Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is wanting a new camera for, heck i dont know what its for really i guess just because. Anyway she found a Sony Alpha A350 14.2 MP for $800 and I dont know anything about cameras so I was wondering if this is a good one or not. She only uses it for birthdays and holidays and things like this, to me $800 is a lot of money for what she uses it for but if she wants it Ill buy it for her if the camera is worth it. They also have a Cannon EOS Rebel ESi 12.2 MP for about the same price, which is the best camera. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
My wife is wanting a new camera for, heck i dont know what its for really i guess just because. Anyway she found a Sony Alpha A350 14.2 MP for $800 and I dont know anything about cameras so I was wondering if this is a good one or not. She only uses it for birthdays and holidays and things like this, to me $800 is a lot of money for what she uses it for but if she wants it Ill buy it for her if the camera is worth it. They also have a Cannon EOS Rebel ESi 12.2 MP for about the same price, which is the best camera. Thanks in advance.
Im a Nikon Guy, but if I had the choice between those 2, I would go with the proven, with a much larger choice of lenses.
Canon XSI.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
I agree with elkman of those two I'd choose the Canon.........BUT why only those two. Does she really need/want an SLR? Does she know what an SLR is?

There are alot of excellent choices for far less $$. Also you might want to check online. I bought mine from a vender on Amazon.com for about $150 less than I could get it locally.

Here's some examples of excellent deals on a great cameras for less than 1/2 of what you are looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ-18-kit/lm/R2VHQRQ8ZVOWB0

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-sh..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1GWJV3XQT0ZDY9EZR9Y4

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybersho..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Q4J3FD7EJB9D5BF1Y40

· Registered
1,591 Posts
Same as Elkman, I'm a Nikon guy but between the two you listed Cannon. But if your wife really only uses the camera for what you say and isn't interested in expanding her photography, a point and shoot would be the better choice, IMHO.

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest the only reason she wants it is because of the flip out screen, would a point and shoot, whatever that is take better pictures? Or do you think this is just to much money for what she uses it for? To I would like to have a camera that would just take good pictures, real clear, eventhough we're not proffesionals. I will look at the Nikon and what exactly is a SLR?

· Registered
1,591 Posts
To be honest the only reason she wants it is because of the flip out screen, would a point and shoot, whatever that is take better pictures? Or do you think this is just to much money for what she uses it for? To I would like to have a camera that would just take good pictures, real clear, eventhough we're not proffesionals. I will look at the Nikon and what exactly is a SLR?
If it is a flip out screen she wants, there are lots of cameras that can do that. An SLR camera is a Single Lens Reflect camera and a DSLR is a Digital SLR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dslr). Personally, I think it is too much money for what she wants to use it for. A point and shoot is a compact camera designed for simple use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_and_shoot). Point and shoots dominante the market and are pretty much what everybody has. Any quality point and shoot will take great pictures. You can read all kinds of reviews here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm

· Registered
38,292 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a DSLR if you don't have a specific need. While they are the top of the line, take fabulous lenses and have less shutter lag than lower end ordinary digital cameras. But even my little pocket CanonSD450 takes pretty darn good pictures--not as good as a DSLR. The camera you take with you will always take better photos than the bulky camera that you don't take with you--and if there is one other feature DSLRs all have in common it is that they are huge. I can't count the number of photos I missed because I didn't have my SLR with me.

Another good review site is http://www.dpreview.com/

· Registered
443 Posts
Camera Help?

I am not a professional photographer by no means, I currently own a Canon Powershot SD 8.0 megapixel. I have a small business and a nine month old son and would like to take some quality pictures for the company and of my son to post on a few websites my wife and I have. I was given some information today about the SRL's? (I may even have that wrong!!!) and I would like some very nice but that is more automatic than manual with the white background changes etc. I would rather not have to set it the way it should be, rather the camera do it for me! if that helps. Price is not a big deal since I am looking for something that does the manual part for me. Please let me know your opinions. I was told today that the Sony is more manual base than say the Canon!

Thanks,

· Registered
1,591 Posts
I am not a professional photographer by no means, I currently own a Canon Powershot SD 8.0 megapixel. I have a small business and a nine month old son and would like to take some quality pictures for the company and of my son to post on a few websites my wife and I have. I was given some information today about the SRL's? (I may even have that wrong!!!) and I would like some very nice but that is more automatic than manual with the white background changes etc. I would rather not have to set it the way it should be, rather the camera do it for me! if that helps. Price is not a big deal since I am looking for something that does the manual part for me. Please let me know your opinions. I was told today that the Sony is more manual base than say the Canon!

Thanks,
You can shoot any DSLR in full auto but if you want to make your photos better and help your creativity, you'll want to learn to how to control all the different modes.

· R.I.P.
29,187 Posts
You can get a much smaller Canon Powershot S5 IS with flip screen, or the upcoming SX10 IS for about half the price of the A350, and most people won't be able to tell the difference on paper between the two cameras if you print 4x6. No need to carry multiple lenses, and plenty of room to learn about photography. Then, if she feels she needs to go ahead, she can get a DSLR that will suit her needs.

The Sony body is ok, but the lenses seem to be unpredictable in terms of image quality. If she really wants a DSLR :rolleyes: go for the Canon

· Registered
1,591 Posts
You can get a much smaller Canon Powershot S5 IS with flip screen, or the upcoming SX10 IS for about half the price of the A350, and most people won't be able to tell the difference on paper between the two cameras if you print 4x6. No need to carry multiple lenses, and plenty of room to learn about photography. Then, if she feels she needs to go ahead, she can get a DSLR that will suit her needs.
That's great advice. I have played with numerous S3's and they are great cameras with the ability to go full manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.