Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been practicing hard for 2-3 months now and I can honestly say that around 15 yards a bow in my hand can actually be lethal. Looking on the couch at my best buddy, I know my normal season of chasing grouse with her will be a bust, she's just too old. So, what interests me is shooting a turkey trad.

I've been steered toward the blind - but it just doesn't seem right to me. I would be much more satisfied in the woods with a call and my back to a tree. My question is, is that reasonable? How do you guys that have taken turkey trad style done it?

Also, any advice on calls. Is it too late to practice now - season open Oct 1 here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
90 Percent +/-

Ben Lee, I believe said that if arrow stays in the bird he has a 90% chance of recovering the bird and if the arrow passes through he has a 90% chance of loosing the bird. The video I'm reffering to is old and while I can't remember the name I've never forgotten the advice.........Also the guy that has the moon phase hunting book/videos (Moonstruck) is hunting from a blind while arrowing a bird and I watched him give chase to a bird after arrowing and he didn't make the most expediant exit......it seems like he is gone a long time before returning with the bird...I would hate to think a bird got away while I was trying to get out of my blind...........Kiotee42

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kiotee42, I was thinking of using a Zwickey Scorpio behind a two blade broadhead. Doesn't sound right though, I wouldn't hit the vitals would I?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
If you want to be successful remember these things.

Turkeys depend on their vision and multiple eyes for defense. So at 15 yards without some form of cover you are toast when you draw more times than not.

Hunt feed and mast, you can try feeding clucks and purrs, I just leave the calls at home this time of year.

A large heavy broadhead, many guys only sharpen the back third so the arrow stays in the bird. Its also not a bad choice to use a chisel point head. Turkeys are pretty tough, so unless you have good enough skills to make a head shot, you want to do massive internal damage and keep the arrow in them if you can.

Good luck, the birds are a blast.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks vermonster13, that's some great advice. I'll forego the calls until spring and look into cover (can't build a blind, it's public property). I'm not really into spending $300 for a double-bull, any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Check the army/navy surplus for camo netting or wal-mart for the camo burlap. The stuff weighs nothing and costs very little. Instant blind.

·
Registered
987 Posts
flyer..this is a method that is really overlooked and works great.i've done it at least a dozen times in the fall and it has worked every time.......find a flock of birds....bring your dog with you. in NY this is legal.when you spot a flock, let your dog tear through it. splitting the flock in half.........then go put your dog away. return within 5-10 minutes. set up in a loaction around 100 yards away from where yousplit the flock..and start calling softly like a lonely hen..throw in a few Kee-Kee runs in there to sound liek a lost jake........this is a sure way to get a nice big hen in .

·
Registered
770 Posts
A Tree stand

I love to hunt deer from a natural ground blind [elevated a little and with some natural materials from arround the area moved into place]. That works well for me here in Oklahoma. "BUT" try that with a bunch of Turkeys and the second you move an inch, they are gone! Try to position yourself about 10 feet or so up in a tree. You can still call from there. Good hunting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In the fall hunt from a treestand, be very still, let the flock feed by you and shoot the last one. In the spring, use a decoy. I have been lucky enough to have killed a few, only one large gobler. They just see too good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the replies.

vermonster13, I'll try the netting idea. Some paracord and I think I'll be good to go.

jgbennett6, that's certainly interesting. My only problem with it is getting my dog to shut up after I get her all wound up and/or tearing up my new truck :grin: . But definitely worth a try.

Okie1bow, my original plan was to try a tree stand, but everyone I talked to locally said it just isn't done - don't really know why. Might give that a try after all else fails, but I don't deer hunt at all so it'd be wasted if it didn't work. Doing that without a stand is probably out of my league right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts