Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know in a perfect ethical world your deer should not go far because we should hit them perfect. In reality Im sure everybody has had a bad hit weather it be with a firearm or with an arrow. I also know that deer (or other big game) are strong and people find them living with all sorts of injuries. But alot of bad hit animals die beyond our tracking beacause we lose blood or just cant find the game for what ever reason. Im wondering who has used a dog to find there deer that couldnt truley find it without it.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Several years ago I knew a guy that had a black lab that he had trained to trail deer. I put a bad hit on a deer and I have no doubt I would have probably lost it without the help of the dog.

·
Registered
549 Posts
ive used an irish setter that was a goofball little pup, most of the time. I put his nose in the first blood I found and he straightened up and kept his nose to the ground finding more and more blood. When the blood ran out he kept going in circles looking for more. After a few minutes of not finding more blood he started acting like the wild little pup again. Ill bet most hunting dog breeds might help.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How has arrow worked out so far?

Its illegal here in New Jersey as well. I was at the Qdma convention In Phildelphia in 2006 and bought a book about tracking dogs. Its pretty interesting. I actually have two minature Dachshunds. Turns out they would have been great if I started them young.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I had a mutt that acted like he couldn't follow a trail if he could see the deer. I shot a deer last year that started clotting up and the blood started getting sparce to say the least. So i turn the dog loose, and the next thing i know he shoots up the trail on his own, about five minutes later he comes back to me covered in blood. I put the leash on him and he walked me right to the doe.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yep, we use them quite a bit here in FL. I have seen them do some unbelivable things. The first deer I ever shot with a bow would have been lost if not for the dog. It went about 500yds and was found in about waist deep water. When we got in there to it, the dog was swimming around the deer.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i love mine

My little beagle emmy will find anything for me. i have taken her out since she was big enough to walk through the woods. She does an amazing job i have found several deer that i would never have found without her. One of the most memorable expieriences was when my girlfiend shot a doe with her 37# High Country, hit it high from a treestand and there wasnt an exit wound which = little to no blood. I was running emmy and my buddy and brother were on there hands and knees looking for blood behind us, but there wasnt a drop for 200+ yards. emmy went straight to it. i wouldnt trade her for the world.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Its illegal here in New Jersey as well. I was at the Qdma convention In Phildelphia in 2006 and bought a book about tracking dogs. Its pretty interesting. I actually have two minature Dachshunds. Turns out they would have been great if I started them young.
Arrow is a great dog. Actually, you can train about any dog to blood trail, although some breeds are a little better than others. Your mini dachshunds would be perfect, and I wouldn't assume it's too late to start them. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks to Buckshot

Thanks to Buckshot's great nose. I would of lost a nice doe.It wasent a bad hit. The broadhead did not do its job. After finding the deer and fielddressing it the ATOM broadhead made a hole the same size as a fieldtip through her heart. She only went 60yards with hardly no blood and it being pitch dark I would never found her. Were I live in South Florida I could not of left her over night.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Art May currently N.J. has a provisional to allow a few people to use tracking dogs. This is the second year they have allowed it. There first year was very good and they were allowed to add a couple people this year. Hopefully in the next few years they will change the law and allow others to use tracking dogs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have seriously thought about getting a pup to train i have done some research on the breeds and how to train them just don't need a third dog right now .

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did you find your information?

Art May currently N.J. has a provisional to allow a few people to use tracking dogs. This is the second year they have allowed it. There first year was very good and they were allowed to add a couple people this year. Hopefully in the next few years they will change the law and allow others to use tracking dogs.
I am interested in training a dog for tracking. I thought NewJersey didnt permit it. I was wondering what information You already know? I could research it. Just curious whats involved with the provisional you mentioned. Not being from this state how do you know?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I bought a Bavarian Dachshund bred specifically for finding wounded deer. He found his first at 9 weeks old, and has now found 6 total. The last two he found were shot 15 hrs. prior. He is unbelievable! He was 12 weeks old in his picture.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Tracking is teamwork, and you need a smart dog that has been trained to get the job done efficiently...
Many breeds will work, but I prefer Blue Lacys...

You can find out much more about them at my website http://www.MSLacyDog.com
Many of these pups are making recoveries at less than three months of age...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Clifford,

That is a great looking Lacy dog!!! I love that pic. I've got a blue Blue Lacy and she had found several deer that I wouldn't have found. I can't wait for all my friends to shoot deer so I can help them track with my dog.

It's a lot of fun and will save you from loosing deer. Bella has found deer late the next morning after a night of rain even!!

I highly recommend a dog. If you need a pet anyway, it might as well be a tracking dog. Blue Lacy's are breed for it and as you can see are beautiful dogs!! another web page: lacydog.com

This dog is built to run and run fast. Look at the muscle on Clifford's dog. Mine is like that too. Be ready for extra high energy!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am a board member of UBT and responsible for the legislative page, so I try current on what states are doing. I will send you a p.m. later tonight for one of the guys that is being allowed to track. You can talk to him about the specifics.

Guys love those Laceys. I have recomended them to a lot of people for use as tracking dogs and so far everone loves the work their dog does.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
I've already started asking my friends to freeze deer blood.

I'm going to start my pup on it next summer (he's not even conceived yet).

In NY, it's a real pain to get the permit. That and the wheelchair issue is kind of discouraging.......but I'm going to try anyway.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts