Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually just pack up, and, leave the outdoor range when the wind gusts get to frustrating to deal with....I hate donating even one arrow to the field beyond the bales at 60-80 yards..so, besides slightly "canting" the top of the bow towards the wind direction, anyone have any thoughts on this topic? :dontknow:

· Registered
366 Posts
Wind

Move to Wyoming. You get plenty of practice in the wind. I think we have more windy days than calm days throughout the year. :shade:

· Registered
5,525 Posts
You should practice in the wind, so when you go to a shoot you will have some ideas of what to do. AC

· Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, experience will end up being the key to it all, I just can't get enough, fast enough...even shootin' everyday, but, I shoot much better this year, than I did at this time last year! :D

So...what do the folks that put on a shoot do when the big day rolls around, and, extremely windy conditions exist? :dontknow:

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Tipping you top limb into the wind will make the arrow shoot into it. I won a big 900 round tournament using this once. I use my bubble to know how much. Tipping the your limb say to the right will make the arrow hit to the right and a little low and you don't haft to aim off the target just aim right at it. Go out side and try it. You see how it works and practice it to know how much in deferent wind speeds wind. I was ask to shoot a tournament once on top of Medicine Bull National Park near Laramie and got 2 nd place shooting in the wind and used the level thing. The guy who won it was from Wyoming and had me down 30 point the first day. The second day the top four archers shot together and I got with in one point of him. I can't remember how many 3 D's we shot each day, but it was a lot like 60 each day. It was a Budweiser Shoot

· Registered
568 Posts
You should practice in the wind, so when you go to a shoot you will have some ideas of what to do. AC
:)AC the way my bow moves around it looks like I'm shooting in the wind ALL the time:eek:
Terry

· Registered
34,432 Posts
Yeah, experience will end up being the key to it all, I just can't get enough, fast enough...even shootin' everyday, but, I shoot much better this year, than I did at this time last year! :D

So...what do the folks that put on a shoot do when the big day rolls around, and, extremely windy conditions exist? :dontknow:
Just let em eat. :D

The range I practice on is in the wide open....and being that it's right off the river it is usually VERY windy in the afternoon/evening. I don't really try and do anything different other then read the wind so that I am shooting between the huge gust. But I don't can't much at all....I just off a tad bit and let the Nano's do their job :D

and I don't go to a thumb trigger either.....I will shoot more aggressive but I don't change what I do on a normal day of shooting. One round in the wind isn't worth it to me.

when a "big day" rolls around and it's windy....I don't worry about it. Everyone else has to deal with it also.

watch some FITA from last year on YouTube.....that is wind.:eek:

· Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotcha, and, thanks for the replies y'all...it sounds like it's a "just deal with it, and, adapt to it" type of thing...I can, and, will do that...'cause, if I ain't shootin', I ain't becoming the archer I know I'm goin' to be...someday! ;)

· Registered
345 Posts
. . .Just let em eat. :D . . .I don't really try and do anything different other then read the wind so that I am shooting between the huge gust . . .I just off a tad bit and let the Nano's do their job :D
When Treaton came out here I got to witness 1st hand what skinnies can do in the wind. I saw my arrows (fatties) drifting 6 or more inches off center over 40 yards. But Treaton was shooting skinnies and his were virtually uneffected by the wind. Maybe a little drift, but NOTHING like mine.

I would say just go with a skinny arrow (Nanos or the like), and try to read the wind as best you can. . .but don't over-compansate. Do what you normally do.

Excellent advice Hornet!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.