Archery Talk Forum banner

Anybody sharpen "replaceables"?

410 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  LAMADMAN
Particularly Muzzy 3-blades? 4-blade Muzzys and thunderheads aren't near the challenge, even though it's still tedious. The bent spine of the blades is giving me some major headaches.

So far the method I've come up with involves clamping them in my lansky so I can get a good hold on them and then using a crock stick sharpener made by spyderco. (HIGHLY recommend the spyderco for knives!!)

Trouble comes when trying to strop. The right edge...if looked at from the ferrule...is no problem, but the left is a pain.

ANY got ideas?

(Before someone says to just buy new ones, I do occasionally. But I see no reason to not sharpen them several times first. PLUS, out-of-box sharpness is not on par for me. Have one buddy who swears you mess up the weight. I keep meaning to weight them after 3 or 4 sharpenings to shut him up but never have. Can't be more than 2gr honest guess is its more like 1...and my nerdy mind tends to thing a 3mph head wind and barometric pressures can make as much difference as 0.5%-0.25% arrow weight difference. You better be measuring out your insert and fletching glue if you think that much matters) Dismount Soapbox.

If you even mention Slicks.......:faint: lol
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,395 Posts
I always sharpen my broadheads. If they are not damaged no sense throwing them out. I also use a Sharpmaker (Spyderco) and I have several strops. I take them apart and strop them to RAZOR sharp.

· Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sharpmaker's what I'm using. LOVE it for knives that I don't need to rebevel. (It's just not aggressive enough change the blade geometry.) Since I actually prefer a non-stropped edge on my pocketknives and my dedicated-skinning knifes it's worth it's weight in gold.

I really think a non-stropped broadhead would perform as well or better....but stropping is the only way I can truely tell how sharp I've gotten them. It's a "revealer" of sorts...and gives me a little more confidence in my equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.