Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my 80 pound allegiance for about 2 months now, and over half of that time it has been in the shop and back to bowtech for cracked limbs. The third set cracked today, and I've had it. I have asked for a refund. Has anybody else had problems, or did I just get a lemon? Its too bad, because I really like the way this bow shoots. Smooth, fast, quiet, and accurate. I've just lost all confidence that it is going to stay together.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
My bow shop Pro showed me what happened to his Allegiance Target Bow.

There is a black, I think it is made of polycarbonate, "rocker" that the limbs pivot on when you loosen or tighten the limb bolts. The rocker is about (3/4"L x 1'4" W x 3/16"D).

He told me that Bowtech has been specifying to their shops to replace these "rockers" with Bowtech's new ones. Apparently the PROBLEM is that the rockers are NOT EVENLY distributing the weight or loading of the limbs. Therefore, too much load or force is NOT evenly distributed across the width of the limbs, subsequently limb failures can be seen at these uneven load points.

In fact, he showed me his rockers he just replaced. You can see a "concave" near the center on the rockers.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
I am just repeating what I have heard. The allegiance needs to be pressed with a press which is compatable with parellel limb design. Some of the old presses maybe causing some of the limb failures. You may want to look at the press that your bow shop is using and decide for yourself if this is causing the problem. Also it is best to back off the limb bolts before pressing any bow IMO.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bowtecharch,

Thanks for the reply. This bow just came back from the factory about a week ago. Everything was replaced except for the cams, string, and riser. It has a lot of cam lean and/or limb twist at full draw, but looks pretty straight at brace. Any body else seeing alot of limb twist at full draw with their 80 pounders?

This really sucks, because the bow shoots so sweet.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jim p,

I thought about that. This bow has not been pressed since it came back from bow tech last week. Supposedly everything checked out ok, but I was not told if the riser was checked for straight or not. Since I've had this problem, my shop has now got a sure-loc press. Used to have an apple, which I think is a good press?

·
32,712 Posts
No problem at all with my Bowtech, course it will never see 70lbs much less 80lbs. Takes a heck of a man to pull back an 80lb bow, especially a Bowtech. I don't see how an arrow can stand that kind of strain.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rembrandt

I agree that there is a ton of energy there. I had to go to goldtip big game 100+ arrows. They have a spine rating of .280". This bow is shooting a 540 grain arrow at 285- 286 fps. Thats 97 ft. lbs of kinetic energy!! Anyway, I'm a big guy, 6'2" and about 280 lbs. The 80 pound draw is no problem for me and I actually can hold this bow steadier than any of my 70 pounders. I like to shoot heavy arrows, but like almost everyone else, I also like speed so I thought that I would try an 80# bow. Never dreamed I'd have this much trouble with one though.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I hear 'ya, I remember back in 1992, I hunted with my Jennings Carbon Extreme with this setup:

#84 @28" (limbs buried!)

29" 2419's

(3) 5" vanes, slight right offset

(1) NAP 160 grain Thunderhead

247 fps

I can't remember the arrow weight. I do remember an opening day Ohio doe I shot, though. 22 yards steeply quartering away, arrow entered 6" in front of her left rear leg, clipped the liver, sliced/then deflated her right lung, cut-off the top of her heart, put a clean 3-blade cut thru her sternum, and continued about 10 yards after exiting.

I know it was way overkill on the K.E., But hey, I was young and boy o' boy how I could pull those heavy bows back!! :smile: :beer: :D

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Crackers set up an 80# allegiance a while back. You may want to email him about it. Do a search there was another fellow too.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
I think I would have "limb" trouble with any 80# bow . . . but that would be my limbs! :eek:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grouse,

While I'd like to have a "crackerized" bow, I don't really have the time. Our antelope archery season starts in 13 days, with deer and elk starting on sept. 3rd. At this point I'm hoping that bowtech will refund my money so that I can just move on, and buy something else. I have sent an e-mail to them with my request, and will call cust. service Monday to talk to a rep.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
No, I wasn't suggesting you send it to crackers. Just thought you might see what he thought the problem might be. People say the pope has a direct line to god, well Crackers has a direct line to Bowtech and martin and can usually get som answers quick.

I'd really like to know what the problem is too.

BTW, I'd love to be hunting in August. You are blessed.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
grouse,

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I will send crackers an e-mail with the full details of my problems with this bow. I would really like to know what is going on. Have got no answers from either my dealer or bowtech. Maybe Mike is the man.

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
hunting addict said:
Grouse,

While I'd like to have a "crackerized" bow, I don't really have the time. Our antelope archery season starts in 13 days, with deer and elk starting on sept. 3rd. At this point I'm hoping that bowtech will refund my money so that I can just move on, and buy something else. I have sent an e-mail to them with my request, and will call cust. service Monday to talk to a rep.
Thirteen days used to be plenty of time to have your bow Crackerized. Course, that was back when none of you other fellers knew about it and before they called it "Crackerized". :cry: :)

Good luck with your bow and hopefully you can put the bad memories behind you when you tag a big 'ol antelope.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tried to e-mail crackers. Email would not go through. Anyway, I talked to bowtech today, and they are almost certain that the cause of this is the limb rockers. They said that even though the bow was just at the factory, it was probably put back together with the "old style" rockers. They have a rep coming to visit our shop on the 6th of august and he will be bringing me a new replacement bow with the new style rockers installed. My dealer also offered to trade for a new 80 pounder that he has in the shop, but I will go ahead and wait for the new one from the factory with the updated rockers. Bowtechs customer service thru this whole ordeal has been good, and the problems I've had with this bow will not keep me from buying a bowtech in the future. I just happened to get a bad one....I hope.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I should be getting my 80# Allegiance before the weekend.

Is there any way to know you have the right "rockers"?

It's an hour up to the bow shop, so I'd rather get it right the first time!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts