Archery Talk Forum banner

Anybody using Rocket Miniblaster 75gr b/h's?

1320 Views 24 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Hitman39039
I want to shoot a 75gr expandables out of my DS X-Force and am looking at the Rocket Aerohead Miniblasters or possibly the Mar-Den Mini-Mx 75gr 2-blades. Would like input from anyone who's used either of these heads. Good or bad. Durability is not an issue. More interested in flight characteristics & wound channel/blood trail. Thanks alot.

Dawg
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
9,602 Posts
I used them for the past 4 seasons. I add the pathfinder point and it takes it up to 100 grains. They were awesome. Big holes.

BTW, the addition of the pathfinder point was so I could 100 grains out of them. I would have no problem shooting it with the normal point and 75 grains.

· Registered
517 Posts
Honestly...

Well...
I used them for years. Killed quite a few deer too until I shot a monster 8 point (would have been my biggest buck ever) in the shoulder blade. Arrow only went in about 2 inches and fell out. After I dried my tears :cry: I took all of my mini-blasters off my arrows and gave them away. Went back to fixed blade Muzzy 75 gr. Keep in mind this is just my experience and my opinion. Hope your luck is better than mine.

· Registered
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya PA. All else being equal, I'd like to shoot fixed-blades myself but I can't get "field point flight" out of any of the fixed blades I've shot. I'm getting about 335fps so hopefully penetration won't be a huge issue on Whitetails. Thanks for the input bro.

Dawg

· Registered
517 Posts
I hear ya PA. All else being equal, I'd like to shoot fixed-blades myself but I can't get "field point flight" out of any of the fixed blades I've shot. I'm getting about 335fps so hopefully penetration won't be a huge issue on Whitetails. Thanks for the input bro.

Dawg
No Problem! Always glad to help!
By the way, that's another reason I went with Muzzy's. Flew just like my field points.... Yes, you should be good with 335fps. I was only shooting 250fps with an old Jennings Buckmasters bow when I shot at the big 8 point.

Good luck to you this year! :darkbeer:

· Get out and shoot!
3,807 Posts
Well...
I used them for years. Killed quite a few deer too until I shot a monster 8 point (would have been my biggest buck ever) in the shoulder blade. Arrow only went in about 2 inches and fell out. After I dried my tears :cry: I took all of my mini-blasters off my arrows and gave them away. Went back to fixed blade Muzzy 75 gr. Keep in mind this is just my experience and my opinion. Hope your luck is better than mine.
In my 30 yrs of bow hunting I bounced 2 arrows off a shoulder blade. The 1st was a bear super razorhead and it curled the tip. The second was a Thunderhead 125. If you hit square on the shoulder blade where its thick, no BH will go through. We're supposed to hit ribs.:wink: The 1st deer i took with Mechs I used a Mini BB. That deer went down and out on about 15 seconds. She ended up right below my tree stand.:eek: It was a pretty cool kill. The head was bent up but it was from the ground after blowing through with a 60# bow. Since then I've switched to the Sidewinders because they are a bit more robust with the .036" blades and 1-1/2" doc. I put it to 7 more deer in the last 5 yrs or so with them. I just hope Trophy ridge ups their quality.

· Registered
1,952 Posts
Same experience as pabowhuntman only after switching to fixed blades (SlickTrick)I shot another monster in the shoulder and while it didnt fall out with as little penetration as the rocket it failed to break the shoulder and dispatch the deer. Im shooting a moderately potent setup (358 gr arrow @ 286 fps) So the moral of the story is shoot deer behind the shoulder, and if you hit them anywhere near the right spot I can tell you from experience that with the 1 3/4" cutting diameter of the MiniBlaster you wont have to track him far nor will you be looking for a faint bloodtrail.

Good luck
BD

· Registered
1,858 Posts
I killed my first 23 deer with the Miniblasters, I think? A buddy and I then started adding the Pathfinder point to them (that was before they started offering that head commercially) and it took them up to 92... Killed another 15 or so before I started experimenting with other heads, just because.

I never had one make it more than 75 yards max with any of those... but they were all clean shot placements. Still, a devastating little head.

· Registered
1,858 Posts
I killed my first 23 deer with the Miniblasters, I think? A buddy and I then started adding the Pathfinder point to them (that was before they started offering that head commercially) and it took them up to 92 grains... Killed another 15 or so before I started experimenting with other heads, just because.

I never had one make it more than 75 yards max with any of those... but they were all clean shot placements. Still, a devastating little head.

· Registered
892 Posts
I shot them the first year they came out with them....1994, I think? Anyway, killed 6 with them that season, and they were awesome. Big entry/exit holes, and bloodtrails a blind man could follow. Switched to the Hammerheads the next season, and have had tons of success with them over the years too....

Did shoot a horse that year with the Miniblaster, and he got away....He kept tearing the fence down, and getting in my buddy's food plots, so he put the contract out on him....Sure enough, he came ambling by me at about 30 yards one morning, so I let him have it. Hit him square in the shoulder blade (crappy shot, got excited), and it only went in about 2-3"....We chased that horse all over that place that morning until the arrow finally fell out. He eventually jumped the fence, and escaped our clutches.....Great on deer. Equines,well....Be sure to keep it behind the shoulder.

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Rocket Miniblaster 75 gr. 1 3/4''- I've used it to kill 5 deer, all pass thru shots. Recovery distances of 12, 25, 40, 45, and 60 yards. 1 turkey recovered in 10 yards. The blades may bend or break. I like the head for the excellent blood trails and short recoveries. I don't like the small entry holes. Flies like a field point.

Rocket Wolverine 4 blade 78 gr. 1 1/4''- 2 deer, one spine shot, head held together without blade loss. The other deer was a double lung pass through, recovered in less than 50 yards. No blood was obvious at hit site on 2nd deer. I also shot a bobcat, hit way back, copious blood trail, recovered in 60 yards. This head is like the Wolverine 3P 75 grain, only it had an extra blade. Field point flight.

· Registered
4,635 Posts
I shot them the first year they came out with them....1994, I think? Anyway, killed 6 with them that season, and they were awesome. Big entry/exit holes, and bloodtrails a blind man could follow. Switched to the Hammerheads the next season, and have had tons of success with them over the years too....

Did shoot a horse that year with the Miniblaster, and he got away....He kept tearing the fence down, and getting in my buddy's food plots, so he put the contract out on him....Sure enough, he came ambling by me at about 30 yards one morning, so I let him have it. Hit him square in the shoulder blade (crappy shot, got excited), and it only went in about 2-3"....We chased that horse all over that place that morning until the arrow finally fell out. He eventually jumped the fence, and escaped our clutches.....Great on deer. Equines,well....Be sure to keep it behind the shoulder.
You sound like a well educated Individual. :confused:

Probably better ways to keep a horse out of Your Food Plots. Idiot!

· Registered
892 Posts
You sound like a well educated Individual. :confused:

Probably better ways to keep a horse out of Your Food Plots. Idiot!
Actually yes, I am a well educated individual....A Masters degree in Philosophy. As for your "idiot" comment, that's your opinion. I don't know you, or anything about you, yet I already feel the same way about you. So you can take your opinion, and shove it where the sun don't shine....Boy.

Pertaining to the horse situation....Even though you have no knowledge of what was going on, and I really have no reason to explain my actions to you, or anyone else, I'll go ahead and present a few facts.

1- The owner of the horse had been warned a number of times to keep his animal off of other individuals property. In writing, via Certified Letter, no less. He also had a number of cows doing the same thing.

2- The animal owner still opened his gates to let his animals graze property that was not his own, despite being warned of the consequences. He was going out of his way to take advantage of others people's hard work.

3- Law Enforcement was notified of the situation, and once proper warning had been issued, they gave the green light to take these nuisance animals OUT, which was the case with about a dozen cows. All rules provided by law enforcement were followed in handling this situation, from start to finish. None of the animals were taken to use for human consumption. This was no "vigilante" justice....It was the last act in a legal affair that was going absolutely nowhere.

Soooo.....Question my intelligence all you like. But I have to ask? Would you like some salt for that foot? Idiot, indeed....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.