Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a bit concerned because last year it started later and it seemed like we missed most of the action. I had Gobblers in the fields every morning and none of them seemed to concerned with my hens or the live ones.
Now this year with all this early warm weather and it seems like in KY there having a lot of action going on already. Just curious if anyone else is thinking we may be missing most of the action again this year. Interested in your thoughts if u think our season may be starting just a little late ? Plus im already starting to see them struting and gobbling in my area and there is still over a week before our season opener. Thanks

·
teredpse
1,185 Posts
Its the same dates as last year also. I just hope the birds are not all hened up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
It's every year like this in PA also, hunting till May 31st this year, we have summer turkey season here not spring, we had birds putting on a show two months ago

·
Registered
899 Posts
I hunt in mid-Michigan and my season started yesterday, April 17th. This is the earliest it's every started I think. I had a tom lock up at 75 yards with a bunch of hens around him. He was answering my calls but they all slowly walked off. My point is that I just recently started seeing toms displaying and they are already henned up. I hope that if I give them another week things will get better because more hens will go to the nests after fly-down. I'm not sure why you think hunting later is worse. I'm not a turkey expert, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I hate the Indiana opener being so late! Last year was my worst year in over 30 years of turkey hunting. I honestly did not lay my eyes on a turkey during the season. I heard some gobbles, but never saw a bird. Late in the season I had several days that I went at daybreak and never even heard a bird gobble once. It should be impossible to be in the middle of Putnam County and not hear birds before daylight.

One thing I HATE about our DNR is that they are not proactive. They publish the season dates years in advance. Nothing ever changes with season dates. To say "this is how we've always done it" is not a good response.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I feel the season being earlier is better is because I've always felt that's when the turkeys are more aggressive and responsive. When the hens aren't ready to breed just yet so the toms stay on the move looking and they will come in ready to fight any jake it can see looking like it might get lucky. Last year as late as our season was it seemed like all the hens had either been bred or weren't hard to find cause everyone I talked to said the same thing. The toms just seemed uninterested. Especially with this warm winter and early spring the later dates hurt us even more. Maybe I'm wrong but Guys in KY are always 2-3 weeks earlier and their right next to us. Guy all the way as north as Michigan even says his season starts 10 days before ours. I just don't want a repeat of last year's season is all.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
I don't think that's late. As you say to last year..."

" I had Gobblers in the fields every morning and none of them seemed to concerned with my hens or the live ones. "

That not because your late...it's because your early. It's the same here in MN. They're still bachelored...hens are still bunched not receptive and in turn not splitting for their nests.

The last few days i noticed one of the domintate hens split off....they got first dibs...guess who followed. All three toms and They let the rest sit in the field...those hens followed hrs later to the next tree line...i can then get in my truck and watch them all day if I wanted and those hens are
Not on any nest they are feeding all day . They are large flocks yet. That says the toms don't need to seek. Or come to our calls. Our best hunting here in west metro MN hits the first week of May and runs for a few weeks. This is the time most hens are bred and no longer accepting. The toms are split and on the move looking for receptive hens.

My buddy is in West Iowa and it's the same deal. As it is with my buds in southern Wi.
I think the best is yet to come for most of the Midwest.

My take anyway.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe your right about them getting started later but the farmer I hunt on always says he sees them like crazy out in the fields weeks before the season starts then it seems to calm way down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts