Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to buy a good saddle for guiding and im new to the horse thing because my parents wouldnt move back to the ranch so im stuck 5 min away from town limits where i could own a horse so i know very little about what saddle id need to riding into the back country.
Anyone know what i need? I know its gotta be a western style (dur) but is there a special saddle just for long rides that i should look for?

·
Registered
854 Posts
AJ, I would look at a Winn Tech saddle. They are very good and are made from sinthetic leather, which is nice when it starts to rain. They are very light and they cost less than an all leather western saddle.

You may get a few people that look at you kind of funny for buying a Winn Tech But for cost, wieght and maintenance they are a good way to go.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
AJ,

It really depends on what you intend to use the saddle for. If guiding is the only thing then you might look at an endurance saddle - the type that is used for cross country endurance rides. They are usually fairly light and comfortable. If you intend to use your horse for anything other than guiding you might look at a good all around ranch saddle. These are pretty versitle and can be even used for light roping.

But don't forget about a breast collar and back girth if you are going to ride through fairly rough terrain. These will help keep the saddle in place.

Everyone has an opinion on what to use but it all comes down to two main things - personal preferance and comfort. Now that's not just comfort for you - don't forget about your buddy who is lugging you around! Make sure the saddle fits your mount correctly and you have good saddle pads.

Brands of saddle's are like anything else, you need to buy for quality and not the name. A good saddle can be handed down to your grandkids if it's taken care of. Make sure it has a good solid tree and is put together well.

Shop around at your local saddle shops. And ask questions. Don't worry about not knowing it all - no one does. But we all know how cowboys love to talk, you might learn something important - like what NOT to do.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Jamie (JF's wife)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts