Archery Talk Forum banner

Anyone else hate wearing a jacket when it cold?

612 Views 19 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  eclark53520
Im thinking of leaving the heavy jacket at home and trying an extra layer or two and toping it off with a heavy LL Bean wool sweater and sliding on my Incinerator bibs and seeing how low of temperature I can go with it.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
9,486 Posts
the Scentlok Revenant jacket is warm and I can shoot easily with it, the Hydrotherm is nice as well when it is wet out. Iwear the Scentlok AMP Heavy base layer and I am warm and dry. Way more fun to be warm and dry.

· Registered
1,908 Posts
I have always layered. Light and heavy weight merino, thermal/fleece, and a primaloft vest. I'll where an outer shell if it is wet though. I was in stand for a wild snowy 30mph winds and 25 degree sit this year and I was cozy. I believe it is all about creating those thermal zones and keeping warm in and cold out. Layering is best and merino is where it all begins.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
I have what I'd consider a low profile 100% wool coat that's slim enough to not be bulky, but room enough inside that I can still wear a hoodie with it. Not to mention all my other under shirts, base layers, t-shirt as well and I have zero issues with bulk and I have the added benefit of staying warm.

· Registered
30,659 Posts
I understand and agree.....a jacket feels bulky and binding while drawing, next to layers and a vest. To that end, I purchased a heated vest to try out and see if keeping my core upper body toasty will make a difference in the bitter cold. I got away from bibs for a while, but dug some out and they are also better as a heat retention system for me than just pants and a vest. Boots and proper headwear go a long way to keep you warm when it is really cold as well.

· Registered
1,265 Posts
What part of the jacket experience do u not like?

· audentes fortuna iuvat
21,485 Posts
I feel more restricted wearing a bunch of layers than I do with a single base layer and my Fanatic jacket. It really is designed with the bowhunter in mind. The front pouch is great too, It has to be REALY cold for me to break out the incinerator hand muff.

I'll bench the Stratus set up with multiple layers for the single base and Fanatic somewhere in the 30's.

· BIG FRANK....
9,072 Posts
I'd rather be warm than freeze, you can always take it off and put it your pack if you get to warm..But i mostly just wear layers, if i wear a jacket, not a bulky one, i make sure i can shoot comfortably and make sure there is nothing that can get in the way of my shooting..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.