Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a kick out of watching some martial arts dude try to claim he can catch an arrow in flight. I would like to see some ninja try to catch an arrow out of my 82nd Airborne. All you would hear would be, "Whoops!" and then the sound of a dead ninja hitting the floor.

Automan

· Registered
1,154 Posts
I get a kick out of watching some martial arts dude try to claim he can catch an arrow in flight. I would like to see some ninja try to catch an arrow out of my 82nd Airborne. All you would hear would be, "Whoops!" and then the sound of a dead ninja hitting the floor.

Automan
lmao one of my ex co workers said he could catch an arrow shot from my 101st hehe yeah good luck

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Yes he could... after the arrow stuck in the target. :tongue:
lol well if it gets stuck halfway THROUGH his hand would that count as a catch? maybe when i finally get my new guardian i can try it

· 300 or bust
13,148 Posts
just talked about that here at work,

it was a Freakcurve shooting 176ish FPS that taint to fast

but i agree with automan, let see him catch something out of my 82nd

· Registered
252 Posts
and the conversion from FPS to MPH is .6818, or just divide the mph by .6818, and that comes to 258.192 FPS, which I don't believe......does anyone else remember if they said FPS or MPH....I could of sworn they said MPH

· Banned
1,400 Posts
Mythbusters had the wrong guy. We all know that there is only one person in the world who could pull off this feat:wink:

Long live Chuck!
I don't think Chuck would even attempt to catch it. He would just step in front of it and if by some miracle the arrow penetrated his hide he would simply pull it out and proceed to kick your @$$.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
I don't think Chuck would even attempt to catch it. He would just step in front of it and if by some miracle the arrow penetrated his hide he would simply pull it out and proceed to kick your @$$.
Why would he have to catch it? The presence of Chuck Norris alone would make the arrow explode the moment it leaves the string.

· Registered
6,665 Posts
and the conversion from FPS to MPH is .6818, or just divide the mph by .6818, and that comes to 258.192 FPS, which I don't believe......does anyone else remember if they said FPS or MPH....I could of sworn they said MPH
Thanks for posting the conversion factors.

Something for folks to consider is that even if the arrow was only traveling at 170 fps, that is still 115 mph. An astonishingly brave (or foolish depending on your point of view) feat no matter how you look at it. It's not like a baseball, where you get a glove in front of the ball, with an arrow timing has to be perfect or you get holy.

· Registered
2,418 Posts
Here was what REALLY jumped out at me. The dude was letting Jamie shoot arrows right past him WITH points on them.

I saw two scenarios happening here. Jamine shooting wide right, and shafting the dude....

or, the guy reaching out too quickly, and getting his hand in front of the arrow.

And yes.....170 fps is a drastically fatal arrow speed, thought he admitted that he was only half-drawing the bow, so probably more in the range of 120 fps or so. Still fatal if strick in the head, lung, or heart. I dont think the Native American Indians were shootring much more than 120 fps. Even though they were using flint broadheads, they were still dropping Buffalo with them.

I just thought the episode was dangerous, but fun as usual. :wink:

· Registered
160 Posts
Catching an arrow in flight has been done before sucessfully. There was a guy named Paul Anderson (I think) that at one time was billed as the strongest man in the world and he did it as part of his act to show he was strong and had quick reactions. There also was a guy that used to catch a .22 bullet in his teeth when shot from a gun (not the brightest bulb on the tree). I think he died when he forgot to clamp down on the bullet at one show. No now I remember he died from a toothache!

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Catching an arrow in flight has been done before sucessfully. There was a guy named Paul Anderson (I think) that at one time was billed as the strongest man in the world and he did it as part of his act to show he was strong and had quick reactions. There also was a guy that used to catch a .22 bullet in his teeth when shot from a gun (not the brightest bulb on the tree). I think he died when he forgot to clamp down on the bullet at one show. No now I remember he died from a toothache!
You're kidding right?

A .22 bullet is traveling around 1200-1300 fps. There is no way anyone could catch a bullet in their teeth. If someone were to fire a .22 at your head there would be no catching, you'd be dead.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.