Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Twas thinking, instead of going around my rest I would go under the rest bracket then up the "backside" of the riser facing me....

Kinda outlined in blue here.....I would have the multifiber tube taking over from the little tubes underneath the sight bracket

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Well Jose...it looks like you have a rheostat sight light on that puppy already...adding that much fiber will just make them very very bright all the time. Maybe a little overkill?

·
Registered
96 Posts
dont do it

i had to cut mine back alot the were so bright i got a little bit of haloing of the site, i think it would be way more than you need. jmo

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
off subject

Where do you get these Fitz Fibers you speak of? Need some for my new Hogg it.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alrighty....so just wrapping around the sight housing should do it...

I don't want to have to use the light, unless I get to hunt at night..I like the bracket protecting the fibers also

thanks, JB

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Fitz has two types of fiber SD (short distance) and LD (long distance)

If you are only going to wrap it around your sight, make sure you get the SD. It is very bright up to 6 inches but begins to dim at longer lengths.

If you are going to use lengths over 6", get the LD fibers. They get brighter the longer they are out to about 60". They do need to be longer than 6" to be very bright to start with though.

The website explains all this very well.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jcmorgan31 said:
Fitz has two types of fiber SD (short distance) and LD (long distance)

If you are only going to wrap it around your sight, make sure you get the SD. It is very bright up to 6 inches but begins to dim at longer lengths.

If you are going to use lengths over 6", get the LD fibers. They get brighter the longer they are out to about 60". They do need to be longer than 6" to be very bright to start with though.

The website explains all this very well.
I got the LD cause I will be going from 1 to 2ft

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Jose Boudreaux said:
I got the LD cause I will be going from 1 to 2ft

Anything over 10-13" is over kill on the LDs. In fact I would stick with what ever the minimum they recomend for each fiber is. I think some of the colors are to bright and I am only running about 12" of fiber. Anything more than that is just for show, plus the. I took the standard colors out of my pins and now run 5 blue LDs. I don't need the light I have on the sight until it gets to dark outside to shoot, if I do turn it on I don't notice a difference in brightness. If I was placing my order again. I would just order the SD fiber and just run it the length of the pin.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brown Hornet said:
Anything over 10-13" is over kill on the LDs. In fact I would stick with what ever the minimum they recomend for each fiber is. I think some of the colors are to bright and I am only running about 12" of fiber. Anything more than that is just for show, plus the. I took the standard colors out of my pins and now run 5 blue LDs. I don't need the light I have on the sight until it gets to dark outside to shoot, if I do turn it on I don't notice a difference in brightness. If I was placing my order again. I would just order the SD fiber and just run it the length of the pin.
Brownie you do any hunting from blinds???

That's pretty much what I am looking at....double bull....thanks, JB

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I hunt out of a DB Matrix...

Good afternoon, Jose B.,

I don't have the Fitz, however, I do have the FOP fibers in my Spot-Hogg. They run about 3/4 of the length of my Hogg-It sight bar. They're roughly 7-8" long, and even with the sun shield attached I can still see out of it with no issues at all. When it's close to dark, the red is the only one that is difficult to see, and it's possible that I didn't mushroom out the end quite enough when I installed it in the pin turret. The rest of them are pretty bright until roughly 10 minutes to dark. I tried a foot or so of the fiber, and it wasn't brighter during the evenings, and when it's bright out (either mid-day or in a well-lit area) a couple of the colors are so bright they're annoying.

Just a thought. Good luck with whatever your decided result.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Wile_E_Coyote said:
Good afternoon, Jose B.,

I don't have the Fitz, however, I do have the FOP fibers in my Spot-Hogg. They run about 3/4 of the length of my Hogg-It sight bar. They're roughly 7-8" long, and even with the sun shield attached I can still see out of it with no issues at all. When it's close to dark, the red is the only one that is difficult to see, and it's possible that I didn't mushroom out the end quite enough when I installed it in the pin turret. The rest of them are pretty bright until roughly 10 minutes to dark. I tried a foot or so of the fiber, and it wasn't brighter during the evenings, and when it's bright out (either mid-day or in a well-lit area) a couple of the colors are so bright they're annoying.

Just a thought. Good luck with whatever your decided result.
Did you have any problems with the FOP fibers varying in diameter? I bought my first set of fibers from them and had a lot of problems threading the fibers through the pins. I could take one end and it would go through fine, but the other end wouldn't even come close. A few pieces had areas that looked crushed. I hope they are shipping better fiber than what I got in April.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I guess I got lucky...

Mine arrived in pretty good shape. I am, however, glad that you've at least seen the FOPs. Since you have now seen both, I'm interested in your opinion regarding the two brands in comparison. Thoughts? In my case, the FOP fibers were certainly better than the cheap ones that Spot-Hogg uses, so by comparison it was an instant improvement. (Plus, they were longer, so maybe it wasn't quite a fair comparison.) I do wish, however, that the red was brighter in low light.

I didn't have any problem getting them into the pin turrets, though. If anything, two of them (the red, and I believe the yellow) looked a bit narrower than 0.019. The rest were good.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Here is my opinion. I'm basing it off of 2 sets of fiber received from each company.

From FOP I got .029 fibers and from Fitz, I got .019. That alone could make the difference in flexibility. Some of the FOP fibers folded when bent. The Fitz fibers did not fold when bent farther than the FOP. Like I said, diameter affects how much you can bend the fiber.

The Fitz fiber was consistent in diameter. I could thread it through the pin hole and pull the whole fiber through with no binding. The entire fiber was usable with no defects throughout the length of the fiber. The FOP was inconsistent in diameter. I had .029 fiber and I could thread a part of it through the pin hole, then pull it through and it would bind. There were also places in the fiber that were damaged. It wasn't from shipping, it just looked shattered.

The FOP pieces that I was able to use, worked just fine and were plenty bright. There was a lot of the fiber that I could not use. Fitz seemed to be higher quality.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Good to know, JC...

Thanks for that info. As inexpensive as the fiber is in general, I may have to get some just to compare. I may like it enough to switch 'em out...:thumbs_up

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I set up three pins last night with some fitz fibers(.019).....very flexible and they did well and brightness don't even describe these babies compared to my regular pins

I had taken some Nyquil(upper sinus infection :rolleyes: ) so I don't really remember all of it but all three are still intact today :wink: ..
my total fiber length will be about 19-21"

I tested them out in varying darkness and they do great...when you really need it they emit that soft glow instead of nothing compared to the other pins...

I will just have the small tubes wrapped around the sight bar(near the 3rd axis adjustment) then they will go into the bigger tube which will come up from under the sight to ontop back towards the front of the sight

·
Registered
262 Posts
FOP I believe sells polystyrene fibers with a external coating, which may cause the fibers to be inconsistent in diameter. FitzFIBERs are 100% acrylic, so there's no coating required, and they're designed with a tolerance of less than 1-1000th of an inch, which helps too. The red fibers we have will stay bright even past dusk, especially the longer LDs, if anyone is worried about color fade at the end of the day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts