Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, what extras did you get and how do you like it? Got a video from them and checked out the website but you know how that goes! Wanted to ask people who are not trying to make a sale:)

Thank you!
Jim
 

·
Bow Bender
Joined
·
6,317 Posts
ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE!

I bought the gun hunters special with the bow hunters platform, and the chill pad. I have the bow holder and put the gun holders on when I am going to muzzleload.

I have the old style levelors, but just got my new ones in and will be replacing them before I do any climbing this year.

I don't hike a long way with mine as it is a little on the heavy side, but not much. Mine packs down very nice and flat, and is easy to use with a little practice.

I love the fact you are very safe in this stand. Get sleepy? TAKE A NAP! I have shot more game while I was "resting". It is extremely comfortable and I would not want to sit in any other stand. Plenty of room to stretch out and relax.

I thought I might not like the platform being away from the tree when you stand up, but it doesn't bother me one bit now that I have used it.

I put a fanny pack around the middle of the stand to put the extra things in it, and I zip tied a tree saw to one side so I can knock off those annoying little limbs as you go up.

Once in place, this stand is really safe. I like the built in safety system, and how the thing locks to the tree.

Most of your setup is on the ground, which is nice. Climb up, secure to the tree, turn around and hunt!

I've modified mine a little bit, and added a few things to it. But these are great stands. The old ones were very heavy. The new ones are not the lightest things in the woods, but I dare say you won't find one more confortable. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Super 91! I don't mind heights if I have something solid under me! I tried several stands last year and just was not comfortable with them. These seemed to be more what I was looking for but I didn't want to go by a sales pitch and commercials!

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
JE I have a friend that has one in storage. Went back to his API stand. I sat in for a afternoon great to sleep in but took some work to shot out of it with a Rifle and a pain to left yourself up to make a standing bow shot. He has had it in stroage for going on three years. I would go with something else. I personally like the Grand Ol Man \. I can face the tree or away. Has a foot rest or flip it and its a Rifle rest.:pepsi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
beanur said:
JE I have a friend that has one in storage. Went back to his API stand. I sat in for a afternoon great to sleep in but took some work to shot out of it with a Rifle and a pain to left yourself up to make a standing bow shot. He has had it in stroage for going on three years. I would go with something else. I personally like the Grand Ol Man \. I can face the tree or away. Has a foot rest or flip it and its a Rifle rest.:pepsi:

Is there a link to check that one out?

Thanks
Jim
 

·
Bow Bender
Joined
·
6,317 Posts
beanur said:
JE I have a friend that has one in storage. Went back to his API stand. I sat in for a afternoon great to sleep in but took some work to shot out of it with a Rifle and a pain to left yourself up to make a standing bow shot. He has had it in stroage for going on three years. I would go with something else. I personally like the Grand Ol Man \. I can face the tree or away. Has a foot rest or flip it and its a Rifle rest.:pepsi:
If he or you were having trouble getting up out of it then you did not have the right angle on the stand. If you bow hunt, then you need a steeper angle so that you will not be laying back so much, but almost in a ready to stand position.

I don't have a problem standing up in mine, and in the mean time, I am very comfortable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
811 Posts
Have you sit in a Summit? I have the Viper and can sit all day, and my back ain't what it used to be. I looked at the Tree Lounge, almost bought one, It looked like I would have trouble standing for a Bow Shot. They do look comfortable though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Super 91 said:
If he or you were having trouble getting up out of it then you did not have the right angle on the stand. If you bow hunt, then you need a steeper angle so that you will not be laying back so much, but almost in a ready to stand position.

I don't have a problem standing up in mine, and in the mean time, I am very comfortable.

I noticed that they showed the stand needed to be level when attaching it to the tree and then adjustments could be made when you got to the desired height.


glockman55, I honestly don't know which ones I did try!:embara: A co-worker is a tree stand fanatic and he had me try several of his. 1 slipped on the tree when I stepped on it (attached with a chain) and the others felt like they were built for a 5 year old. My toes were sticking over the edge on the "platform", and the seat felt like it was about 4 by 6 inches!:eek: And I"m only about average size, 5' 10", 175 lbs.

Just could not imagine spending too much time in those things, let alone a full day of hunting!

Thanks
Jim
 

·
Bow Bender
Joined
·
6,317 Posts
JEofWV said:
I noticed that they showed the stand needed to be level when attaching it to the tree and then adjustments could be made when you got to the desired height.


glockman55, I honestly don't know which ones I did try!:embara: A co-worker is a tree stand fanatic and he had me try several of his. 1 slipped on the tree when I stepped on it (attached with a chain) and the others felt like they were built for a 5 year old. My toes were sticking over the edge on the "platform", and the seat felt like it was about 4 by 6 inches!:eek: And I"m only about average size, 5' 10", 175 lbs.

Just could not imagine spending too much time in those things, let alone a full day of hunting!

Thanks
Jim
Right. You will learn to judge the size of the tree and the angle you might want to start from, but this come with just about any stand. Once you get to the height you want, you can use the angle adjuster to make it however you need it.

This stand makes me stay in the tree longer. The only reason I get down is I have to go anyway, or I get too cold. And with the chill pad, it keeps your back sides pretty toasty!

I am 5'9" and weigh (gulp) 220 lbs, and I am very comfortable in the stand and using it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
811 Posts
Too bad you couldn't use or at least sit in a Tree Lounge, I was able to sit in one at my Bow Shop, they had it set up to try. My Summit Viper 5 is comfy, but like it's been mentioned you have to get used to whatever one you buy. I always get mine out before season at practice climbing before I go to the woods. http://www.summitstands.com/.. I think mine weighs 18 lbs.

Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
I've hunted out of the treelounge for over 15yrs now,lost count of the deer that I've killed out of it.Great stand,I can stay as long as I want and my old bad back is not killing me.For bowhunting I set my stand at a much steeper angle,much easier to stand up that way.Heavy,yes but I feel more secure in this stand than any on the market today.Like any thing else you just have to try it to see if you like it.I have two of them and looking for a third!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
I have a tree lounge. Would not buy another or refer to anyone for bow hunting. To far from the tree, to heavy, for me. It is awesome for gun hunting if you can leave it in the woods. But if you can leave a stand use a ladder or build a permanent in MO. I have not used mine in 5-6 yrs, since I bought a Summit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
I love mine. I have two. You have to think about what you are going to be doing when you set it up, and adjust the angle correctly. When you do this sitting up is no problem. They make a bow hunters cushion which helps get you out of the hole to stand for the bow shot. I have also shot with a bow from a seated position. Its a great, safe stand. Guys either love em or hate em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
glockman55 said:
Have you sit in a Summit? I have the Viper and can sit all day, and my back ain't what it used to be. I looked at the Tree Lounge, almost bought one, It looked like I would have trouble standing for a Bow Shot. They do look comfortable though.
I agree with glock, Get ya a summit, youll love it:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ashadow315 said:
I love mine. I have two. You have to think about what you are going to be doing when you set it up, and adjust the angle correctly. When you do this sitting up is no problem. They make a bow hunters cushion which helps get you out of the hole to stand for the bow shot. I have also shot with a bow from a seated position. Its a great, safe stand. Guys either love em or hate em.

That explains why in the pics on the site the bowhunting model seemed to sit higher than the gunhunter model, the cushion! That one had me confused because they looked like the same stand but the seat angle was different.

Thanks guys for all the responses!
Jim
 

·
Just beat Terry Club
Joined
·
9,334 Posts
I heard they are like standing on the end of a diving board. Plus I like the tree at my back when I stand up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Don't do it dude!

Gave mine to my poor brother. It was great when it already set up and ready to climb into. Pretty noisy though, not one to take out in the middle of darkness and try to set up. Alot of clanking....comfortable as all get out, but noisy as hail.

Heavy, especially once you start adding accessories such as the bowhunter adapter. Pretty springy out on the end, got to wait unti you stop bouncing before you take a shot. Did I mention it was heavy?

I purchased a Summit Razor SS, and absolutely love it. Close, but not as comfortable as a TreeLounge. If your going to spend the dough, I'd get a Summit!:wink:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top