Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yup, the cheap ones you can get at WalMart for $7 or your bow shop for $10.

I picked up a half dozen 3 packs for about $4 a pack on eBay. They are the Ti-2 Extreme Titanium and the Terminator 2 Titanium broadheads. they are the same except one has a chisel cut tip and the other a conical tip. These are compact 3 blade broadheads with a 1" cutting diameter that fly like field points for the most part.

They seem sharp and are steel construction and I think they will hold together. But seeing that a lot of folks are using Muzzys and Slick Tricks and other much more expensive broadheads, I would like to find somebody who has sucessfully used these "cheapies".

I spin tested several of these and have to throw away about 1 in 4 because they don't align good on the arrow. The rest spin true.

After doing that....has anybody actually shot deer with these and have any opinions on them? it would be a shame to part with them if they are fine but I don't have confidence in them because they are "cheap". It would be a huge shame if they stink and I lose an animal because of it....I'll get some Muzzys if I have the slightest indication that these won't do the job everytime I connect with an animal!!!

thanks for the input

Attachments

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I played with a few of the Ti-2's because just like you, wal-Mart had a heck of a deal on them after the season last year and I figured for $5 what the heck.

That being said, I wouldn't shoot them at a living creature if my life depended on it, well, maybe small game and groundhogs. They flew great, but after about 3 shots per head the blades started coming loose and a few even fell out shooting in to a BAG target stuffed with shrink wrap :eek:

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Nay-sayers everywhere. I have a couple packs of the Titanium Sabre 100's and they are decent. I used one on my buck last year, and place a perfect heart shot, rendering him as dead as any deer that was killed last year in 50yds. One of the blades did break, but the other 2 are still sharp, and in good condition. I think one of the plades broke in part because I shot him from above, slipping the arrow in between his shoulder blade and spine, and blowing out of his sternum, but I didn't get a complete pass-through because he flattened out when the arrow hit him, leaving about 4.5" of arrow sticking out the top of his back as he ran 50 yds. to his death, rolling over twice as he fell 2 different times. The other ones that I have left have been in and out of my BH target at least 20x each, and they are showing no problems.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i've shot them into targets, and they fly straight. after a few shots they don't seem to hold up very well. i'm another one that wouldn't use them on deer. the nap nitron's that i used along with the easton's didn't show any wear or lose their blades. i hit the off shoulder of a buck last year with the nitron's and it was still in great shape.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Ti-2's

I killed 3 deer last year with them...the were sharp, flew straight, and passed right through our little Texas whitetails here...for 5 bucks, I'd rather shoot them than 40 dollar brand names.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh man, I wouldn't bother shooting the Ti-2 again in my life.

Accuracy is good(due to small cutting diameter) but extremely poor durability. Tip have hard time penetrating leather. Blades retention is at its worst, lost one at a time in a foam target. Ferrule bent after three shot into the phone book. Pretty dull blades that wouldn't cut anything unless you're shooting it.

Seriously if I were you I wouldn't trust the broahead to be use for big game hunting. Better save them for small games.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I got a clean pass through last year at 15 yards on a doe with the ti-2 extreme. Also look at the Sabre Titanium, Larget cutting diameter and more like a Thunderhead.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I shot a mature doe last year with the Terminator 2 Titanium's. Got a complete passthrough with cuts from all blades on both sides of the deer. Somewhere between the hit and the recovery ALL blades were gone. They flew perfectly at all yardages and blade sharpness was excellent, but after the blades were shed, I don't think i'd use them on deer again. Turkeys...different story.

JP

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
OverMyHead,
I've used the Terminator 2 for groundhogs with good success, but that's what I intended using them for, small game.

I've also used the Silver Strike (3 blade mechanical broadhead w/chisel tip), with good success....for groundhogs.

I would rather pay more for a premium broadhead with a better reputation, for large game. :thumb: Reason: The same reason I hear coyote hunters, waterfowl hunters, etc. complaining about high costs of their ammo. Ammunition/Broadheads are the least expense of a hunt. Why would anyone cut corners on the most important and critical part of a hunt? :hand:

Take some pride in your hunt! Purchase the best broadhead you can afford! :nod:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
I used The Mechanical's on wild animals.

Just to let you know I was impressed with the 3 blade mechanical braodhead with the chisel tip. The blades held up well except when it went through and hit rocks.:ROFLMAO: !

I used them cause they were cheap ($). Also flew just like my field points. I didn't have the resources to tune fixed blade heads.

So if they fly well and you want to shoot em'; give them an honest try.

Or do like me and just screw on a Muzzy!

Good luck

Airborne All the Way!

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
I used a walmart cheepy eastman silver tip mech. on this brute. It may actually be a stronger head than the Rockets. I was impressed that when I pulled it out of the ground everything was still straight.

bowmunk1.jpg

bowmunk2.jpg

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good shot :RockOn:

Mmmm, chipmunk! :hungry:

quote:
"I would rather pay more for a premium broadhead with a better reputation, for large game. Reason: The same reason I hear coyote hunters, waterfowl hunters, etc. complaining about high costs of their ammo. Ammunition/Broadheads are the least expense of a hunt. Why would anyone cut corners on the most important and critical part of a hunt?

Take some pride in your hunt! Purchase the best broadhead you can afford!"

Can't argue with your logic here, at all. And with mixed reviews above....I'm going to get some Muzzy's.
thanks for all the input.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I almost picked up a pack of these for testing.

I will ....but next spring :wink:

I think I need to spend some time testing all this walmart stuff since the last test was such a disaster.

I did pick up a pack of Allen spiders for inspection and they are by far the worse expandables I have ever seen in my hands.

Bar None! :thumbs_do

·
Registered
896 Posts
is the spider the 2 or 3 blade allen. my dad and his friend are having great luck from the allen 3 blade on deer and hogs. they shoot them once and retire them but they usually come out in great shape

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
OverMyHead said:
I'm getting the impression that Allen and Eastman products...well you get what you pay for.
I would tend to agree with you on the Allen products, but the Eastman seem to be half decent. Actually, you may take a look and see the name on the Carbon Express Arrows. Eastman Outfitters are the company making Carbon Express Arrows.

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
The more I test the silvertips the more impressed I am with them. Chippy #2 with the same head as the first. Almost decaped.
Sept 3RD 005 (2).jpg

The head then stuck into a tree and it's still straight and undamaged.
I then took it to shoot through a steel garbage can to give a real test of toughness.
The top left was from the silvertip. It lost one blade on the back of the can and the other 2 were slightly bent. This thing has been shot into the ground a few times so I think it is definently strong enough.
Sept 3RD 010.jpg

The middle top was a muzzy 100 that I pried the hole open to get the fletching out. The far right was a rocket sidewinder and all 3 blades were bent dramaticly but unbroken. And the bottom was a Thunderhead 85. Both the muzzy and thunderhead were unscaved in my test.
Sept 3RD 013.jpg

My final take is I don't have one. I think any of these heads would take bucky out if hit through the ribs. I do like the mech. heads for the diameter and they fly a bit tighter for me. I do shoot a lot and not to brag I'm pretty good so I'm not to worried about a shoulder with my mechs. The one thing with the silvertips is I did a penetration test in double layer corigated cardboard. I simply held the arrow about 4" behind the head and pushed it through. any fixed head pushed through easily. The rocket sidewinder with pathfinder tip was a little harder. The silvertip was a lot harder than the rocket. When I swung the arrow fast both mechn. punched right through.

So I may just use a Silvertip at 85 grains for the first deer if I can get the blades scary sharp. hopefully I'll have a pic of a deer and not a chipmunk!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I spined a muley with the cheapy's from walmart with the conical tip. All three blades remained intact. I got a complete pass through on an elk this year with the same head, only with the chisel tip. The elk went 30 yards before falling over. All blades were intact and still sharp. The head is still in my quiver. I've had good luck with the Eastman heads, but the blades do seem to be thinner than other heads.

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
The blades on the silver tip mechs. are .03"

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
Well what can I say, women want me and chippys fear me! lol

Chippy #3 (3 for 3) this was another Eastman Silvertip. (Now they are called Silver Strikes) From about 7 yds out of my 70# Alpine Archery fast Trac xl. Much faster than my Havoc but I shoot the same arrows (cx300s) but for the chippys I use the cx hunter cheepy walmart arrows as pictured.
The angle looks bad in this pic...............
Bow munk 3.jpg

but thank goodness for the large cutting diameter. lol
Its the old aim for the opposite shoulder trick. IT GONE! And the head was in great shape after sticking into the ground.
Bow munk 3 2.jpg

Then I get home from trap shooting tonight and after 50 straight I pull out the Alpine again for some low light practice. first 2 arrows from 30 yards...
What a night!
robinhood.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts