Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of sending out some letters to local landowners that do not live on the property, has anybody ever done this with success? Would love to hear what has worked for you, and if you have a copy of your letter.

Thanks,

Chris

· Registered
876 Posts
I

would pretty much just chunk it in the trash if I got one of those letters. I WOULD consider it if someone stopped by and talked, I liked them, I got a good felling about them, etc.

To be honest, if I got a letter I pretty much would immediately consider it a cop-out and someone who is just trying to save time and not develop a relationship.

About the only way I would think you would have success is if someone really has a "problem" with deer overpopulation etc. and you provided a ton of references, etc.

I personally would fuel up the truck, put on nice clothes, and knock on some doors.

· Registered
106 Posts
Had really bad luck with that...

Chris,
I posted something on here in the summer about the same subject and most folks said the same thing....get out on the streets, meet and greet and you will be better off. For the most part that is what I did and it did pay off. There was one place that was posted with 'No Tresspassing' signs so I sent and letter and let me tell you what...it was a very bad experience and I won't do it again. The lady was very rude and basically threatened me. Needless to say I would get out and see the people and you will be better off.

Good Luck!!

· Registered
2,487 Posts
I had some success years ago. I made the following points in my letter:

- started the letter saying I chose not to knock on your door to minimize inconvenience and awkwardness
- life-long resident attending the following schools
- Married xx years with children ages xx and xx, going to xxx schools
- gainfully employed at xxxx
- bowhunting only - and will not hunt during gun season (my preference)
- no friends or guests will ever accompany me
- offer to help with any farm chores and sharing of meat (didn't think this was really that significant, but the offer was meaningful)
- Something I considered, but ended up not including was the offer to lease the land for a price if after the first year of hunting was fruitful - decided that this introduced money and would start a whole different discussion

I probably dropped off about 50 letters and got 3 oks. But more interestingly and actually more rewarding was I had 3 other people call me and tell me no, but said they appreciated the letter and approach.

· Registered
606 Posts
I have done something similar to what pegasis0066 did. I used the letter to let them know who I was and that I would be stopping by to introduce my self and ask permission to hunt. I give them my phone number to call me if they do not want me to stop by. If they call I have a chance to talk my way into a meeting. If they dont they either did not read the letter or they did and it wont be a surprise when I show up.

I also include a list of references that include, state police, local chief, a current selectman and most importantly a list of people who have given me permission to hunt on posted property.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.