Archery Talk Forum banner

Anyone else having slippage with Grigri?

891 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  bownarra123
Just getting into saddle hunting this year and had my first climb tonight. I have a standard Grigri with 9mm Canyon rope. Had a blast trying out the one stick, but noticed an issue with my Grigri. If I applied pressure with my break hand before sitting back the Grigri would lock just fine. If I slowly sat back or tested the tether the rope it would slide through the Grigri without locking. Has anyone else had a similar issue? I stayed pretty low for the first climb, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable getting up to HH without that always locking. Any info would be appreciated!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Rope is too small a diameter and you absolutely should have a braking hand on the dead rope at all times.
Yes they will lock by themselves but it isn't fail safe or idiot proof to rely on it to lock with no brake hand.
If you don't believe me check out Petzl excellent video on correct useage of the gri-gri.
the main mode of failure of gri-gri's is when they are slowly loaded eg. when you sit back gently onto them....they are meant to 'bite' when the climbers falls = a whole lot more force and applied in a completely different manner.
there are much better ways to self belay.
I've been rock climbing for 20+ years.

· Registered
655 Posts
GRIGRI IS NOT INTENDED TO BE USED THIS WAY!

Grigri is an ASSISTED breaking device, meaning it adds friction when you hold the rope. It does lock when suddenly loaded but that is coincidental, not a property to be relied on. 9mm is at the thinner end of useable range anyways, but the device will work when used appropriately, which is bealying a climber.

Appropriate product for fall arrest is Petzl ASAP.
Petzl RIG can also be applied as it is essentially a grigri without the spring loaded cam.

Petzl provides excellent documentation and instructions on how to use their products. Don’t blame the device if you’re not using it as instructed.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rope is too small a diameter and you absolutely should have a braking hand on the dead rope at all times.
Yes they will lock by themselves but it isn't fail safe or idiot proof to rely on it to lock with no brake hand.
If you don't believe me check out Petzl excellent video on correct useage of the gri-gri.
the main mode of failure of gri-gri's is when they are slowly loaded eg. when you sit back gently onto them....they are meant to 'bite' when the climbers falls = a whole lot more force and applied in a completely different manner.
there are much better ways to self belay.
I've been rock climbing for 20+ years.
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
GRIGRI IS NOT INTENDED TO BE USED THIS WAY!

Grigri is an ASSISTED breaking device, meaning it adds friction when you hold the rope. It does lock when suddenly loaded but that is coincidental, not a property to be relied on. 9mm is at the thinner end of useable range anyways, but the device will work when used appropriately, which is bealying a climber.

Appropriate product for fall arrest is Petzl ASAP.
Petzl RIG can also be applied as it is essentially a grigri without the spring loaded cam.

Petzl provides excellent documentation and instructions on how to use their products. Don’t blame the device if you’re not using it as instructed.
Not blaming the device, just hoping to get some clarity from people familiar with it. So it sounds like that grigri rig functions much more like the madrock safeguard, correct? Is that why the safeguard is a more popular option? Because it locks instantly and is designed with descending in mind.

· Registered
655 Posts
Not blaming the device, just hoping to get some clarity from people familiar with it. So it sounds like that grigri rig functions much more like the madrock safeguard, correct? Is that why the safeguard is a more popular option? Because it locks instantly and is designed with descending in mind.
I don’t have experience with the Safeguard. Just to avoid confusion, you mean Petzl Rig now, which is work positioning/descending device?

Grigri is sports climbing belaying device only. People have abused them a lot, but as you found out it requires some tension on the tag end to catch you.

From quick googling it seems Safeguard is like Rig in function, but smaller and accepts wider range of rope thicknesses. Petzl has some extra features for work use but for tree stand protection I’d probably choose the Safeguard.

Can’t stress enough the importance of learning to use any product properly in safe setting before relying your life on them.

· Registered
218 Posts
You can use your gri-gri in a non-ideal scenario like this if you tie a back up knot on the dead rope. Eg. an overhand on the bight. Pull up a couple of feet slack once you are up there, tie your overhand, even if the gri-gri failed to bite you would only go to the knot.
Look up a blake hitch - tree climbers use it for self belay/ rope capture.
No need to buy a fancy device.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts