Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now that I am getting older, it doesnt happen so much, but I just wrecked a rabbit with my bow at 25 yds and it was really yelping. I am wondering if anyone else ever feels bad after killing something with their bow. Since I eat what I kill that makes me feel better but my neighbor wants me to manage his rabbits and squirrels and i dont eat them cause it is such a hassle and I know a cyote gets em every night after I kill em. What do you guys think.

· Registered
36,135 Posts
Ok, now that I am getting older, it doesnt happen so much, but I just wrecked a rabbit with my bow at 25 yds and it was really yelping. I am wondering if anyone else ever feels bad after killing something with their bow. Since I eat what I kill that makes me feel better but my neighbor wants me to manage his rabbits and squirrels and i dont eat them cause it is such a hassle and I know a cyote gets em every night after I kill em. What do you guys think.
I would rather watch rabbits and squirrels play then kill them.

Nope, never felt sad about killing a deer. But i also dont see anything wrong with having those emotions.

· Registered
348 Posts
That is...

the HUMAN in you. The respect for the animal and it's life.

I shot a deer once that bawled for a couple minutes, and it tore me up. Not enough to give up hunting though. Do not loose that respect for life and the game you hunt.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
Anybody Ever Feel Bad After a Kill?

only if its a long up hill climb afterward

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I think i would feel pretty bad also. For me, it doesn't have too much with getting older and heck your neighbor asked for your help. I think what would make me feel bad is knowing i just sent a $20 bill thru the air and only got a Rabbit.:wink:

· Trophy Nanny Hunter
2,449 Posts
I usually feel a little bit of remorse when I draw back on a deer knowing that if I do my job that animal's life is going to be over. But, it is usually short-lived and the excitement quickly follows.

I think it's human nature to feel a little bad about it.

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I mean when its a deer, I am really excited and I will feel bad here and there, but like stated, its not enough to stop hunting for sure. If I was with my friends I wouldnt have felt as bad though. I think its the fact that it took a few shots to finish it, and man do they yell loud!

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
This year.........

The doe I shot recently dropped and bawled. I'll spare the other details but I did feel remorse. I was teared up and wiping my eyes. I've shot probably close to 70 or more whitetails and it never hit me quite like that one.
I feel a responsibility when I enter the woods to treat wildlife with respect in all cases and situations.

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I feel that having a respect for the animal is a very big part of hunting. I cant stand when guys go out on opening day of Gun Season and just wanna BLAST! It bothers me. When I hunt or fly-fish, I try my hardest to allow the animals to have the least amount of pain...if that makes sense

· Registered
811 Posts
Yah..I shot a doe that jumped the string because it was spooked and knew i was there, i partially spined it.....it dropped right in its trackes but didnt die right off, i shot another arrow and didnt do the job as quick....so I took a log and dispatched it with that....better that then wounding and not recovering.

· Registered
2,477 Posts
I only feel bad if I could have made the kill quicker. If it's a good shot and the animal dies quickly, nothing but smiles :)

· Registered
354 Posts
sometimes

The thing that really ruined it for me is the way TV hunting shows trivialize the killing of an animal. The jumping around and fist pumping...these jerks just killed an animal and this is how they react? I guess since they're willing to prostitute such a private moment for a few dollars their reaction shouldn't surprise me.
After watching these type of public displays I really don't enjoy the killing part anymore.

· Registered
276 Posts
I've never felt bad yet. I have once in awhile stopped to think that I just took the life away from a living breathing animal. Never felt bad about it. One time my father (who has been hunting for 37 years mainly bow hunting) shot a doe with 2 fawn and he spined her. She hit the ground blating and making all kinds of noises. the fawns would bleat back to her and wouldnt leave her. My dad had to chase them away. He ssaid he felt alot of remorse that night and just wanted to get her cleaned up and outta the woods. Less than a week ago he shot a doe and never found her. I could see he was very upset and even had his eyes watering. I think Respect is a big part of hunting. You imo should respect the animal you hunt and offer the quickest painless death you can provide.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Well if your going to kill rabbits and squirrels I think you owe it to them to eat the meat. A hassle? Most rabbit and squirrel hunters can skin in a couple of minutes. Not to mention that you are probably wasting the cost of the arrow/head combo by winging them at small game.
Im not saying that you should not hunt them with a bow, but you need to be eating them in the eyes of the law. You are probably feeling bad because you are taking ther life without a good cause. Since you eat the deer, you should not feel bad, but thankful.

· Registered
5,756 Posts
My girlfriend did about two weeks ago when i spinal shot a deer. But she got over it.

I don't feel bad cause i eat the meat and because i don't think to highly of deer due to the fact i hit two deer (at seperate times) with a car and it cost me tons of money to fix it. Thats just me. hit one with your car and you might think otherwise.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.