Archery Talk Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
HELLO, I AM FROM CENTRAL MAINE. GOING TO A SHOOT THE 19th AT LAKESIDE ARCHERY IN N. YARMOUTH COME DOWN.
I won that shoot!

·
Registered
4,044 Posts

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
attention! Looking for more maine bowhunters and target shooters to join the thread!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Evening everyone.

Dover Foxcroft shooter checking in ........just joined the site , just getting back into bows after a 5 year hiatus .

Just picked up an 05' Mathews LX from a co-worker and plan on practicing as much as I can , when I can.

I love this state and cant believe I ever lived anywhere else...God bless us Maine-iacs :shade:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Checking in from the Newport area. I am originally an Iowa boy that married a girl from Corinna.

As for the 3D shoots, I would like to get into this or inside shooting though don't have much experience nor do I know where to go. I refuse to go to old town as I got screwed on a bad string and don't much care for the arrogant attitude at the shop. The prices are pretty steep as well. I want to support the locals though don't want to get robbed doing it.

Look forward to getting info on shoots.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Checking in from the Newport area. I am originally an Iowa boy that married a girl from Corinna.

As for the 3D shoots, I would like to get into this or inside shooting though don't have much experience nor do I know where to go. I refuse to go to old town as I got screwed on a bad string and don't much care for the arrogant attitude at the shop. The prices are pretty steep as well. I want to support the locals though don't want to get robbed doing it.

Look forward to getting info on shoots.
I sent you a pm! I am more then willing to help you get started shooting 3D here in Maine. This is the schedule from last 3D season. http://www.maineweb.com/archery/archery1.htm

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Evening everyone.

Dover Foxcroft shooter checking in ........just joined the site , just getting back into bows after a 5 year hiatus .

Just picked up an 05' Mathews LX from a co-worker and plan on practicing as much as I can , when I can.

I love this state and cant believe I ever lived anywhere else...God bless us Maine-iacs :shade:
welcome !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hows the hunting in TN compared to here in Maine?
Well it has been 26 years since hunting in Maine so...

Deer are smaller but still some good bucks rack wise. Big does are about 100-120 lbs and bucks 160-200lbs(field-dressed). The main difference would be length of season, number of deer and the number you can take. Bow season is about 4 months long here where I am at. Too many deer!!! I think you could take like 108 deer(3 bucks out of that) if you took every deer possible by season break-down. Oh and even more turkey if you are into that. I could take 6 Toms a year if I wanted/lucky enough too. The only downside to me, No bear or grouse where I am at.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Well it has been 26 years since hunting in Maine so...

Bow season is about 4 months long here where I am at. Too many deer!!! I think you could take like 108 deer(3 bucks out of that) if you took every deer possible by season break-down. Oh and even more turkey if you are into that. I could take 6 Toms a year if I wanted/lucky enough too. The only downside to me, No bear or grouse where I am at.

WOW! hehe, thats alot. Black Bear hunting is alot of fun. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi from the Midcoast. Got my first bow a few weeks ago. Wanted to hunt more. Are there any shops within an hour of Bath that know their stuff and are eager to share some wisdom? I want my bow setup and tuned, but also want to see how its done. Thanks

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Hi from the Midcoast. Got my first bow a few weeks ago. Wanted to hunt more. Are there any shops within an hour of Bath that know their stuff and are eager to share some wisdom? I want my bow setup and tuned, but also want to see how its done. Thanks
Comon down to Stonington, ME not far from bath and its on the coast! I will get you set up and shooting bullet holes!

·
Registered
16,782 Posts

This place is very good, in Gray Maine right off of the turnpike exit, stop by and check them out. http://www.howellsgunandarchery.com/archery.htm

·
Registered
4,044 Posts

·
www.paramadness.com
2,803 Posts
I think it is a combination of things.

1. No updated website.
For people like myself with a busy job, 2 young kids, no shop within 30 minutes of me... it is hard to get the shoot schedule and directions unless it is online. Some of the courses are pretty hard to find.

2. Expense.
With not even a practice 3d course less than an hour from me, it gets expensive to just drive to practice shooting. Then there are the occasional robin hoods, the course fee. Not even counting the actual event expenses.

3. Lack of availability to practice.
See #2 above. Yea, I can shoot stumps or tennis balls, but the chance to really practice are far and few between. Making the chance to make a good showing at a shoot more difficult.

4. Social atmosphere is gone.
I remember going to some shoots with my dad as a kid 20 years ago. It was like a tailgate atmosphere (without the drinking) as people made shoots a social event. I went to some shoots over the last few years and it was more of an assembly line. People showed up, ran the course. If they thought they were top 5 they stayed, if not they left.

5. Rules
Some got annoyed at "bowhunter" class bows shooting super fat arrows and other 'little' things that did not seem like 'field equipment'. A LOT of people were shooting their straight up bowhunting rigs and would not bring 4" vanes to be 'legal' so they just shot with blazers and left. I think only my family placed top 5 shooting their hunting bows right out of the field. The others placing were shooting bows switched over to 3D, even if technically following the rules. This one is a hard fix I know and has no real answer. How do you 'prove' that a hunter is not using a back tension release in the field?

6. Less Hunters/Archers
In Maine, I've seen less people hunting. Some of due to urbanization. Some is due to tough work schedules. Those that are still getting out there are much more casual than in past years. A lot less scouting, more going out of State where it is easy to bag game in a day than see one deer a whole season.
you should come to one of the traditional shoots in Maine they are usually a 2 day shoot and the Poke & Hope Rendezvous, wow thats is a blast vendors and cookouts camping space, probably the best fun i have ever had at a shoot since the early nineties and family atmosphere X10 bows to try out prizes PM me for any info

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
you should come to one of the traditional shoots in Maine they are usually a 2 day shoot and the Poke & Hope Rendezvous, wow thats is a blast vendors and cookouts camping space, probably the best fun i have ever had at a shoot since the early nineties and family atmosphere X10 bows to try out prizes PM me for any info

Interesting :thumbs_up

61 - 80 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.