastal Maine. Mostly bowhunt!

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
well, would you be willing to send me some? It is 20 below out right now so sending them by Big Brown should be ok. Let me know, by pm to work out the details.

Take Care,

6by6
Of course i would be willing to send you some!

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Maine archers for 3D

Is there any Maine archers that shoot central or southern maine 3D shoots in the spring and summer?

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
central Maine is droping shoots this year!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Are there any other Maine hunters that visit AT.
I have property in woodville,ME.and chester ME.the hunting up there is just about done!you can walk for days and not find a track!chester is a little over 50 square miles and the general store only tagged 16 deer for the season!now there is 18 zones with no doe tags and you can't even shoot does during archery season.if we have another hard winter I don't think the herd will recover for at least 10 years!

·
Registered
30 Posts
regarding the rough deer season

Hay guys and gal, checking in from eastern Maine (bangor area).. Talking to a game warden friend of mine, he told me he thinks if we have another hard winter like last year, they may suspend hunting in eastern and northern maine for a couple years. Jay

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
There is alot of deer down east! down on the coast of maine! Lots of bear too!

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Looks like central Maine 3D shoots are slowly falling apart! Numbers of shooters has droped alot! what is the reason? economics, politics? Attitudes? Clubs are disapearing. Maybe there all going south?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Looks like central Maine 3D shoots are slowly falling apart! Numbers of shooters has droped alot! what is the reason? economics, politics? Attitudes? Clubs are disapearing. Maybe there all going south?
I think it is a combination of things.

1. No updated website.
For people like myself with a busy job, 2 young kids, no shop within 30 minutes of me... it is hard to get the shoot schedule and directions unless it is online. Some of the courses are pretty hard to find.

2. Expense.
With not even a practice 3d course less than an hour from me, it gets expensive to just drive to practice shooting. Then there are the occasional robin hoods, the course fee. Not even counting the actual event expenses.

3. Lack of availability to practice.
See #2 above. Yea, I can shoot stumps or tennis balls, but the chance to really practice are far and few between. Making the chance to make a good showing at a shoot more difficult.

4. Social atmosphere is gone.
I remember going to some shoots with my dad as a kid 20 years ago. It was like a tailgate atmosphere (without the drinking) as people made shoots a social event. I went to some shoots over the last few years and it was more of an assembly line. People showed up, ran the course. If they thought they were top 5 they stayed, if not they left.

5. Rules
Some got annoyed at "bowhunter" class bows shooting super fat arrows and other 'little' things that did not seem like 'field equipment'. A LOT of people were shooting their straight up bowhunting rigs and would not bring 4" vanes to be 'legal' so they just shot with blazers and left. I think only my family placed top 5 shooting their hunting bows right out of the field. The others placing were shooting bows switched over to 3D, even if technically following the rules. This one is a hard fix I know and has no real answer. How do you 'prove' that a hunter is not using a back tension release in the field?

6. Less Hunters/Archers
In Maine, I've seen less people hunting. Some of due to urbanization. Some is due to tough work schedules. Those that are still getting out there are much more casual than in past years. A lot less scouting, more going out of State where it is easy to bag game in a day than see one deer a whole season.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I think it is a combination of things.

1. No updated website.
For people like myself with a busy job, 2 young kids, no shop within 30 minutes of me... it is hard to get the shoot schedule and directions unless it is online. Some of the courses are pretty hard to find.

2. Expense.
With not even a practice 3d course less than an hour from me, it gets expensive to just drive to practice shooting. Then there are the occasional robin hoods, the course fee. Not even counting the actual event expenses.

3. Lack of availability to practice.
See #2 above. Yea, I can shoot stumps or tennis balls, but the chance to really practice are far and few between. Making the chance to make a good showing at a shoot more difficult.

4. Social atmosphere is gone.
I remember going to some shoots with my dad as a kid 20 years ago. It was like a tailgate atmosphere (without the drinking) as people made shoots a social event. I went to some shoots over the last few years and it was more of an assembly line. People showed up, ran the course. If they thought they were top 5 they stayed, if not they left.

5. Rules
Some got annoyed at "bowhunter" class bows shooting super fat arrows and other 'little' things that did not seem like 'field equipment'. A LOT of people were shooting their straight up bowhunting rigs and would not bring 4" vanes to be 'legal' so they just shot with blazers and left. I think only my family placed top 5 shooting their hunting bows right out of the field. The others placing were shooting bows switched over to 3D, even if technically following the rules. This one is a hard fix I know and has no real answer. How do you 'prove' that a hunter is not using a back tension release in the field?

6. Less Hunters/Archers
In Maine, I've seen less people hunting. Some of due to urbanization. Some is due to tough work schedules. Those that are still getting out there are much more casual than in past years. A lot less scouting, more going out of State where it is easy to bag game in a day than see one deer a whole season.
Well Said Shawn

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Well Said Shawn
I agree with all this! but the problem is too that they at Central Maine shoots (clubs) do not follow the IBO rules, they have there own and that can change on any givin shoot!

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Maine 3D shooters is there anyone else out there that is gonna do Southern or central maine shoots? or out of state shoots?

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.