Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my first year bowhunting, and I'm needing some pointers on tree stand hunting. I heard it's a lot different than shooting at a target from the ground. Any pointers would be dearly appreciated, "Don't want the big one to get away">

·
74,535 Posts
Get yourself in a tree

and practice. Best thing to do is practice. You will have tendacies to shoot high. Place target at different distances and get to know your bow and how it shoots.

Remeber when shooting from elavation to bend at waist to keep body in line with bow.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Dont Fall Out!:D :D :D :D

Oh BTW
Darn Good to see ya DB

·
Registered
236 Posts
Its simple....pay attention to your surroundings, make sure there are no branches in your way, make sure the stand is secure and you put your restraint towards your back...Dont be afraid, it may seem like you are going to fall but trust me, if you just stand up and shoot you will be fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That was the best addict...
but seriously, when you actually get in that stand, make sure you are prepared for what happens so that you are READY to go when that moment comes. Alot of people hang their bow on a hook...I personally have it in my hand all the time. One less move!!!! Then keep calm and do all the things you have been hopefully practicing. Move slow and think about what you are doing every move........be QUIET...THEN PICK A SPOT!!!

·
Banned
843 Posts
Wear a safety belt. Try shooting in a lawn chair at targets 1st get comfortable with that and then get up in the stand and try shootin 20 and 30 yds.

·
redman
7,910 Posts
tips

i make sure my draw lenth is on the shot side when shooting out of tree stand my hunting bow is a half inch shorter draw for shooting out of tree stand makes for better back tension

·
Registered
252 Posts
Like D.B. said make sure you practice from the height that you will be shooting from. When I set my stands I carry a string with a nut tied to one end. The string is 25ft long which is the height I try to set my treestands. On my climber stand I have a retractable rope that is 25ft. long. I set my pins at that height and laser range from that height to get my yardage set. That way when I'm in my hunting stands I can range different objects to get my yardages. This way if a deer walks by a tree that I ranged from my stand to be 20yrds, then all I have to do is put my 20yrd pin on her and shoot with confidence. Set your stands up in accordance to what is the prodominate wind direction for your area and the travel direction you have figured out for the deer you hunt. I take a compass with me when setting up my stands and when I go hunting. I sometimes even set up more than 1 stand in a area, or pick out a tree to use my climber on if the wind is blowing in a different than planned direction. When picking a spot for you stand, try to set it were your outline will be broken up. If setting up for a field that they feed in, try to find where they enter at and set up 20-30yrds into the woods along the path. Try to give yourself 1 shooting lane for that buck walking along the edgeline of the field. If you can set up so that the sun will be to your back, thats also a advantage. ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE A FULL BODY SAFTY HARNESS WHEN SETTING UP AND WHEN HUNTING FROM YOUR STAND!!!!!! If you research this site for hunting accidents or bad hunting incidents I'm sure alot of stories can be found. There is alot more helpful tips out there, hope mine help fill a tag safely. Good luck and God bless. :D

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
everyone has covered just about the whole gamet of what you need to do when your in a treestand. the one thing i could add is when your shooting from a treestand to remember to bend at the waist so your shot will be more in tune to your anchor. if you bend at the waist your anchor will be consistant and the only way to do that is to get up in a stand and practice. also if you have your doubts place markers of some kind out in front of your yardages and practice your shot from draw till you bend at the waist and i have learned if you bend at the waist your shot is much truer than if your trying to just lower the bow
good luck and hope to hear about your success this year
rob k

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bend at the waist! That's probably the biggest hangup people have when shooting any up, or downward angled shots.

Another issue I haven't seen here yet is shot placement. You'll want your arrow to enter the animal a little higher than you were if you were shooting from the ground. You'll have to aim higher if the animal is closer, or higher if you're sitting way up there in a stand. As the angle to the animal decreases, you don't have to aim as high. Just like quartering shots, draw a line that your arrow will take. You want to hit both lungs. Aim high enough to let the shot go in a little high, and enter a little low, while never getting outside the lungs. If it's a real steep angle, you might have to slip in in just at the very top of the lungs, and let it pass through to the bottom of the lungs on the other side.
Shoot a 3-D target for a while. It helps a lot.

It's really quite easy after you do it a couple times. Good luck!

peashooter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts