Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could be fun for this area, but they didn't give much info on the range. Is it going to be a field range? Who's going to run it?

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2009/12/bay_county_pinconning_park_awa.html

Bay County Pinconning Park awarded $325,000 grant for renovations and archery range
By Michael Wayland | The Bay City Times
December 18, 2009, 9:50AM
An archery range and floating fishing dock are two improvements planned for Bay County Pinconning Park in the next two years.

Bay County was awarded a $325,000 grant from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to improve the park located at 3041 E. Pinconning, adjacent to Saginaw Bay.

The grant will pay to extend a 2,000-foot-long trail in the park to 10,000 feet. The trail will feature more boardwalks and a crushed limestone path.

Other improvements include making the park wheelchair accessible and improving the six cabins that the park rents to visitors.

Mike Grey, assistant Bay County executive for accounting and administrative services, said together the enhancements should make it a more popular park.

“We think that archery is a very popular thing with young people, old people and hunters,” he said.

The township is in the planning stages in preparation for receiving the grant. Construction will most likely start in the spring, Grey said.

Rick Pabalis, Bay County superintendent of building and grounds, said he has fished for bass at the park with great success and can’t wait to see the floating fishing dock and enhancements.

Pabalis said the majority of the extended nature trail will be parallel to Cody Estey and the fishing platform is planned for the south end of the roughly 208-acre park.

·
Registered
97 Posts
They opened a small 3-D target range in the Ortonville Recreation Area Shooting Range by my house this year. They put up about 9 or 10 3D targets along a path near the shooting range. For the usual $4 shooting range fee it wasn't too bad (better than shooting at the same ole block in my backyard). The range officers i talked to were pretty excited about it. They said that they would like to set up an outdoor target range as well (I've asked them about it several times)

Sounds like a nice setup coming in Bay City....good to see some of this federal grant money going towards things that "I" can enjoy for once.

·
Registered
186 Posts
First I've heard of it and I live only 9 miles away. Been launching out of the park all summer, Plenty of water for small boats, and at $3 a launch or $25 for seasonal its a heck of a deal. I guess I'll have to take a ride down and ask someone. Not sure if anyone will be there now that its mostly shut down for the winter. Would be pretty cool addition though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts