Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Sand Springs, OK. I've been turkey hunting once when I was growing up with my dad about 10 or 12 years ago in Indiana and we didn't see any turkey during that time. I'm would like to have someone help me get my first turkey this fall with either bow or gun, prefer gun for first turkey so I just break the ice so to speak, but would also be open to bow if that is the way the cookie crumbled.

Jason

· Registered
627 Posts
Hey Jason,

Get into the NWTF in Tulsa. A good friend of mine, Scott Keck, is the chairman. That would be a great place to start.

Here is some free advice for fall turkeys. You know you get what you are paying for with advice.

Find some turkeys.
Scout them and see where they gather before going to roost.
Put your blind up in that field with 4-6 decoys early enough to beat the birds
Put the decoys within 10 yds of the blind.
Don't brush in the blind. The turkeys don't care.

Call very little. The birds are used to seeing birds in this field so when they start to show up they will see your decoys and think they are late to the party. More often than not they will come right over to your decoys.

Draw back you bow and shoot your first turkey.
Post the pic with the story here for us all to see.

I have shot several this way in the fall. Some as close as 6 feet from the blind

Good luck,

John

· Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GoDoe, thanks for the advice.....it was definitely worth the price I paid for it. I was sort of looking for someone, for lack of a better term, to sort of hold my hand.

Okay, so does anybody have any good leads on where some of the areas that are close to me that might be better than other areas to find a decent number of birds? Hunting Oklahoma is new to me, I grew up hunting Indiana.

Jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.