Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an action camera that will work in the mild fall weather here in Pennsylvania. I have had a nightmare of a time dealing with GoPro for the past 2 years as they would not work with me on a faulty camera that I received. I won't get into all of the details but I tried every troubleshooting option they suggested multiple times. I know a lot of people have had success with GoPro but I'm unfortunately not one of those people. And a quick search online shows that I'm not the only one that has had trouble with recording in cool (not cold) temperatures. Basically it would not turn on if the temp was under 50 degrees Farenheit.

So I'm wondering if any has had any luck using another brand like Spypoint perhaps in temperatures that range from 25 - 50 degrees Farenheit. Again, I know that there will be a lot of people in favor of GoPro, but I am a little gunshy now and am just looking for some alternatives. I'm mainly looking for something that I can mount on my head and isn't too bulky.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tactacam has an awesome action camera, check them out!
https://www.tactacam.com/
I like the look of the tactacam but I was wondering if it was possible to wear it on your head. It looks kind of long so that could be tricky. I really like head mounts because it seems easier to get stealthy videos by just turning your head, rather than having to move your bow around if it's mounted in the stabilizer position.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I like the look of the tactacam but I was wondering if it was possible to wear it on your head. It looks kind of long so that could be tricky. I really like head mounts because it seems easier to get stealthy videos by just turning your head, rather than having to move your bow around if it's mounted in the stabilizer position.
I wear mine using a scope ring like attachment screwed through the bill of my hat. Have gotten some really good footage while bowfishing. You just have to get the angle just right though due to the narrow field of view.

Sample Video:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Some of those are way cheaper than I was expecting. That would be nice to find something that was compatible with the gopro mounts since I have a ton of them that I was hoping to be able to use.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SJ cam is the way to go. Cheap and compatible with go pro mounts. Check out ebay/Aliexpress/Amazon

Brad
PSE Rogue X with Chinese knock off Hypodermics
Do you by chance know if the GoPro batteries will work with this camera? Or do they use their own proprietary style?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I was in your position early this summer I needed for my kayaks and SUP boards, my son have a sony actioncam but not enough attachments so I had to pull a plug for something wide open kit.
Just look around, tons of camera's in sub $100 and most coming with a full bag of attachments, the plastic parts look very similar to gopro but you need them in your hands to see how can you mix and match...gopro is a most copied/cloned brand and most likely all will fit or very close

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
Tagged camera

1 - 20 of 36 Posts